The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 minute ago, miloman said:

If Cuthbert sharing player/coach role, should we expect to see a keeper coming in?

He's a class 'keeper.  Delighted he will be going full time and working with the players all the time.  He will be first choice of course. 

Given the news a few posts back, I expect McHattie will be playing League 2 next season...

How much do you reckon Cowdenbeath pay?

I'll be interested to see how the G Man does at that level with recruitment. The majority of his ex-players, although they may not be very good, presumably won't play for League 2 part-time wages.

I'd like to see Thomson for at least one last season. He is past his best for Championship football but I don't know if there will be a better player in his position that would come to us. Better the devil you know and hopefully a good pre-season and working with the right manager and players will be enough to bring him back to his old form.

It seems like everyone on here just wants to see pretty much the same squad that let us down so badly last season again next year. I honestly can't believe people are debating whether the club should keep the likes of Davidson, Thomson and McHattie. f**k them right off. And everyone seems to think we should retain C Barr???? Ffs how many times does he have to miss most of the season before we cut our losses? 

3 minutes ago, RR #1 said:

It seems like everyone on here just wants to see pretty much the same squad that let us down so badly last season again next year. I honestly can't believe people are debating whether the club should keep the likes of Davidson, Thomson and McHattie. f**k them right off. And everyone seems to think we should retain C Barr???? Ffs how many times does he have to miss most of the season before we cut our losses? 

Yeah they're going to be shite for the rest of their career because of last season, what was your opinion on the players that have been here for a while and played under McKinnon?. We're going down to a weaker league and the bulk of the squad, contracted or not, should be more than capable to provide the goods. A combination of bad management which led to poor results and ultimately lack of confidence saw these players form dip (isn't that just human nature?). We've got a new manager who can hopefully get them back to the standard we know they are capable of, imo at least.

Cheers for the comments about the player ratings article, greatly appreciated, they were much more fun to write about than they were to watch.

Pretty chuffed about the news about the backroom team news, and as far as I'm aware, Scott Robertson was pretty highly regarded with the work he did with Craig Easton last season.

As for who I'd keep and who I wouldn't mind waving goodbye too, I wouldn't be totally against a reasonable amount of them sticking around.

I've a lot of time for Craig Barr, but I doubt we'll offer him a deal considering what's happened the last three seasons.

Jason Thomson I think will stay, and I'm fine with that. A rest, a decent pre-season and with the greatest will in the world, playing against an inferior level of opposition, should see him hunky-dory.

Kevin McHattie would also be fine for that level too, but whether he wants to stick around, or whether we even want to keep him I'm not so sure.

If Scott Robertson is fit, then a central midfield of him, Matthews and Callachan looks fair enough, and Barr out wide with A N Other on the right looks like a decent fit in the middle of the park.

Stewart and Vaughan should do some damage in League One, meaning we've got a pretty decent spine from what I can see.

If Smith can add some clever acquisitions, then I'd be fairly confident of winning, or at least strongly challenging for the league, unless Ayr can bring in a better calibre of player.

That said, feel free to bring this post back up in 11 months, when we've finished seventh.

1 hour ago, Raithie said:

Yeah they're going to be shite for the rest of their career because of last season, what was your opinion on the players that have been here for a while and played under McKinnon?. We're going down to a weaker league and the bulk of the squad, contracted or not, should be more than capable to provide the goods. A combination of bad management which led to poor results and ultimately lack of confidence saw these players form dip (isn't that just human nature?). We've got a new manager who can hopefully get them back to the standard we know they are capable of, imo at least.

My opinion of the players who have been here for a while and played in the squad that reached the playoffs? Cuthbert past his best, Thomson looks completely shot, Davidson past his best and never  liked him anyway tbh. C. Barr is decent but we all know his injury record. Stewart is decent when fully fit but he is injury prone and doesn't score enough. Vaughan, callachan, mathews and Benedictus are the only 4 players at the club I would be disappointed to see leave. 

