The New Raith Rovers Thread

he's another midfielder and tbh if we're only to sign one more player i would rather it be a forward

Looked more of a winger to me, which would be a wee bit competition. Craigen looks decent out wide, but would like to see him in the middle with either Callachan or McCord.

I'd like to see Craigen in the middle too, really don't think he's being utilised to the best of his abilities out there.

If we are interested in someone from that side, then Thomson stuck out, and I thought Nesbitt was a pest on the night too. He might be an option.

I liked us best in the 4-3-1-2 we played against Hearts. Craigen could play in the 3 or as the 1.

Only issue is I don't see a place for Anderson in that set up and he's one of our biggest threats.

If Stewart and/or Wighton are fit for Saturday though, I'd like to see it again.

From what I can gather, everyone likes Anderson, myself included, and not making the starting XI would take a fair bit of pace out the side, but he can't cross a ball, which is a bit of a necessity for a winger.

He's pretty much the opposite of Conroy, who could deliver a ball but not really involved in open play. Anderson is great at using his pace and forcing defences onto the back-foot. Unfortunately he reaches the by-line and crosses it into the side netting or one of the stands.

I really don't think you'd diminish Anderson if you played him in the centre, it might actually suit him more.

McKinnon certainly seems keen on the idea, he's played at least a part of 3 or 4 friendlies in a central position, although I appreciate that was perhaps down to needs-must.

Edited by McGuigan1978

Looked more of a winger to me, which would be a wee bit competition. Craigen looks decent out wide, but would like to see him in the middle with either Callachan or McCord.

Even so, you've got Megginson, Anderson, Craigen, Vaughan, McKeown and even Petrie who can play out wide to varying degrees of success. It's lack of competition for Stewart that is an issue.

Anderson is someone we could definitely try out as a forward. He looks the part.

Going by the pre-season games where he WAS used as a striker I'd say a big fat no on that one imo. Yes his pace is valuable and yes he's right in what he said in the FFP that he understands the reasons why McKinnon felt he might be a useful as a striker (getting in behind defences with his pace etc) he just doesn't strike me as someone that realistically can really shine in that position.

Anderson cannot hold up the ball and he's not much of a half chance taker either. It's only our lack of threat in the friendlies (of which Anderson was a part of) that's making people panic into suggesting him as a striker.

Just relax everyone!

Vaughan, Stewart, Wighton and Megginson all injured at the minute. Who do we play up front on Saturday in our first competitive game?

Vaughan, Stewart, Wighton and Megginson all injured at the minute. Who do we play up front on Saturday in our first competitive game?

Anderson seemed to have a problem with his right leg on Tuesday, he was holding the back of his leg rather gingerly(or he may have been popping the farmers back in), hopefully he can shrug it off.

All serious injuries or the 'carrying a knock, should be fine' category.

From Cowden's Facebook page:

The segregation arrangements for Saturday's Petrofac Training Cup tie against Raith Rovers are as follows :
Cowdenbeath fans will be housed in the new and old stands, entering by turnstiles 1-4 (right hand side of turnstile block) at the High Street end. Raith Rovers fans will be housed on the south terracing and will enter by turnstiles 5-8 (left hand side of turnstile block) at the High Street end.
Admission prices for this match are £14 Adult and £7 Concession (under 16 or 65 and over).

Going by the pre-season games where he WAS used as a striker I'd say a big fat no on that one imo. Yes his pace is valuable and yes he's right in what he said in the FFP that he understands the reasons why McKinnon felt he might be a useful as a striker (getting in behind defences with his pace etc) he just doesn't strike me as someone that realistically can really shine in that position.

Scored against Celtic....not that he was playing as a forward.