The New Raith Rovers Thread

Hi Guys, interesting reading your comments regarding McCord.

Ryan was never the quickest, he even looked slow when playing in League 1 and 2, i would have thought that full time training would have made a difference but he is never going to be a speed merchant, early days though. As for his tackling, McCord was good for 15 yellow cards a season, basically down to his lack of pace he was committing too many late tackles, however certainly last season he cut this out but it meant he rarely went in for challenges and seems to have carried over this trait into this season.

As Alloa fans we were initially disappointed to see the break up of our team but on reflection we only survived the last two seasons thanks to an 96th minute Bob McHugh goal against Cowdenbeath and last season through the play offs against a mediocre League 1 side. The point is we were not that great, McCord was meant to be pulling the strings but didnt score a solitary league goal which for a supposed advanced midfield playmaker is a poor return, like Dumbarton and Livi who have also taken our supposed best players i think expectations may need to be tempered slightly, McCord was a decent player in a OK team who survived mostly down to a great team spirit and a dreadful Cowdenbeath side as opposed to good quality football.

In saying all that i hope it works out for him, he was loyal to us when he had better offers, so good luck to him and enjoy the up coming season guys.

Going by the highlights, we ended the game a lot stronger than I can remember. Vaughan does need to look up to release the ball though, his curling shot near the end, that brought a good diving save out of their keeper, Vaughan should have released it to Robertson there and chances are it would have been a goal. Edited by Rovers1992/1993

I apologise if I have offended anyone

Don't think it's a big issue.

Will be interested to see if we sign Hooper. I think he'd be worth a punt based on last night. Maybe McKinnon was playing his performance down in his interview so he could sign him quickly

Edited by roverthemoon

Don't think it's a big issue.

Will be interested to see if we sign Hooper. I think he'd be worth a punt based on last night. Maybe McKinnon was playing his performance down in his interview so he could sign him quickly

People have mentioned that after the first half hour or so, he became anonymous which is probably true, but the boy probably hasn't had much of preseason training.. And by the half hour mark, he had already created something that only one other person in the squad had created in the last five games. A goal.

Id certainly give him a shot, id rather him over Massen anyway. The conference South is probably our level. Possibly just below our level, but even if he was to score half of that in 29 games up here, that would be a success.

People have mentioned that after the first half hour or so, he became anonymous which is probably true, but the boy probably hasn't had much of preseason training.. And by the half hour mark, he had already created something that only one other person in the squad had created in the last five games. A goal.

Id certainly give him a shot, id rather him over Massen anyway. The conference South is probably our level. Possibly just below our level, but even if he was to score half of that in 29 games up here, that would be a success.

I don't disagree with you but I think maybe another game as a trialist. I'd like to see him come off the bench and make a difference then I'd think more of signing him, I thought he done well for the fact he came to a team he hadn't even heard of at such short notice but with only space for one more player I'd still keep our scope open

I don't disagree with you but I think maybe another game as a trialist. I'd like to see him come off the bench and make a difference then I'd think more of signing him, I thought he done well for the fact he came to a team he hadn't even heard of at such short notice but with only space for one more player I'd still keep our scope open

talking with a couple of my pars pals, they were impressed with hooper on Saturday and hoped they'd be signing him

Tade having the composure to take a penalty is still a funny thought.

Some boy though. Delighted for him.

I remember him missing one for us. I think it was a league cup game against Hamilton. It was a terrible penalty. Edited by Martin Nelson

I remember him missing one for us. I think it was a league cup game against Hamilton. It was a terrible penalty.

Yeah. We won 1-0 and Mark Ferry scored.

We all knew he was missing it the moment he grabbed the ball.

Re- McCord

I think the criticism is harsh. He is not a pace or ground covering player. This will look 'worse' when he is not fit i.e. pre season when games are about getting fit.

However, quality-wise I think he has shown (previous years included) excellent technical ability and clever movement to get on the ball in deep areas. Movement to get on the ball in deep areas and having the confidence to take the ball under pressure and play passes in our own final third and the middle third is something we have not had since... Paquito!? This is something very often overlooked. And without trying to be confrontational etc., usually by those who do not really have an appreciation for footballing footballers.

He may not turn out out to be a great player for the Rovers. But quality-wise he is one of the best we have. So I am hopeful. Also he has been training full time for one month... hopefully this will show a dividend in the next few months. Anyone that has payed part time and then went full time will agree with me that the degree to which your sharpness increases is frightening.