The New Raith Rovers Thread

I don't want to see him leave but I don't think it's the disaster some on here think it could be. Him going will probably result in a loan player from the buying club coming our way, seems to be how we do business, and could free up the wages to sign a left back and a wide player. We're pretty well served up front so this could lead to us alleviating some of our squad depth issues. There's also the sell him now or loose him for nothing later on argument.

Just now, Enigma said:

I don't want to see him leave but I don't think it's the disaster some on here think it could be. Him going will probably result in a loan player from the buying club coming our way, seems to be how we do business, and could free up the wages to sign a left back and a wide player. We're pretty well served up front so this could lead to us alleviating some of our squad depth issues. There's also the sell him now or loose him for nothing later on argument.

Aye, that worked out well last year with Rangers, right enough. The likelihood is any loan player will be of inferior quality - otherwise they'd be stepping into the team instead of that club signing Vaughan. Also, we really aren't pretty well served in the area that Vaughan fills - the creative link up between midfield and Spence/Buchanan - he's playing out wide when we don't have the ball and drifting in field when we have it, same as Craigen used to. He's pretty much it for creativity in between the lines. The highlight of pre season has been the interplay between him and Buchanan, and to a lesser extent, Spence.

As for the sell him now argument, well a nominal fee for him now and dent our chances of going back up, or lose him next summer but hopefully get a large revenue stream back by being in the 2nd tier. For me the latter well outweighs the former. The season starts in two weeks, we've got a system based around a small squad of players with little or no depth and we're seriously contemplating the notion of kicking out one of the pillars underpinning the way we play? Lunacy.

Vaughan is the type of player that could potentially be the difference between staying in this league or not.  (Not necessarily winning the league, but one of the players who can provide a bit of quality in games such as playoffs etc)

Depends really on how much we need the immediate cash, weighed up against the implications of staying in this league/otherwise. 

Looking at how we have set up so far this season, Vaughan is going to be an absolutely pivotal part of how we play – so it’s a big call. 

The board have to stand firm with this. They can't f**k things up again, please not again. Let Vaughan concentrate on getting us out of this league. Ok he owes us nothing and bitter about the way he was treated. But this league will be a better platform for him to perform

I'd like to hope Vaughan will stay.... but if either of the teams mentioned (Dundee and Kilmarnock) come in for him, it would be very unlikely we would stand in the way of him going to a SPL club.

Every cloud and all that - would it be the case that any kind of reasonable fee for could result in us bringing in 2 or 3 players to replace him? Would that work for folk who are equally as concerned about squad depth?

5 minutes ago, GhostZapper said:

I'd like to hope Vaughan will stay.... but if either of the teams mentioned (Dundee and Kilmarnock) come in for him, it would be very unlikely we would stand in the way of him going to a SPL club.

Every cloud and all that - would it be the case that any kind of reasonable fee for could result in us bringing in 2 or 3 players to replace him? Would that work for folk who are equally as concerned about squad depth?

It's not wholly about depth. Our squad last year was deep enough with utter shite, mind. We're unlikely to find a good replacement for him, and sure as hell not now. As Calderon mentions as well, he's integral to the way we've been setting up, and while we can shake things up  a wee bit with the likes of Court, we really do need him to make plan A work.

edited to add: I get that we are a selling club, by the way, and we canny stand in their way, ken - but unless we get some useful service from these boys ourselves - what's the fucking point?

Edited by renton

Aye, that worked out well last year with Rangers, right enough. The likelihood is any loan player will be of inferior quality - otherwise they'd be stepping into the team instead of that club signing Vaughan. Also, we really aren't pretty well served in the area that Vaughan fills - the creative link up between midfield and Spence/Buchanan - he's playing out wide when we don't have the ball and drifting in field when we have it, same as Craigen used to. He's pretty much it for creativity in between the lines. The highlight of pre season has been the interplay between him and Buchanan, and to a lesser extent, Spence.
As for the sell him now argument, well a nominal fee for him now and dent our chances of going back up, or lose him next summer but hopefully get a large revenue stream back by being in the 2nd tier. For me the latter well outweighs the former. The season starts in two weeks, we've got a system based around a small squad of players with little or no depth and we're seriously contemplating the notion of kicking out one of the pillars underpinning the way we play? Lunacy.

Oh no, I do agree with you. I don't want him to go and I think the benefits of him staying for a season outweigh any benefit gained by his leaving, which would be the possibility of a slightly larger first team squad. It's the quality v quantity argument. With two premiership clubs in for him I do think the chances of him hanging around look particularly good, especially if he want to leave.

Loan players are a bit of a lucky dip, granted, you could end up with Jordan Thompson but you could end up with Johnny Russell.

5 minutes ago, GhostZapper said:

Id reckon at best the two would cancel each either other out. 2 or 3 more bodies adds depth, yes, but means that our plan and approach to the season will somewhat change.  Was clear last night that Smith used the game as a chance to line up with what he sees as our best line up (minus perhaps Barr), and a massive amount of our play involved Vaughan playing in that free role where he caused mayhem to be honest.

Depth is only any use if it's with the right players and I imagine we've left it too late to bring in a few guys to adequately replace that.

20 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

The board have to stand firm with this. They can't f**k things up again, please not again. Let Vaughan concentrate on getting us out of this league. Ok he owes us nothing and bitter about the way he was treated. But this league will be a better platform for him to perform

That;s not true! 

Just now, baillieinleeds said:

Sorry bro, I didn't mean it like that. He probably felt let down by what happened, and making him slightly bitter

He was at the time water under the bridge now. 

Should be noted that Barry Smith seems to have got the recruitment side of things bang on so far so I would have a bit of faith in him if he (hopefully doesn't) needs to sign any replacement. Let's not forget he'll have contacts down south too. It's not Locke and wannabe agent Jackson were being asked to put our faith into here.

Maybe an option of getting him loaned back for the season like Falkirk did with the boy from East Fife.

If he's not actively looking to leave I'd hope the board don't just punt him to the first buyer in order to get a few bob.

3 minutes ago, Raithie said:

Maybe an option of getting him loaned back for the season like Falkirk did with the boy from East Fife.

If he's not actively looking to leave I'd hope the board don't just punt him to the first buyer in order to get a few bob.

Me too. 

Youngsters need to play first team games otherwise what's the point. I would rather we take the chance on blooding our own players that we've spent a lot of time effort and money to develop rather than spend money on seasoned cloggers.

Guys there's going to be a candle lit vigil outside Starks Park tonight for everyone devastated at the potential loss of Vaughan. There's also a support telephone number anyone struggling with the news can call to help them get through this.

Get a grip guys. He's created interest and if he goes then he goes. The more we can get for him the better. His stock is good right now and for people to pin all our hopes of promotion on him is madness. If we can get a good bit of cash for him then take it. It's either that or he walks away for nothing next year.

Youngsters need to play first team games otherwise what's the point. I would rather we take the chance on blooding our own players that we've spent a lot of time effort and money to develop rather than spend money on seasoned cloggers.

^^^^^^^absolutely this