The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 minute ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I'd be pretty delighted if higher profile managers like Hartley and Stubbs won't lower themselves to League One football, despite their failures elsewhere.

Absolutely. Wouldn't want either if I was a Starks Park regular. Would probably cost more in salary as well.

I think Duffy is the safe choice but I would be tempted by someone like Barry Robson or similar. For every Lee McCulloch there's a Jack Ross waiting to be found.

5 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Absolutely. Wouldn't want either if I was a Starks Park regular. Would probably cost more in salary as well.

I think Duffy is the safe choice but I would be tempted by someone like Barry Robson or similar. For every Lee McCulloch there's a Jack Ross waiting to be found.

yesterday I agreed with super Hans aka Eric Drysdale and today a pars fan!! Jeezo life is bad at the moment

9 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

That's really what I'm incredulous about. Raith fans are living in the 90's still. I don't know what I have to seethe about. I think below is pretty amusing:lol:

I always love it when people take the opinion of a couple of folk and then apply it across a whole fanbase. I'm certainly not living in the 90s, I don't think a guy like Matt Elder who knows plenty about the inside governance of the Rovers is either. There is an assumption, rightly or wrongly, that full time status and crowd size can be a significant factor when a manager is making a decision as to whether to move or not. Based, you'd imagine, on a fairly crude assessment of "potential" in that it might offer more tools for a manager to show of their acumen than a part time side ultimately could. Alloa absolutely fucked us over the play off games, but we also did finish 15 points ahead over the league season which may point to some small degree of truth in that.

Now, not everyone is paying close enough attention to the comings and goings at St Mirren, let alone Alloa to have all the facts on Goodwin's probable career trajectory. If you did, you'd obviously take the view that no way would Goodwin take a step back into league 1 as he's certainly looking beyond Alloa, in an upwards direction - even if he didn't want to take the big leap into the Premier just yet. No shame though, in musing idly if you weren't aware of those facts, and not a reflection of living in the past. 

Rovers do have to show a bit of ambition here, and the appointment probably does need to both be right for the club but also get the fans onside right away, as it's a critical time for the club. No wonder then, that folk will throw unrealistic names into the mix. 

Being an ex-player wouldn't be one of my boxes. Not resorting to hoofball would.

Being an ex-player, especially a fan’s favourite, would allow Danny a certain period of grace before we all inevitably turn on him.

Not sure what happens with Clyde. Do we need to pay them anything or do we just let him know we’re interested and hope he resigns?

Goodwin would just remind me of Alloa and disappointment. I never want to visit Alloa again. Ever. Or watch Alloa at Starks. Ever, ever again. In conclusion, f**k Alloa and f**k Jim Goodwin.

And f**k the fucking gimp who created the spellcheck on iphone6. I hope that fucker gets captured by hillbillies, kept in a crate and made to wear a red ball gag and satisfy their unnatural desires.

3 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Being an ex-player, especially a fan’s favourite, would allow Danny a certain period of grace before we all inevitably turn on him.

Not sure what happens with Clyde. Do we need to pay them anything or do we just let him know we’re interested and hope he resigns?

Didn't he get hounded out of the club in a shower of angry spittle back in '98?

Didn't he get hounded out of the club in a shower of angry spittle back in '98?

Not sure, I was at uni at the time. I had a 4 year hiatus from the Rovers. That would be during the post-Glory Years hangover, when we thought we were bigtime, so possibly. Personally, I thought Danny was an excellent player for us.

For no reason whatsoever I just have a feeling in my water that he’ll be a good manager for us too. Which undoubtedly means he’ll go the same way as all the other ex players who managed us.

12 minutes ago, renton said:

I always love it when people take the opinion of a couple of folk and then apply it across a whole fanbase. I'm certainly not living in the 90s, I don't think a guy like Matt Elder who knows plenty about the inside governance of the Rovers is either. There is an assumption, rightly or wrongly, that full time status and crowd size can be a significant factor when a manager is making a decision as to whether to move or not. Based, you'd imagine, on a fairly crude assessment of "potential" in that it might offer more tools for a manager to show of their acumen than a part time side ultimately could. Alloa absolutely fucked us over the play off games, but we also did finish 15 points ahead over the league season which may point to some small degree of truth in that.

