The New Raith Rovers Thread

2 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

So going by the rumours the 4 new signings are McGeever, Spencer, Anderson and Victoria?

On fantalk, the rumour was the midfielder was Miller from Brechin. Been through the Celtic youth system so seems possible. Would prefer Spencer right enough, the only positive out of those 4 names tbf.

3 minutes ago, renton said:

On fantalk, the rumour was the midfielder was Miller from Brechin. Been through the Celtic youth system so seems possible. Would prefer Spencer right enough, the only positive out of those 4 names tbf.

Wow. I had to google to find out who that was. Wiki has him as a defender/defensive midfielder...surely not!?

Yeah, it is not exactly an inspiring list. It screams to me squad filler. McGeever is one I actually wanted us to sign when we first came down before he went to Brechin. However, his 2 seasons there look to have been a disaster.

Will give all of them a chance though, I rarely remember being excited by McGlynn’s signings last time around aside from maybe Baird. However, he always seemed to get that bit more out of them than previously in their careers and was able to make a solid team out of it.

That’s what my preseason optimism is telling me anyway. I’ve given up predicting how signings will work out after being disappointed we missed out on Loy and ended up with Nisbet last year.

23 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

Wow. I had to google to find out who that was. Wiki has him as a defender/defensive midfielder...surely not!?

Yeah, it is not exactly an inspiring list. It screams to me squad filler. McGeever is one I actually wanted us to sign when we first came down before he went to Brechin. However, his 2 seasons there look to have been a disaster.

Will give all of them a chance though, I rarely remember being excited by McGlynn’s signings last time around aside from maybe Baird. However, he always seemed to get that bit more out of them than previously in their careers and was able to make a solid team out of it.

That’s what my preseason optimism is telling me anyway. I’ve given up predicting how signings will work out after being disappointed we missed out on Loy and ended up with Nisbet last year.

Aye, same. Though to some degree there is some kind of trauma filter there, I think, where you briefly convince yourself that Lewis Milne is somehow a good signing who'll fit into the middle of an attacking 3 behind the striker, when in reality you just know he's a lightweight no mark who'll be shoehorned into the wing of a 4-4-2 as inspiring as Barry Smith's haircut.

My goodness, I haven’t been on the these threads lately as I’m on honeymoon. I’m all for diversity. But f**k sake, we’ve done the social experiment hiring a bloody DJ ala Anelka. Now we’re talking about a female manager. I’m no Progressive as most of you all are. But why do we have to be the first club to introduce this pish

My goodness, I haven’t been on the these threads lately as I’m on honeymoon. I’m all for diversity. But f**k sake, we’ve done the social experiment hiring a bloody DJ ala Anelka. Now we’re talking about a female manager. I’m no Progressive as most of you are. But why do we the club have to be the first to introduce this pish

Your wife is so lucky.

..... and so they handed the job to Gary F Locke.

Exactly! “Sorry we’re no having her, we’ll have this shaved monkey in a suit instead. Look he sounds like us and he can smile awkwardly and everything!”

She was also managing the most successful women’s team in the UK. I don’t know a great deal about the circumstances in which she took the job but looking at the stats she didn’t actually do a great job with Arsenal when you compare her record to what they won before and after hence why she resigned after a poor league start.
Someone like Scott Booth won 4 consecutive women’s Premier League titles and a cup with over an 80% win rate as manager with Glasgow. Yet we all know how he got on at Stenhousemuir. 
If Kerr had done something spectacular with Stirling Uni I’d have hoped she would’ve been considered. However, she did not and there was nothing on her CV to suggest she’d be the standout candidate for a Championship team (at the time). 
She probably still would have been better than Gary Locke though, you are right. However, there are several managers overlooked for Locke who I would have preferred ahead of Kerr.

I’d be interested to see how the likes of Shelley Kerr would do at a club like Rovers, but I’d have the fear that the men’s game would close ranks and be antagonistic towards her. It would be some gamble to take with the club’s future. Probably not as big a disaster as the Gary F Locke car crash but with the potential to turn out that way.

if the rumours are true regarding the new signings holly s@@@e they are worse than what we had imo. Forfar and East Fife have recruited well to be honest and I really fear for us if that’s the best we can get however it’s only rumours at the moment so I’ll nervously wait until tomorrow

I remember last time we won the league being mocked by many, Willie Gray in particular, about the quality of players we signed. On paper they were mostly journeyman but McGlynn was able to mould them into a team greater than the sum of its parts.

The budget is being cut, therefore the quality on paper will be the poorest we have had in years but I’m hopeful we will be better than the last 2 seasons by actually resembling a coherent organised team. Still convinced Falkirk will walk the league mind you.