The New Raith Rovers Thread

So, we've probably in real terms spent about 500k more than we've brought in, or expected to bring in, over the last two seasons, if you take the cup run that nobody saw coming out of the equation. Yet we've still had one of the lowest budgets in the league each season.

How the f**k do other clubs manage? Granted most don't have a bloody mortgage to be paying but nonetheless, the First Division in the current set-up can't last much longer without a few sides going under. Players are either going to have to go part-time, or drop wage demands and get another job whilst training "full-time".

Edited by Paco

How the f**k do other clubs manage? Granted most don't have a bloody mortgage to be paying but nonetheless, the First Division in the current set-up can't last much longer without a few sides going under. Players are either going to have to go part-time, or drop wage demands and get another job whilst training "full-time".

I've been wondering that myself. Dundee, while having a higher attendances on average than us, seem to have managed to keep a large portion of their players who they had last season despite expecting cutbacks. Obviously losing high earners like Harkins has helped but I doubt players like Lockwood will be playing for pennies. Queen of the South and Partick were both shouting about their financial problems, yet Queens signed a good few players this season (admitedly, they didn't have a squad left) and Partick seem to have kept their team as they are. Obviously Falkirk have been rumoured to be near administration and have made cut-backs, and you hear Pressley moaning about his players not getting comps for friends and family...then again, Pressley is a c**t.

So, we've probably in real terms spent about 500k more than we've brought in, or expected to bring in, over the last two seasons, if you take the cup run that nobody saw coming out of the equation. Yet we've still had one of the lowest budgets in the league each season.

They don't manage.

Raith Rovers - Financially fucked

Falkirk - Massive cut backs

Ayr - Part time

Morton - Sugar Daddy (chuckle)

RC - Sugar Daddy

Dundee - Twice in administration

Hamilton - Parachute payments

QotS - over-spenders in recent years

Partick - over-spenders in recent years

Livingston - see 'Dundee'

Got any evidence to back this ridiculous claim up?

Nothing particualrly concret no but the following paragraph;

I firmly believe we now have a club that is beginning to head in the right direction. Our club's finances are in better shape – still more to do but the best we've seen in years. We have a football vision that will allow development of our young players. We have a new Manager and a new General Management team.

From here certainly indicates that you've not been in great financial shape over the last few years. Whether that be recent issues or historical debt I have no idea but 'over-spending in recent years' doesn't strike me as a particularly outlandish statement whether it relates to recent losses or an inability to adequately resolve previous issues.

From here certainly indicates that you've not been in great financial shape over the last few years.

Yeah, not disputing that.

The assumption I took from your post was that we have been spending more money than we make to get out the division. That isn't the case.

Whether that be recent issues or historical debt I have no idea but 'over-spending in recent years' doesn't strike me as a particularly outlandish statement whether it relates to recent losses or an inability to adequately resolve previous issues.

Paying interest to the bank, for the last 8 or so years for the North Stand we built has crippled us year in, year out.

Successive relegations, added on to that only worsened this.

Yeah, not disputing that.

The assumption I took from your post was that we have been spending more money than we make to get out the division. That isn't the case.

Certianly not what I meant by the post. indeed, as far as these things go, Partick are one of the few clubs who actually appear to be taking positive steps to deal with their debt. The sale of Harkins and the sharing of the ground with some egg chasers as Cliché mentioned must be particularly bitter pills for the fans to swallow.

That said, my basic point - that no club in this division is in great financial shape and that each club in the division has a history of fairly poor decision making when it comes to club finances - still seems reasonably accurate.

Certianly not what I meant by the post. indeed, as far as these things go, Partick are one of the few clubs who actually appear to be taking positive steps to deal with their debt. The sale of Harkins and the sharing of the ground with some egg chasers as Cliché mentioned must be particularly bitter pills for the fans to swallow.

That said, my basic point - that no club in this division is in great financial shape and that each club in the division has a history of fairly poor decision making when it comes to club finances - still seems reasonably accurate.

Oh and add to that selling off land around the ground for housing a few times!

Thats exactly the sort of thing I stopped reading certain other forums forwink.gif

..................same here, the rubbish they spout on that Forum is amazing.laugh.gif

As much as I thought Marv was a great servant for us any talk of bringing him back is nuts!!

Seen Oil tankers turnin' quicker than he can nowadays.

Edited by Wee Sandy

Hutton scaremongering again in today's FFP. Expected £80,000 shortfall already this season due to poor turnouts against Dundee and Falkirk. If I could see the low crowds coming why couldn't they? You don't release the majority of the squad, sign four or five, spend all summer mumping and moaning then expect the fans to turn out in optimistic numbers.

He does explain the shortfall from last season, putting it down to the refs strike, Mark Campbell's rehabilitation (aren't we insured for that kind of thing?) and unexpected win bonuses. I can accept that, just about, I'm not sure it should equal an £80,000 loss given the increase in attendances but I can see why it happened. Shows the ridiculous situation we have in Scotland with a solitary promotion spot and no play-offs. A play-off home and away to St Mirren, who finished 11th, and we'd have made a profit.

Also says the bid for Baird was £5000. Laughable.

Edited by Paco