The New Raith Rovers Thread

I'm in, can you PM me details of where to get a sponsor form please Andy? osama.gif

(Did I punctuate that correctly? Don`t want to annoy the board.)

Good man.

I'll have the sponsor forms readily and easily available closer to the time. I'll document on here and all over the shop where to get one then.

We would be fucked if we went down, because we would still need to charge the same admission prices, we would have a lower support and lose the bulk of our squad.

Didnt necessarily mean playing in the second division with a pt would be any worse, meant that if we went part time at the end of last season and ended up going down as a result, that would be worse than staying full time this season and staying up ( which isn't a foregone conclusion all the same)

We would be fucked if we went down, because we would still need to charge the same admission prices, we would have a lower support and lose the bulk of our squad.

Didnt necessarily mean playing in the second division with a pt would be any worse, meant that if we went part time at the end of last season and ended up going down as a result, that would be worse than staying full time this season and staying up ( which isn't a foregone conclusion all the same)

What was the average attendance in the Anelka season? We weren't part-time then but we were absolute shite and from memory we still averaged around 2000 and we were doomed from early in that season. How would going part-time at the start of this season and doing the same have been any worse than that? Incidently, why would we need to charge the same admission prices, if we went part-time?

When we were shit in the second division and finished 7th we still had average attendances of 1600. Saying we would be fucked is a bit of an exaggeration.

Obviously getting relegated is not what's required. However, trying to maintain full-time football on average crowds of 1900-2000 is going to be financially difficult.

Edited by Scary Bear

When we were shit in the second division and finished 7th we still had average attendances of 1600.

In happier economic times, and when I think we charged £12 to get in? £14 max. We'll barely have 1600 home fans today so I don't think they'd be there paying £17 to watch a shite Rovers side lose to Stenhousemuir.

It was very negative, but any player seeing it should realise that bad results will more than likely result in them losing their job. With that in mind you at least expect some effort, but there wasn't really any today.

Is anyone else from here going to the meeting?

I am.

I'm reinforcing my cringe-ometer especially for it.

I'm going along hoping to hear some explanations, but like yourself I fear the whole thing may turn into a bit of a farce.

I'm currently drawing up a list of questions that I may like to ask. :ph34r:

I'm going along hoping to hear some explanations, but like yourself I fear the whole thing may turn into a bit of a farce.

I'm currently drawing up a list of questions that I may like to ask. :ph34r:

One question I feel is inevitable is on the subject of Dave Somerville's departure.

The answer, I feel, will involve certain aspects of club business remaining confidential.

Saw Dave at the game today and he said that he wouldn't be at the meeting.

I've said this already on fantalk already, but I think it should be discussed here too. Watching the fir st 50 seconds of the video of the County game and you can see why Scottish football is slowly slipping away. The first 10 seconds are used on the title, the next 40 involved the fantastic tactics of having a defender kick the ball over the midfield towards our forwards three times, or county doing the same. Obviously, it is only one minute into the match so could be said to take the context from the whole game (this wouldn't be true on our part though). However, when a director comes out and says we're in dire need of arses on seats at Starks it doesn't inspire any neutral to see this.

I've always said that we usually punt the ball when we run out of ideas. Throws that one out of the window. I'm usually calm down the day after a game, can't help we really need to get it out our system and tell our defenders to cut it out.

My own questions are more or less these:

1) Recent comments in the Fife Free Press suggest that a loss similar to that of last year's, around £80,000, is to be expected. This was despite the budget forecasting a profit of £40,000. What level of attendances did the board budget for, given that their prediction of income has decreased by £120,000 after just four home matches?

2) Despite the average attendance figure rising by 500 last year, an £80,000 loss was made. Whilst some attempts were made to explain the loss, including some factors out with the control of the club, a significant increase in matchday income was unable to cover it. What level of attendances were anticipated, in order for the club to break even?

3) Whilst the financial position of Raith Rovers is unhealthy, it is not one which is uncommon in the first division. Many believe, and I count myself amongst them, that full-time football is no longer sustainable for many clubs in this division. What is the view of the board on this matter?

Maybe more to come.

Edited by Michael W

It was very negative, but any player seeing it should realise that bad results will more than likely result in them losing their job. With that in mind you at least expect some effort, but there wasn't really any today.

Is anyone else from here going to the meeting?

Those out of contract in the summer will not be offered a new contract irrespective of how we perform this season, its part time next year boys.

I'm not going to the meeting, I think I have been to one of these at least every 5 years for the past 20 or so, its like shuffling the deckchairs on the titanic.

If the board can't make it work, then stand aside, they (Hutton & Caira) have had 12 years of trying.

Those out of contract in the summer will not be offered a new contract irrespective of how we perform this season, its part time next year boys.

I'm not going to the meeting, I think I have been to one of these at least every 5 years for the past 20 or so, its like shuffling the deckchairs on the titanic.

If the board can't make it work, then stand aside, they (Hutton & Caira) have had 12 years of trying.

IMO its not inconceivable that a part time team could win this league in the next couple of years, it's becoming obvious to most clubs that full time football in the first division is unsustainable, as the stupid wages offered in previous years to footballers dries up there are more good players opting to stay part time where they earn good money from their day jobs, the immediate ones that jump to my mind are Campbell, yeah his legs have gone now but was there a better centre half in the league before his accident? McGurn, arguably the best keeper in the league, Mark Ferry (on his early season form last year before he was mysteriously dropped) Rory McAllistair, there must be a few more and there will be a lot more over the coming seasons as clubs cut back. So although going part time would be a sad day I feel it's only a matter of time before one established 1st Div club goes part time and more will follow.

My 2 questions I want to ask the board:

It was reported that the contracts of the players we released ran out at the end of July. Why were we paying players for 2 months when they were not training or available for selection? There were 15 in this situation which is a substantial cost to the club during a 2 month period where no revenue is generated.

Turnbull has stated that we have gone from a projected 40k profit this season to an 80k loss. Is this loss incorporating paying back the directors soft loans from last season or will these loans be converted into new shares?

Good man.

I'll have the sponsor forms readily and easily available closer to the time. I'll document on here and all over the shop where to get one then.

Do my sidies count as a beard? :D