The New Raith Rovers Thread

I am one for saying pre season is for fitness etc.. But c'mon ffs this was a bunch of school boys!! Embarrassing

3 guys in our starting XI 19 and under, another one brought on later. A couple of 21 year olds in there too - ours isn't exactly free of 'school boys'

3 guys in our starting XI 19 and under, another one brought on later. A couple of 21 year olds in there too - ours isn't exactly free of 'school boys'

3??? Cuthbert, Vaughan, Callahan, McKeown, Benedictus, McCord, Craigan, I count that as 7 dude

Oops read wrong sorry dude!!

Edited by mealsonwheels

Thought Vaughan had a great game, cemented his place in the starting 11 if you ask me. McCord had a stinker, reminded me of Fox.... Will definitely be the scapegoat this year. We are lacking the killer instinct tho, very reliant on Stewart at the moment

Edited by Geordie_Munrover

Good to see the young guys getting a game. Bates and Ford did well enough, and Vaughan and Callachan are established first team regulars these days. Can we find another forward from the youth team?

Seriously, sign Kevin Smith from the Fife. He must still have some finishing ability.

I said that to my Grandad on Saturday and he laughed at me. I wasn't joking. Looked far too good to be playing League 2 on Saturday. I'd imagine it's a one off or he has other commitments seeing as he's been there a while now. Shame really.

Thought Vaughan had a great game, cemented his place in the starting 11 if you ask me. McCord had a stinker, reminded me of Fox.... Will definitely be the scapegoat this year. We are lacking the killer instinct tho, very reliant on Stewart at the moment

Agree totally on this apart from the fact lewi needs to start lifting his head and picking a pass at times instead of going alone. A few times tonight he's had chances to square it or slide someone in and he's chosen the wrong option. This could be the difference between winning and losing games during the course of the season. McCord has been very very average every time I've seen him, looks slow, can't tackle and sloppy with passes at times which has been surprising.

Edited by RyanCouserRRFC

It's easy to forget exactly how immobile Fox actually was, but Fox was a sitting midfielder, we're using McCord in the same role.

I can assure you it's not, I'm still having flashbacks.

Appreciate it's a similar role which is slow by nature and I'm far from writing McCord off, he showed at Alloa he's a good player and I actually thought he played well as part of a midfield three against Hearts. But in a two man midfield he's not looked his best thus far for me. Fingers crossed he improves - he seemed to be beating himself up at times tonight which for me is a promising sign, he knows he hasn't been at his best.

Overall, not a great pre-season at all, but ultimately doesn't matter a jot. Of the new signings I like Toshney, Benedictus and Craigen a lot. Petrie and Wighton I need to see more of, and McCord and Megginson have struggled but it's early days yet. Very interesting I felt that Callum Robertson came on ahead of Megginson tonight.

Vaughan could be an absolute star this season but he's going to have to stop being greedy.Still can't believe he was fit all of last season and only played towards the end. Lunacy.

Three wins from three is probably the expectation coming up if we're honest. Not bothered if we go out the tournament on Saturday but after a poor pre-season a win would settle the nerves.

The posters look nice in the concourse. Just a thought can they/ have they considered painting more red white and blue on the breeze blocks etc. Just looks a bit grey and dull. Great work though to recognise the history and players of the club

The posters look nice in the concourse. Just a thought can they/ have they considered painting more red white and blue on the breeze blocks etc. Just looks a bit grey and dull. Great work though to recognise the history and players of the club

Yup, that's what we need, paint the place to resemble the Louden Tavern.

The trialist did nothing for me tonight. He looked very laboured, immobile, and want exactly putting himself about. Young Robertson came on and offered more in 15 mins. I'm not saying he's the answer but I'd far rather have him off the bench than waste a wage on Hooper. As others have said...if that's him trying what will he be like if he has a stinker one day!

I actually agree with McCord remarks about being 2 in midfield. From what I've seen I'm not sure we suit a 4-4-2 based on the players we currently have. I think Craigen is being slightly wasted out wide and would like to see him come infield and form a 3 and surprised we haven't experimented more with formations during friendlies.

McKinnon in his post match interview saying he's still looking at other players (other than JJ and Masson) with the hope to bring one more in. Anyone know the script if trialist's can play in cup games?

I actually thought Hooper did okay in the first half. His touch seemed reasonably assured and he did well for the goal. There's also only so much you can do as a striker when your team doesn't have the ball, although Vaughan did at least shuttle back and help out a bit more when we were toiling.

He faded in the second half, although in his defence, there were at least two occasions in the second period where we had the break and he'd found a pocket of space, but didn't receive the pass. It's been pretty frustrating how many times in the five games where a player has made the wrong choice in the final third.

That said, we certainly took the game by the scruff of the neck when Robertson came on, although he looked like he went wide with Anderson through the middle.

Thought we looked good in the final quarter-of-an-hour, and like a couple of folk have already pointed out, if/when Vaughan learns when to release players, rather than take on another man, he could turn into a pretty formidable player.

Edited by McGuigan1978