Now, not everyone is paying close enough attention to the comings and goings at St Mirren, let alone Alloa to have all the facts on Goodwin's probable career trajectory. If you did, you'd obviously take the view that no way would Goodwin take a step back into league 1 as he's certainly looking beyond Alloa, in an upwards direction - even if he didn't want to take the big leap into the Premier just yet. No shame though, in musing idly if you weren't aware of those facts, and not a reflection of living in the past. 

Rovers do have to show a bit of ambition here, and the appointment probably does need to both be right for the club but also get the fans onside right away, as it's a critical time for the club. No wonder then, that folk will throw unrealistic names into the mix. 

Nah I gave that guy a greeny for being a reasonable Raith fan. 

My original point that I didn't really say was that including Jim Goodwin in a poll for the next Raith Rovers manager doesn't exactly lend credibility for Matthew Elder or FFP because reasonable people will realise Guardiola has just about as much chance of taking over at this point as Jim.

Seeing as he's a journalist wouldn't he find out about the comings and goings at St Mirren and Alloa? Which he obviously hasn't.

Instead it seems like setting up your board and fanbase for disappointment.

2 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Nah I gave that guy a greeny for being a reasonable Raith fan. 

My original point that I didn't really say was that including Jim Goodwin in a poll for the next Raith Rovers manager doesn't exactly lend credibility for Matthew Elder or FFP because reasonable people will realise Guardiola has just about as much chance of taking over at this point as Jim.

Seeing as he's a journalist wouldn't he find out about the comings and goings at St Mirren and Alloa? Which he obviously hasn't.

Instead it seems like setting up your board and fanbase for disappointment.

He's the Sports editor for the FFP, a fairly wide beat that includes coverage of the Flyers as much if not more than the Rovers. Possibly doesn't give him the depth to review the minutiae in any given sport. Besides, far more than the fact of Alloa's lofty position, the idea that we'd pay compensation for anyone is far more ridiculous.

1 minute ago, renton said:

He's the Sports editor for the FFP, a fairly wide beat that includes coverage of the Flyers as much if not more than the Rovers. Possibly doesn't give him the depth to review the minutiae in any given sport. Besides, far more than the fact of Alloa's lofty position, the idea that we'd pay compensation for anyone is far more ridiculous.

Ironically, think we'd have had Darren Young as manager had Albion Rovers not required (going to say it was ridiculous ~30k) compensation when Jack left.

53 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

That's really what I'm incredulous about. Raith fans are living in the 90's still. I don't know what I have to seethe about. I think below is pretty amusing:lol:

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on the assumption that you don't realise just how massive the mighty Raith Rovers are. 

Just now, LeodhasXD said:

Ironically, think we'd have had Darren Young as manager had Albion Rovers not required (going to say it was ridiculous ~30k) compensation when Jack left.

Bullet dodged there. Think we interviewed him twice, When Locke and then Smith got the job.

Just now, renton said:

Bullet dodged there. Think we interviewed him twice, When Locke and then Smith got the job.

I still like Darren. He's a top guy. I just think that East Fife job is a really hard one. East Fife and promotion's probably put paid to him getting the Alloa job in the near future as if Jim goes anywhere there won't be a shortage of ambitious candidates that will be above Darren's name on the shortlist. 

With a squad that has Andy Graham, Flannigan and Cawley through in another few unspectacular but reliable players we've got and the Alloa team is hard to fail whoever the manager is.

Not sure I’d want Goodwin. Still fairly inexperienced and unproven in full time management. Alloa only went up by the back door of the play offs, he still hasn’t won anything as a manager. Would be step up for him coming here and a risk on our side. Would be looking at managers with a higher profile.

He is also and editor in other local rags. He reports at times on Clyde games for Cumbernauld News