The New Raith Rovers Thread

Two players on top of my list would be Kyle turner and Mark McGuigan they are sticking out playing for 2 struggling teams the now both with goals in them . Regarding players to let go Buchanan, Davidson , Mathews, Wedderburn,  Flanagan if we can get rid for starters

Re wedderburn 

He has to go. One of the main reasons we've lost so many goals, and why Gillespie hasn't been as effective as we'd hope, is because of big Nat's immobility in midfield. Our centre halves have been so exposed and Gillespie (Matthews too) have had to do an awful lot of covering work. 

I get its not all down to Nat but having him for another season is just asking for more trouble I feel 

Crane has also been a massive disappointment for me 

5 hours ago, basher brash said:

Two players on top of my list would be Kyle turner and Mark McGuigan they are sticking out playing for 2 struggling teams the now both with goals in them . Regarding players to let go Buchanan, Davidson , Mathews, Wedderburn,  Flanagan if we can get rid for starters

I thought Turner would command a development fee ?

Why would he sign for us, he is a player on the up, and as a team we aren’t.

2 hours ago, Beastie Russell said:

I'm not sure many, if any, of the names mentioned recently would consider us to be much of any attractive option.

2 hours ago, Beastie Russell said:

Not sure Beastie I believe he’s out of contract at the end of the season, why wouldn’t he sign for us we are the biggest team in the league and yes we are rank this year however we are in the right end of the play offs but he might be in the wrong end of the play offs if you don’t ask you don’t get signing Turner will only improve the side along with the other signed players.

Edited by basher brash

9 hours ago, pantene proV said:

Re wedderburn 

He has to go. One of the main reasons we've lost so many goals, and why Gillespie hasn't been as effective as we'd hope, is because of big Nat's immobility in midfield. Our centre halves have been so exposed and Gillespie (Matthews too) have had to do an awful lot of covering work. 

I get its not all down to Nat but having him for another season is just asking for more trouble I feel 

Crane has also been a massive disappointment for me 

Agree on Crane.Gillespie has been murder since returning  from injury and like many players who come to us,looked  good for a short spell until they,re Rovered.The whole defence is one of the main reasons we,ve lost so many goals,look totally disorganised with no leader not because of Nats immobility

The goals we lost against Forfar on Saturday for instance were criminal,defence at sixes and sevens and not for the first time this season

Not sure Beastie I believe he’s out of contract at the end of the season, why wouldn’t he sign for us we are the biggest team in the league and yes we are rank this year however we are in the right end of the play offs but he might be in the wrong end of the play offs if you don’t ask you don’t get signing Turner will only improve the side along with the other signed players.

I’m sure he will jump at the chance to sign for the footballing behemoth that is Raith Rovers :lol:

When looking at the current playing squad it is clear to see that we've lacked depth all season, of course a hybrid model worked for us many moons ago, however I can only see a downward spiral from here - in terms of finances and part-time football. It's clear to see McGlynn has not had the desired effect on the side we were looking for, it would be unfair to not let him build his own side in summer, but is he really the man to take us forward? 

Next year I'd like us to have a better mix of young, hungry players and seasoned professionals. In terms of the current contract situation I'm sure Gillespie has a clause which allows him to leave. I would obviously be inclined to keep the likes of Nisbet, Vaughan and Murray, however Flannigan, Davidson and Co can take a hike.

There are several good part-time players out of contract in the summer, is this the direction we want to go down? 

Biggest team mentality lives on, please never change lol

Biggest team in the league aye, but it's no as if he'd be moving up massively ffs. Be like moving from a Qots to a Dundee United or something [emoji23]

You'd be able to pay the best part time wages but not across the board, someone like Turner could be a key player for another PT side meaning they prioritise him more and pay him way above their average. At Raith he might not be a key player therefore that kind of wage wouldn't be offered.

You wouldn't be able to just cherry pick literally all the other clubs best players if you were PT ffs.

Signing good part-time players isn’t a recipe for automatic success either, Milne and Spence didn’t really work out great despite doing well elsewhere, and we had a whole host of dumplings last time we were down in this league too.

There is no definitive right answer, no matter who the manager is.

1 hour ago, Rovers_Lad said:

Agree on Crane.Gillespie has been murder since returning  from injury and like many players who come to us,looked  good for a short spell until they,re Rovered.The whole defence is one of the main reasons we,ve lost so many goals,look totally disorganised with no leader not because of Nats immobility

The goals we lost against Forfar on Saturday for instance were criminal,defence at sixes and sevens and not for the first time this season

He hasn’t really done anything this season to merit staying though has he? I can’t think of much beyond his usual passes across the park. 1 goal, any assists? Gillespie has shown he can get in the box and score, he’s a much better player than Nat with a better engine too

Agreed our defence needs a massive shake up. Murray and McKay can stay, the rest can go

we need no-nonsense defenders, and McGlynn needs to forget about trying to play out from back through midfield. Bring back Anderson and punt it to him :thumsup2

11 minutes ago, pantene proV said:

.... and McGlynn needs to forget about trying to play out from back through midfield. Bring back Anderson and punt it to him :thumsup2

We've got the worst defence in years and yet you've decided that playing the ball out from the back should be binned. Surely you should look at the defence and bin them first.

Every player is different and has different priorities, but it’s a relatively significant step up to be honest. In terms of current league form and position, no its not a massive gap, but without meaning to sound disrespectful I would imagine there would be a step up in expectation etc. Theres massive pressure and expectation for us to get out of this league soon, rightly or wrongly, and that transfers onto any new players – whether that is a good or bad thing depends on the player. The Rovers have the potential to become an established Championship side in the coming years (As funny as that may seem now) just as the earlier example of Dundee Utd could become an established Premiership side.

We are not some kind of massive draw for players at this level, and players who are good enough would more than likely get a bigger move sooner, but I still think the Rovers represent a decent opportunity for guys to test themselves with the club at a higher level in the future, or would to an untrained eye anyway.

However, there is no magic bullet or magic answer – whichever direction we go down going forwards will have a drawback and that will put immense pressure on the manager to make the best of it. We are still getting pretty decent attendances all things considered, routinely getting 1,300 odd home fans which whilst not spectacular, represents a pretty decent proportion of our “core” support, at a point in time where apathy is at an all time high. But another season of keech in this league will surely make a further dent in that. 

There are several good part-time players out of contract in the summer, is this the direction we want to go down? 

Yes, it’s the only option, we can’t afford decent full time players. Most of our full timers play like they’re part time anyway

18 hours ago, grumswall said:
18 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:
So, is everybody ready for the scramble for tickets for the East Fife match?

Is that not how they normally get people to their games? Walk down leven high street, chuck a few tickets and shout scramble?

You need to seriously do some work on yer patter. That was pish.

3 hours ago, Beachbum said:

We've got the worst defence in years and yet you've decided that playing the ball out from the back should be binned. Surely you should look at the defence and bin them first.

Strangely enough the guy who's job it is to fix that defense didn't. He's also the one telling the shit defense to play the slow boring ball out from the back.