9 minutes ago, RR #1 said:

My opinion of the players who have been here for a while and played in the squad that reached the playoffs? Cuthbert past his best, Thomson looks completely shot, Davidson past his best and never  liked him anyway tbh. C. Barr is decent but we all know his injury record. Stewart is decent when fully fit but he is injury prone and doesn't score enough. Vaughan, callachan, mathews and Benedictus are the only 4 players at the club I would be disappointed to see leave. 

Don't you feel, of the players mentioned or ones that are contracted/out of contract, they'd be more than adequate for League 1? I think to many people are getting hung up on performances from last season and the growing assumption they will be pish forevermore.  Last season was a nightmare, anything that could go wrong went wrong along with all the usual eyebrow raising madness that went with the campaign. For me personally I don't see the issue with retaining a good bulk of last seasons squad to play in what will be a weaker league. Obviously the loan players will be away and there's no guarantee we'll even retain most of the squad which worries me as I feel we'll then be sifting through the dregs of the lower leagues to find players either capable of getting us promotion or able to make the step up to full time football. 

17 minutes ago, RR #1 said:

My opinion of the players who have been here for a while and played in the squad that reached the playoffs? Cuthbert past his best, Thomson looks completely shot, Davidson past his best and never  liked him anyway tbh. C. Barr is decent but we all know his injury record. Stewart is decent when fully fit but he is injury prone and doesn't score enough. Vaughan, callachan, mathews and Benedictus are the only 4 players at the club I would be disappointed to see leave. Completely agree with this. We need a clearout not the same old same old. Cuthbert not a problem but only players I would want to keep is Bene, Callachan, Vaughan and Bobby Barr. Stewart to lightweight injury prone and never scores enough, Davidson is not a footballer, doesnt score can't pass. Craig Barr I would consider keeping only if his contract has injury claused built in.

I would consider signing Sean Dillion, just released from Utd.

Geezo, do people still think we're a Championship club that can somehow entice players like Sean Dillon to play League 1 football on a vastly reduced wage? You're living in dream land. With all the talk of cost cutting I think people are in for a rude awakening in terms of the type of players that'll we'll be able to attract. Craig Barr could probably waltz into several Championship teams, putting such a clause in his contract, which I'm assuming you're meaning "if you get injured again, how dare you, you're out the door" isn't going to give him much security to want to remain here is it?. People can lambaste players for not scoring enough but the service our strikers generally receive has been mince for years now. 

I think its a good move to promote both Cuthbert and Robertson to the coaching roles. I imagine it will negate any part of their wage reduction with the increased responsibilities, and its also good to promote these guys within the Club, allowing them to stay with us at prob no reduced wage from last season.

I assume with the now made appointments, Smith won't have an Assistant as such, and that will prob be covered in part by Easton?

17 minutes ago, Raithie said:

Geezo, do people still think we're a Championship club that can somehow entice players like Sean Dillon to play League 1 football on a vastly reduced wage? You're living in dream land. With all the talk of cost cutting I think people are in for a rude awakening in terms of the type of players that'll we'll be able to attract. Craig Barr could probably waltz into several Championship teams, putting such a clause in his contract, which I'm assuming you're meaning "if you get injured again, how dare you, you're out the door" isn't going to give him much security to want to remain here is it?. People can lambaste players for not scoring enough but the service our strikers generally receive has been mince for years now. 

Personally, I think Craig Barr is as good as Bene, and if we can keep him fit he is worth the risk in keeping. His injury record will be perhaps the reason he doesn't get a gig at a bigger club.

From the others, Davo I would maybe keep around, simply for his versaltility in what will be a much reduced squad. The fact that he can cover anywhere across the back line, or midfield, would make him a valuable player for us to hold on to. With him there, you save brining in 2 or 3 other backups.... that kind of cost saving could be invaluable!

Additionally, when filling in at right back and centrehalf this season he actually impressed me a lot!

Wonder if the local businessmen that kindly funded/sponsored/paid wages or whatever the deal(s) were towards the playing budget for the last 2 seasons will be feeling generous again this time round.