The New Raith Rovers Thread

3 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

Tony Dingers needs a change of scenery.  25 in the summer and has barely kicked a ball in two years.

At his best he is a low centre of gravity inside forward (who has spent most of his career so far on one of the wings in a 442). He isn't blessed with pace and has a unique running style, but he manages to wriggle himself out of tight spaces.  He is direct, he is good at playing one-twos around the box and isn't shy about shooting from 20 yards.  His best position is as the second striker but he hasn't played there since first coming through from the u20s.

We haven't seen him at his best in quite some time.  Jim McIntyre was ready to let Dingwall go this time two years ago, before Dingwall got a cruciate ligament injury and was given contract extensions to prove his fitness.  He went on loan at Elgin and didn't stand out.  He has spent most of this season as an unused sub or in the stand, despite the squad being depleted a lot in the last couple of months.  After the youthful exuberance faded I think it was clear that he needed to play more games at a lower level to find his way back up again.  I hope he takes his chance because there is a good player there.

Sounds quite a strange one. If we're set for one position, then it's for forwards. We've scored the most goals in Scotland and most in the UK outwith Man City.  We've currently got Nisbet (18 goals), Buchanan (7 goals), Vaughan (6 goals), Duggan (2 goals) and Jack Smith (youth player).  Duggan looked lively enough on Saturday, and was unlucky not to have more goals.  I'll trust McGlynn to know what he's doing.

9 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

Delete that shit, you know McGlynn has a soft spot for shit keepers. I still remember the McNeil fiasco

He moved to a Premiership club, it's probably done him the world of good getting that experience. I'd take him back.

19 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

Delete that shit, you know McGlynn has a soft spot for shit keepers. I still remember the McNeil fiasco

Lennox, Smith and now Thomson.... it's not like we've been spoiled for good keepers lately.

35 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Apparently Ross Laidlaw is on the look out for a new club.

McGlynn’s preference was a permanent goalkeeper to free up the 4 loans for outfield players but from his most recent interview it seems that nobody of the appropriate standard was available as he was discussing a loan goalkeeper again.

I would be happy with Ross back, he’ll have learnt from his time at Hibs and he showed flashes with us (mainly at Easter Road funnily enough) that he could develop into a decent ‘keeper.

1 minute ago, Tony Stark(s Park) said:

As well as Duggan is leading the line! I think he will take his chance, hopefully giving McGlynn a massive headache in team selection, a problem which we would all welcome.

It does indeed.

Does he drop Flanagan again and play Vaughan out wide with Duggan and Buchanan up front?

Does he have the baws to drop Buchanan, who looked particularly raging at being subbed against Stenny, meaning Flanagan out wide and Vaughan and Duggan up front?

Or does he shoe horn Buchanan into the team alongside either Vaughan or Duggan?

Also, pardon my ignorance and I appreciate McGlynn maybe touched on this in his pre/post match interviews but I canny be ersed watching them, where was Matthews on Saturday?

1 hour ago, GhostZapper said:

sounds like someone that can come in when Armstrong leaves - Maybe playing off Nisbet, with Vaughan going out one wing, Flanagan the other.

Personally, I'd have Vaughan behind a striker rather than Dingwall, but if Dingwall can find his '14-15 form again then it would be close.

Edited by bunglebonce

7 minutes ago, Raithie said:

It does indeed.

Does he drop Flanagan again and play Vaughan out wide with Duggan and Buchanan up front?

Does he have the baws to drop Buchanan, who looked particularly raging at being subbed against Stenny, meaning Flanagan out wide and Vaughan and Duggan up front?

Also, pardon my ignorance and I appreciate McGlynn maybe touched on this in his pre/post match interviews but I canny be ersed watching them, where was Matthews on Saturday?

I think it’ll just be the straight swap from Saturday, Duggan in for Nisbet. McGlynn rarely changes a winning team.

I think Buchanan’s anger was directed at Armstrong rather than the bench. Armstrong was too greedy when he should have cut  it back to Buchanan for a shot and I’d imagine goal from around 6 yards. He was going mental at Armstrong then turned round to see his number go up confirming it was his last chance for a goal. 

Been underwhelmed by Duggan in the glimpses i’ve seen so far but Saturday was much better. Can’t disagree with anything he said in his post match interview, the stop start nature of his season so far will have made things difficult. Hopefully with a run of games under his belt we start to see the best of him.

22 minutes ago, Raithie said:

It does indeed.

Context is quite important for that one. Buchanan was available for a cutback when Armstrong went on a rampaging run, before deciding to shoot. If he scores, then it might've forced McGlynn to reconsider any subs.

Fwiw, I'd be happy with Vaughan on the wing as he's scored most of his goals for us at this level from there, and has a natural ability to beat his man. Flanagan flattered to deceive on Saturday, but can be excellent on his day.

Sounds quite a strange one. If we're set for one position, then it's for forwards. We've scored the most goals in Scotland and most in the UK outwith Man City.  We've currently got Nisbet (18 goals), Buchanan (7 goals), Vaughan (6 goals), Duggan (2 goals) and Jack Smith (youth player).  Duggan looked lively enough on Saturday, and was unlucky not to have more goals.  I'll trust McGlynn to know what he's doing.

Most in the UK outwith Man City, TNS and Connah’s Quay*

Doesn’t sound as sexy now does it?

Context is quite important for that one. Buchanan was available for a cutback when Armstrong went on a rampaging run, before deciding to shoot. If he scores, then it might've forced McGlynn to reconsider any subs.

Fwiw, I'd be happy with Vaughan on the wing as he's scored most of his goals for us at this level from there, and has a natural ability to beat his man. Flanagan flattered to deceive on Saturday, but can be excellent on his day.

Flannagan had his worst game for us by quite some margin when he came on. I like him but against EF he anonymous and followed it up in much the same way. He was always wanting the ball so hopefully it's just a bad patch.