The New Raith Rovers Thread

15 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

He's probably scored less than 10 goals in 3 years since then and looked hopeless against us in the Scottish Cup.

He'd maybe make a lively impact sub but that's about his limit these days.

Surplus of pace though, would be an interesting signing at this level. 

14 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

FeB would be unreal in League 1 surely, tore it up last time.

Victoria is rather meh considering your ambitions. McGeever and Ross Kavanagh are shite.

I won't be passing judgment on any player until he has at least had a couple of games for the rovers. 

We have seen it time and time again when a player comes without recommendation and smash it like Dalziel, Nisbet, Tade,

Then on the flip side we bring in a player like Buchanan who over the previous 5 seasons was smashing them in and he struggles with consistency. We also had Wighton on loan. We all got excited about his prospect and tbh he was a total dud of a signing. 

All in all I will support any signing made by Mcglynn 

5 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

We need a defender to sit on the bench I suppose but dunno if he's even good enough for that.

I'd have thought Davidson was the archetypal Dick Campbell signing - 

Over 30? tick 

Fifer? tick 

Double figure yellow cards each season? tick

Not sure what you're waiting on. 

Val McDermid in the papers today saying that when she was on the board, she suggested Shelley Kerr for manager when she was at Stirling Uni (funnily enough I'm pretty sure Enigma mentioned her at the time as a potential candidate) but the board at the time rolled a lot of excuses.

To be honest, there's no way we should have been appointing the manager of an decent Lowland League side when we were then a Championship club. 

If she had left Stirling Uni and went on to do well at League 1 or even League 2 level, for example, then fair enough. 

3 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

To be honest, there's no way we should have been appointing the manager of an decent Lowland League side when we were then a Championship club. 

If she had left Stirling Uni and went on to do well at League 1 or even League 2 level, for example, then fair enough. 

It seems a bit dickish of her to come out and basically publicly imply the other board members were being sexist about it. I don't know if she has other grievances but it just seemed an odd way to present it, she could have easily just said that they discussed the idea but didn't see her as experienced enough in the environment Raith are operating in.

6 minutes ago, harry94 said:

It seems a bit dickish of her to come out and basically publicly imply the other board members were being sexist about it. I don't know if she has other grievances but it just seemed an odd way to present it, she could have easily just said that they discussed the idea but didn't see her as experienced enough in the environment Raith are operating in.

..... and so they handed the job to Gary F Locke.

17 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

100% this. The selection process for any job should be based on their abilities to do the job. Race/gender or anything else shouldn’t even come into it. I would have no problem with Shelley Kerr or any women managing the Rovers at some point in the future if they have the track record elsewhere. 

However, they have to get the job on merit and shouldn’t be given some sort of preferential treatment because they’re female. Kerr had a decent but unspectacular record at Stirling Uni, certainly nobody would be calling for a man with the same record at the same club to be considered for the Rovers job so I don’t see why it should have been any different with a female.

Edited by R.R.FC

I'm hoping they do a snazzy reveal video the morn of the 4 that are signing. 

Did we have it confirmed that they're all new players and not just players that we've already offered contracts to (i.e. Dave McKay). 

Val McDermid in the papers today saying that when she was on the board, she suggested Shelley Kerr for manager when she was at Stirling Uni (funnily enough I'm pretty sure Enigma mentioned her at the time as a potential candidate) but the board at the time rolled a lot of excuses.

I did indeed! Not ITK unfortunately, just a good judge. As per Chicago Fire when they signed Schweinsteiger, that could have been us in the World Cup!

However, they have to get the job on merit and shouldn’t be given some sort of preferential treatment because they’re female. Kerr had a decent but unspectacular record at Stirling Uni, certainly nobody would be calling for a man with the same record at the same club to be considered for the Rovers job so I don’t see why it should have been any different with a female.

She’d won two FA cups and a WSL cup as manger too of course... but nah Gary Locke.

2 minutes ago, Enigma said:

She’d won two FA cups and a WSL cup as manger too of course... but nah Gary Locke.

She was also managing the most successful women’s team in the UK. I don’t know a great deal about the circumstances in which she took the job but looking at the stats she didn’t actually do a great job with Arsenal when you compare her record to what they won before and after hence why she resigned after a poor league start.

Someone like Scott Booth won 4 consecutive women’s Premier League titles and a cup with over an 80% win rate as manager with Glasgow. Yet we all know how he got on at Stenhousemuir. 

If Kerr had done something spectacular with Stirling Uni I’d have hoped she would’ve been considered. However, she did not and there was nothing on her CV to suggest she’d be the standout candidate for a Championship team (at the time). 

She probably still would have been better than Gary Locke though, you are right. However, there are several managers overlooked for Locke who I would have preferred ahead of Kerr.

6 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

She was also managing the most successful women’s team in the UK. I don’t know a great deal about the circumstances in which she took the job but looking at the stats she didn’t actually do a great job with Arsenal when you compare her record to what they won before and after hence why she resigned after a poor league start.

Someone like Scott Booth won 4 consecutive women’s Premier League titles and a cup with over an 80% win rate as manager with Glasgow. Yet we all know how he got on at Stenhousemuir. 

If Kerr had done something spectacular with Stirling Uni I’d have hoped she would’ve been considered. However, she did not and there was nothing on her CV to suggest she’d be the standout candidate for a Championship team (at the time). 

She probably still would have been better than Gary Locke though, you are right. However, there are several managers overlooked for Locke who I would have preferred ahead of Kerr.

In fairness there are unidentifiable things that wash up on beaches that I'd have preferred to Locke for the job.

Edited by renton

25 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Stirling Uni just finished 3rd the season before Val was talking about, 17 points behind the champions. 

Based on current league standings, that's the equivalent of Ayr United hiring the manager of Kelty Hearts this season. 

Val Mcdermid is implying in that article that the only reason she wasn't considered is because of her gender. Obviously we don't know if that played a part in some board members thinking, but there were plenty other of reasons at the time as to why she shouldn't have been considered. 

2 hours ago, Sheevedaw said:

I'm hoping they do a snazzy reveal video the morn of the 4 that are signing. 

Did we have it confirmed that they're all new players and not just players that we've already offered contracts to (i.e. Dave McKay). 

They are all new players well one returning player from a few years ago. It may be though we announce others resigning at the same time.

6 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

They are all new players well one returning player from a few years ago. It may be though we announce others resigning at the same time.

Oh gee, well there's a cryptic clue. Gosh, I wonder who that could be, wow, will be scratching my head at that....