The New Raith Rovers Thread

57 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

According to the Courier we are in talks with Mark Docherty (ex Dumbarton) and the FFP confirms we have held talks with Greig Spence.

The FFP also says that Mark Stewart had a termination clause in his contract which the club exercised.

I'm given to believe that Spence is basically a done deal. Don't really recall all that much about Docherty. Assume from the article that he'd be getting used at fullback if he signed.

43 minutes ago, renton said:

Assume from the article that he'd be getting used at fullback if he signed.

Or as a UFC fighter. He's the same boy that head butted his own team mate during a game last season. 

Just now, Raithie said:

Or as a UFC fighter. He's the same boy that head butted his own team mate during a game last season. 

Things are looking up then. At least he found a team mate to stick the head into.

9 minutes ago, KierenAAFC said:

Spence, Benedictus, Sparky & possibly Buchs. Can see what direction Barry is going in, the exact same he did with us!

In fairness, Bene was already there; but aye, so far it looks like a 'getting the band back together' exercise. On the other hand Spence, Bene and Buchs would be decent at this level. 

1 hour ago, renton said:

I'm given to believe that Spence is basically a done deal. Don't really recall all that much about Docherty. Assume from the article that he'd be getting used at fullback if he signed.

He's far more effective in central midfield or at centre-back (despite the fact he's only about 5"8). Sparky was excellent for us for all but the last three months or so of his DFC career. He took more Man of the Match awards than anyone else, and genuinely endeared himself to fans. He's a fighter (unfortunately literally at times...) who plays with the passion of a fan, and genuinely just loves football. You'll love his attitude on the park, and his a great guy off it too. He's always up for a chat, and likes to get a bit of banter going with the fans during the game.

I remember one of our fans constantly berating him to go short for a goal-kick in monsoon conditions, and him turning to the fan and saying: "Why don't you go f*cking short then?" That shut the chap up. He loves winding up opposition fans too, particularly at Ibrox where he just about caused a riot by saying something to them :lol: I remember some Rovers fans being seething during the 0-0 game in January 2016 too, when he clearly said something to them.

After the Carswell incident (which was totally out of order, as he well knows) he lost his place in the team. Then when he got back in he was lacking fitness, sharpness and seemed a bit too desperate to make an impression. That was exemplified against Ayr United where he took out one of our own players in the buildup to their winner - this time it was an accident.

He doesn't look like he should be good (if that makes sense) but has a lot more ability in his left-foot than you would think. His crossing and set pieces are normally very decent, and he's more than capable on the ball.

I'd imagine he'd be exactly the sort of guy you need in League 1, and I'd imagine he'd do a decent job wherever you play him.

1 hour ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

He's far more effective in central midfield or at centre-back (despite the fact he's only about 5"8). Sparky was excellent for us for all but the last three months or so of his DFC career. He took more Man of the Match awards than anyone else, and genuinely endeared himself to fans. He's a fighter (unfortunately literally at times...) who plays with the passion of a fan, and genuinely just loves football. You'll love his attitude on the park, and his a great guy off it too. He's always up for a chat, and likes to get a bit of banter going with the fans during the game.

I remember one of our fans constantly berating him to go short for a goal-kick in monsoon conditions, and him turning to the fan and saying: "Why don't you go f*cking short then?" That shut the chap up. He loves winding up opposition fans too, particularly at Ibrox where he just about caused a riot by saying something to them :lol: I remember some Rovers fans being seething during the 0-0 game in January 2016 too, when he clearly said something to them.

After the Carswell incident (which was totally out of order, as he well knows) he lost his place in the team. Then when he got back in he was lacking fitness, sharpness and seemed a bit too desperate to make an impression. That was exemplified against Ayr United where he took out one of our own players in the buildup to their winner - this time it was an accident.

He doesn't look like he should be good (if that makes sense) but has a lot more ability in his left-foot than you would think. His crossing and set pieces are normally very decent, and he's more than capable on the ball.

I'd imagine he'd be exactly the sort of guy you need in League 1, and I'd imagine he'd do a decent job wherever you play him.

Any particular reason, smashing his own team mates aside, that Dumbarton aren't looking to keep him? Suppose the stumbling block will be whether he wants to go full time but if he's wishing to remain part time it would be a surprise to see him drop down to teams like East Fife or Stranraer.

8 minutes ago, Raithie said:

Any particular reason, smashing his own team mates aside, that Dumbarton aren't looking to keep him? Suppose the stumbling block will be whether he wants to go full time but if he's wishing to remain part time it would be a surprise to see him drop down to teams like East Fife or Stranraer.

Purely down to the headbutt incident I think. 

http://www.dumbartonreporter.co.uk/sport/15296897.Mark_Docherty_admits_bust_up_cost_him_his_Dumbarton_future/

22 minutes ago, Raithie said:

Sounds like the FT / PT decision could swing it. Not sure if Raith are offering PT deals for first team players this season. If he wants to stay PT, why would EF or Stranraer be a surprise? Only 3 PT clubs finished above EF in the leagues last year and one of them was Dumbarton. On wages, I doubt we'll be offering the highest out there but certainly won't be at the bottom of the pile either.

That good or bad?

Was a solid team. Barry didn't get the best out of them though & it took a last gasp from Danny Lennon to save us in the play offs. However, same team who had the Petrofac Cup heroics. Drop down a level too & you have a team that should win this league.

30 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

He mentions keeping an eye on the play offs before considering his options.

He couldn't fail to have been impressed by our heroic semi performance, pushing the eventual winners all the way to sudden death penalties.

15 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

If he wants to stay PT, why would EF or Stranraer be a surprise? 

Apologies, I'm still adjusting to the PT/League 1 mindset. As it stands I've not even bothered my hoop to see who's even in the league minus the obvious teams nor check how they performed last season so was purely going on my assumption the likes of EF and Stranraer might be a step down for him. 

I'm sure I read somewhere that we might go down the route of offering FT wages for PT hours meaning any players keen to remain PT could continue doing what they're doing but on a higher wage. Seems a bit radge though.

7 hours ago, Sweaty Morph said:

virginton.

I stand corrected.

ETA: Still terrible patter though.

Haha, I'm pretty sure I did not write that despite it being on my post. Not really giving too much of a f**k though either way. 

According to a Dundee fan on their forum they read Vaughan was linked via Twitter. More worryingly it also says it's not just Dundee after him but also Killie, St Mirren and Falkirk,