The New Raith Rovers Thread

And if Raith don't go up? Really unimpressed with that and hoped he had more class than to speculate until after the play offs.

Or has he been asked a really specific question so that the paper can sell a story?

Agree with what True Rover says. He's denied commenting so far and yet keeps getting hounded by the press. The guy just wants to focus on us at the moment yet they keep asking the question. It strikes me more as a journalist being liberal with a statement as opposed to Ray speculating.

Journalists don't just walk in and say, "Awrite Ray, what's happening?" They go in with a pre-conceived notion of what their story is about, then to a greater or lesser degree, attempt to manipulate the interview to that agenda. I'd be a bit wary of taking any stories like that at face value.

That said, if Ray does fancy it, then fair play to him. I really hope he stays, but his tenure has been beneficial for both parties, and that's all you can really hope for in these circumstances.

Dundee United are a far bigger club than us, and he's a United fan, it would be a bit odd if he wasn't sorely tempted by an offer from them, he might never get the chance again.

If ray mac does go to dundee united, hes a fool. Most of the team have been released by thomson according to the latest news bulletin. But heres an article that should make any potential manager cringe.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/opinion/sport/michael-gannon-dundee-united-crying-7897122#TkdylgESPXAb5rvQ.97

Edited by Varna Rover

If ray mac does go to dundee united, hes a fool. Most of the team have been released by thomson according to the latest news bulletin. But heres an article that should make any potential manager cringe.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/opinion/sport/michael-gannon-dundee-united-crying-7897122#TkdylgESPXAb5rvQ.97

Might suit him starting with a blank canvas.More money,bigger club

If United want him he will go.

Why would he stay? He has Raith playing best football for years and still struggles to get 1500 for a home game. In one year he's prob taken them as far as he can.

Cant agree with you sorry. Hes just started and needs at least another year to finish his job. What guarantee can he, you or anyone else for that matter give and say he will do the same for DU.

Dundee United will be career suicide. Look at Jackie McNamara for example, done a very decent job with Partick, went to Dundee United and his career is pretty much over now.

This will end the same way as Mcglynn with Hearts a few year back if he was to go.

I would like to think that Money isn't everything at this stage of his managerial career. Work his way up gradually and he could get to the very top of the game IMO.

Why would he stay? He has Raith playing best football for years and still struggles to get 1500 for a home game. In one year he's prob taken them as far as he can.

If he doesn't take us up this year, he will in the next couple if he was to stay. You obviously haven't seen much of us this season if you think he has already taken us as far as he can.

My brother and I had this very conversation in the car coming home last night, I was of the opinion that he would want to stay with us, but the fact that he's a Utd fan is the clincher I think. Imagine you were in charge of Stranraer, and the Rovers came calling. You'd be off in a heart beat. If he goes, fair play to him. Not a single one of us could grudge him it.

Dundee United will be career suicide. Look at Jackie McNamara for example, done a very decent job with Partick, went to Dundee United and his career is pretty much over now.

This will end the same way as Mcglynn with Hearts a few year back if he was to go.

I would like to think that Money isn't everything at this stage of his managerial career. Work his way up gradually and he could get to the very top of the game IMO.

Exactly.

Pars fan in crowd jibe,surprise

I'd suggest that the common theme there is that they were both pretty poor managers, the respective spells of both managers after those jobs wouldn't indicate it wasn't specifically the location that was the problem.

If Ray is a good manager then the Utd job would still be a good one, he'll have a budget that will be in the top two with the few players that are left being more than capable at this level. It must be an absolute pisser because they've had an incredible season but the Utd job will be quite attractive to Ray.

Edited by Grant228

Yup. And that's without considering all his United history and connections. And there's no guarantee he'll have another such good season with Raith or that he'd ever get another chance. Be happy to be wrong but it's very hard to see reasons why he wouldn't or shouldn't go.

Yup. And that's without considering all his United history and connections. And there's no guarantee he'll have another such good season with Raith or that he'd ever get another chance. Be happy to be wrong but it's very hard to see reasons why he wouldn't or shouldn't go.

Let me ask you a question in all seriousness. How many ex players have gone on too or back to there old club and been successful managers. I genuinely cannot think of many at all.

If he goes he goes, we're in no position to stop him. What I will say is if he does good luck and thanks for the best season in decades

Edited by baillieinleeds

Let me ask you a question in all seriousness. How many ex players have gone on too or back to there old club and been successful managers. I genuinely cannot think of many at all.

Someone did put some stats together on that a few years ago, though I don't seem to be able to find it on google just now. The conclusion was that the record of former players was (not very surprisingly) statistically pretty much identical to that of non-former players. 

Notwithstanding which, it's often an extra attraction for both parties, in the first instance.

Imagine you were in charge of Stranraer, and the Rovers came calling. You'd be off in a heart beat. If he goes, fair play to him. Not a single one of us could grudge him it.

I said exactly the same to my dad today, even using Stranraer as the lower league example!

As has been said, Utd are pretty much a blank canvas in an 'easier' league, maybe that will be an added draw to McKinnon, a bigger team that he can really make his mark on.

Of course, he could get Raith through the play offs, rendering it a moot point!

More like an article that would make any journalist cringe.