The New Raith Rovers Thread

I trust mcglynn to build a team, it wont have the best players in the league and it's not going to be pretty next season but there will be no shortage of effort and fight which will be a nice change given what's gone before and sometimes thyas just as important as talent at this level. 

Plus there is some real quality in the squad if they can keep them fit .

Talking of which Williamson as physio could be our most important signing. 

32 minutes ago, Ding Dang Doo said:

Ok let me rephrase... we've signed a journeyman lower league player in Victoria and a player who our fans were all ok with leaving a few years ago, is now 33 and has spent the last 2 years mostly on the bench at Peterhead and Stranraer.

Falkirk are signing players who are proven at a higher level.

That sound better?If Anderson, Victoria and the others rumoured were signing for anyone else in the league we wouldn't be worried in the slightest. Yes a man manager can make players better and the most talented players don't always make the best team but when was the last time in this league a team who was not deemed to be the best win it? I'm going to suggest given that Murray was being looked at by several higher league clubs in Scotland and a team in League 1 down south that he might be a bit better than our fans are giving him credit for.

If Peterborough were seriously interested then given the money down south he would be there but he has signed for a mid table championship team, good luck to muzz, good guy decent player nothing more imo

5 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

We’ll just have to make do with what we have. We have long term crocks on the books too. We’ve already made the landmark signing in Hendry and the rest will merely make up the numbers. Hopefully the better midfielders will give our ropey defence a little more cover.

Should be noted that two of our three injured players should be ready in August. Vaughan and Dingwall add a lot of quality.

1 minute ago, foreverarover said:

Do we have signed two wingers and a midfielder. If those two are the strikers we were told to expect then forget about promotion.

They said forward, not striker - the language can get wooly I think. Definitely need a couple of players who'll be out and out no 9s certainly.

Oh well 3 done one to go I wonder what Brechin defender we are signing.  I also agree that we may go 352 this season. Spencer and Hendry likely to start in the middle with Gillespie or Matthew's in behind. 

Nisbet and Murray are also both away. Signed for the Townies.

So we currently have:

Goalkeepers -  McGurn and Thomson (Thomson injured until the end of the year) with Lyness yet to accept a new contract.

Defenders -  MacDonald, Benedictus and Watson, with Davidson and MacKay yet to agree deals and Murray on the verge of leaving

Midfielders - Dingwall, Matthews, Spencer, Hendry, Anderson and Victoria, with Gillespie yet to accept his contract offer. Dingwall is out until August.

Forwards - Vaughan, Smith and Bowie, with Nisbet certain to leave us.

So we need at least one, but ideally two forwards, and probably another goalkeeper as well as a couple of defenders. Maybe more dependant upon the outcome of current contract negotiations.

10 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

So the two forwards are Anderson and Victoria, the midfielder is Spencer, and the defender must be McGeever. I would guess the arrival of Spencer might mean Gillespie is on his way.

Depends on what system you play. 4 for two spaces is plenty, 4 for 3 not so much.

That is I think a decent enough signing.  A midfield 3 of any of the 4 of Gillespie, Matthews, Hendry and Spencer should have plenty of mobility.

Midfield is looking decent, especially if Gillespie stays, if not we’ll need someone else to play centrally. Anderson, Victoria and Dingwall are the wingers - that’s not awful to be honest, no doubt Flanagan is a far better football player than Anderson but playing wide open football didn’t work last season. Time to get compact, particularly away from home and if we’re playing with two wingers, they can’t just watch when we lose the ball.

Defence needs a restructure and with Murray leaving and Davidson/Lyness/McKay dithering over deals it looks like it’s going to happen by accident if not by design. Really hope McKay stays and the other two go. A right back now a necessity, CB possible depending on McKay/Davidson.

And up front, we’re looking at two to arrive, and the return of Vaughan with Smith/Bowie/Victoria to supplement.

All in all, I don’t think that’s bad at all to be honest. I’d rather have kept Murray but it should force McGlynn to sign an actual right back. And I’d rather keep Nisbet but if we can have a couple of new guys in who might fit a new system better, then great.

Not all doom and gloom. Would be good to get a final decision from the four players holding off, Murray/Nisbet deals tied up and focusing on the five or six guys still to arrive.