The New Raith Rovers Thread

We skelped Queen of the South by the same scoreline in March, although you're right, big league wins are fairly rare. (And you maybe weren't at the Queens match.)

I wasn't a the QoS game. I can't remember the last time I saw us beat a team by 3 goals.

Just checked and it was May 2010 when we beat Ross County 4-1.

Edited by Scary Bear

Well I'm happy to see Davo back. Of course he's a decent player at this level, can cover different positions, and without him today the bench wouldn't exactly have been bristling with options. Interesting to hear McKinnon's rationale for it in his post-match interview - that he felt we needed a holding midfielder to allow the likes of Callachan and Craigen to get forward. Be interesting to see how that works out.

I did have a bit of a laugh when his first touch was a misplaced pass, mind you.

And re: the Barrie McKay discussion a page or two back. He was clearly better than many were giving him credit for. There were games last season when he was our most dangerous (if not only) attacking threat, and I'd come back to the match thread afterwards and people were saying he was a waste of a wage and I was, and remain, mystified. Someone made the fair point that he might be best suited to a team that's going well and don't need him to track back as much - but that being the case it won't surprise me if it becomes a pretty good player for Rangers.

Are we still upset about McGurn's omission from the starting line up?

Genuine question.

If Cuthbert is playing well, no. I think it is difficult to argue with three clean sheets.

Trouble is, he was mince when he came in for McGurn at the end of last season. It made it all the more frustrating with McGurn having put in some fantastic performances after returning from injury. Doing so cost us points and, as much as I (and others) rate McGurn, there is no point in doing the same this time around when our current 'keeper is doing the job. It isn't a risk worth taking.

Edited by Michael W

And re: the Barrie McKay discussion a page or two back. He was clearly better than many were giving him credit for. There were games last season when he was our most dangerous (if not only) attacking threat, and I'd come back to the match thread afterwards and people were saying he was a waste of a wage and I was, and remain, mystified. Someone made the fair point that he might be best suited to a team that's going well and don't need him to track back as much - but that being the case it won't surprise me if it becomes a pretty good player for Rangers.

Five assists and two goals in 25 appearances. That's not abysmal figures for a winger, but it's a bit like Paul McMullan at Ibrox last night.

Most onlookers regarded him as having a good game, and they'd probably be right-enough, but he was also at fault for Rangers second goal as he didn't follow the run.

Defensively, that's the kind of thing McKay would do every week during his loan spell. Happy enough to run at folk with the ball at his feet, but a disinterested passenger who cost us goals and put us under unnecessary pressure when he didn't.

Anyway, enough about him, are we ever opening the wee stand at the side again?

Are we still upset about McGurn's omission from the starting line up?

Genuine question.

I'd pick McGurn over Cuthbert every single time. Regardless of how Cuthbert is playing. Still not seen him once put in a performance that has gained us a point(s).

How good is Toshney though, boy is a class act. By far McKinnons best signing. To come back, from what looked like an injury that should have kept him out for weeks, and absolutely stroll it speaks volumes. Definitely my motm today.

How good is Toshney though, boy is a class act. By far McKinnons best signing. To come back, from what looked like an injury that should have kept him out for weeks, and absolutely stroll it speaks volumes. Definitely my motm today.

Aye, healing factor like Wolverine that boy....

Yeah he does look a terrific player. Special mention to young Bates too, has barely put a foot wrong in the 3 games he has played. This was a real examination against someone the size of Jordan White and he came through with flying colours. Looking forward to seeing the Toshney - benedictus partnership back but he looks a real prospect.

I know he had the advantage of being on from the start and he got hooked at the same time that Davo came on, but C Gull saw more of the park than he did.

C. Gull to you but it's Steven to his pals ;)

On to the game Ray reckons that the Cats finger tip save in the first half got us the points and he could be right on that but until time proves me wrong like a few others my preference would still be for the witch.

Was surprised to hear our captain got the MoM award, I too would have given it to Lewis Toshney who was tremendous, his only blemish being that yellow card he picked up late on.

It's also fair to say that our passing game was a bit off-spec too, no sign of the tidy wee one touch triangles of previous games that are such a joy to watch and frustrating as hell to play against. But if thats the only fault we can find then who cares?

I was and still am one of the doubters on the goals front. Stewart and Megginson have got one each and other than Vaughans goal at Cowden the rest have come from Penalties and defenders. We won't get a penalty every week nor can we rely on defenders to chip in every game either. Preditor required apply within!

Given that McKinnon has sounded out McInnes and that Aberdeen are now out of European competition I think we will see an Aberdeen forward arriving in the next few weeks. Safe to say I doubt it'll be Rooney, Goodwillie or Hayes so that most likely leaves Cammy Smith or Lawrence Shankland, personally I'm hoping it'll be the latter who is bigger the more physical of the two 19 yr olds.

As for signing someone outright I would doubt we could afford it but if there is money still available I'd hold on to it and see whats available in the next window, unless that is if we don't get anyone on on a loan.

In an ideal world we would get at least 1 if not 2 in to cover the striking roles, one may just have to be enough for now though.

Edited by Scottydog

To be fair to Davidson by my count his contribution was 1 out of 3 successful passes. Maybe he has improved after all.

:lol:

I must have missed the other two. I remember his first touch then can't remember him touching the ball again.

Agree with the other comments regarding Toshney yesterday. Easily man of the match yesterday and I'm looking forward to seeing him and Benedictus get a run of games together.

We are at least attempting to play football in the 3 games so far.

Granted our opponents have created some chances against us but we still havent lost any goals, cuthberts been comfortable but having toshney and benedictus in front of you who are assured confidant footballers will help cuthbert even more.

Going forward we also look a threat and counter attack very quickly.

Onwards and upwards 1 game at a time. In ray we trust.!

He doesnt mix his words and his players know what he wants them to do at all times, chuffed he is thinking along the same lines as the supporters, especially when our players are in the penalty box, need to be clynical and lethal!