The New Raith Rovers Thread

Interestingly, all 6 of the trophies we’ve won in the last 25 years have been with a first-time manager (Nicholl x3, Calderon x1, McGlynn x1, Murray x1). Balance that with the 2 rookie managers who effectively relegated us (Anelka, Heterston) our track record isn’t too bad on appointing new managers although Jimmy Thompson (punted to early) is debatable 

With the exception of McKinnon and possibly McVey (punted too early), the experienced managers have been relative dross or failed to keep us up (Dalziel, Scott, Locke, Hughes, Smith, Munro, Nicholl v2.0, Levein,

Heard a wee whisper that someone might have spoken to Allan Moore.
It may or may not be shite but the guy is involved in Lower League goings on, and is involved with Clyde just now so it might have a bit of substance. Apparently he has an agreement about being allowed to leave if offered a managers gig.

19 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Heard a wee whisper that someone might have spoken to Allan Moore.
It may or may not be shite but the guy is involved in Lower League goings on, and is involved with Clyde just now so it might have a bit of substance. Apparently he has an agreement about being allowed to leave if offered a managers gig.

Really hope that's not true. That'd be a huge step back. I'd rather we gave it to someone like Robson as opposed to someone who's failed.

Really hope that's not true. That'd be a huge step back. I'd rather we gave it to someone like Robson as opposed to someone who's failed.
As I said mate, could be a lot of shite and just another rumour. It was only worth mentioning as the guy who spoke is in and around those circles.

Are there any rumours, or factual accounts for that matter, for why Barry Smith resigned and were the fans happy/sad/non-plussed to see him go?

I'm seeing parallels to Hartley resigning from Alloa while the Dundee managers job was on a shoogly peg a few years back which is why I'm asking. 

Thank you in advance. 

26 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

Are there any rumours, or factual accounts for that matter, for why Barry Smith resigned and were the fans happy/sad/non-plussed to see him go?

I'm seeing parallels to Hartley resigning from Alloa while the Dundee managers job was on a shoogly peg a few years back which is why I'm asking. 

Thank you in advance. 

Several rumours:

• Funds were available to sign another player which were then withdrawn however our Chairman is claiming that's either untrue or he knew nothing about it.
  • Smith had some stipulation in his contract regarding an agreed playing budget and left because he felt the club weren't sticking to this agreement.
  • Smith had a player lined up, asked the Chairman for money (there had been a recent £15k donation to the club from a supporters group to go to towards the players budget) but due to having won the last 2 games the power(s) that be said lets wait and see how X amount of games go before signing anyone.

Our Chairman has came out and said Smith spoke to him on a Friday re a new player and Smith was told there was money available to make the signing. The following Tuesday Smith then spoke to the Chairman after training to hand in his notice citing he hasn't been happy at the club for quite some time. The Chairman is claiming he has no idea the full in's and out's as to why Smith decided to leave. We were supposedly going to have Smith stay on as manager if we got promoted to the Championship and the club tried to convince him to stay but Smith had made up his mind. The club are apparently still in contact with him which appears to be surrounding his notice period. 

Thank you in advance. 

Rumours/suspicions are some sort of fall out with the board, possibly over lack of promised budget/signing of players but also likely a variety of things over a period of time. Nobody really knows apart from Barry Smith himself I suspect.

Barry wasn’t a popular figure and if he had been sacked at the end of last season most fans would have been delighted. The ‘leaving us in the lurch’ manner in which he left us is not ideal but he’s no great loss, any semi-competent successor should see us alright.

You’d be mad to want him back at Dundee.

2 hours ago, Stelios said:

Interestingly, all 6 of the trophies we’ve won in the last 25 years have been with a first-time manager (Nicholl x3, Calderon x1, McGlynn x1, Murray x1). Balance that with the 2 rookie managers who effectively relegated us (Anelka, Heterston) our track record isn’t too bad on appointing new managers although Jimmy Thompson (punted to early) is debatable 

With the exception of McKinnon and possibly McVey (punted too early), the experienced managers have been relative dross or failed to keep us up (Dalziel, Scott, Locke, Hughes, Smith, Munro, Nicholl v2.0, Levein,

Flip side being all but Calderón had an experienced assistant, something we can't offer right now. 

1 hour ago, Enigma said:

Rumours/suspicions are some sort of fall out with the board, possibly over lack of promised budget/signing of players but also likely a variety of things over a period of time. Nobody really knows apart from Barry Smith himself I suspect.

Barry wasn’t a popular figure and if he had been sacked at the end of last season most fans would have been delighted. The ‘leaving us in the lurch’ manner in which he left us is not ideal but he’s no great loss, any semi-competent successor should see us alright.

You’d be mad to want him back at Dundee.

He's not high on my personal list of candidates, I just thought it looked suspiciously similar to Hartley leaving just as we were looking to replace the current manager. 

Looks as if Joel Coustrain is about to sign for us - any use?

Nope. Became a better player for some because he didn’t play much but whenever I saw him he was useless. A winger who wasn’t fast, strong, skilful or hard working. A real ‘meh’ player, and that’s at a level below you.