The New Raith Rovers Thread

I recall Tom Carson in Jackie O’s looking resplendent in one of those dodgy shiny grey suits, with the sleeves rolled up and sporting his trademark mullet. He was sitting drinking Diamond White. Not sure why but that image has stuck with me. I wasn’t expecting to see him in Jacks. A definite cult figure at the Rovers.

He played about half the games in the 92/93 season but like others the game I remember him for was the 3-3 draw with Motherwell at the end of our first season in the Premier League. That was his last game for us and it was a bit ropey, albeit against a very good Motherwell side.

1 hour ago, DanElderRRFC said:

One of the softest penalty awards I’ve ever seen there, Hugh Dallas is lucky social media didn’t exist in 1993.

Dallas bottled it. 

If he deemed it worthy of a penalty, surely he had to send Stevens off. 

And the authorities managed to redress the situation later in the season when all three officials claimed not to have seen a blatant head butt. 

Edited by Specky Ginger

2 hours ago, DanElderRRFC said:

One of the softest penalty awards I’ve ever seen there, Hugh Dallas is lucky social media didn’t exist in 1993.

I was at that game. It was never a penalty which made it all the better. Rangers one was also really soft. Looking at the chances we could have won that game.

5 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Is there any footage of the 3-0 home win over Hibs or the 3-3 draw with Motherwell?

There's definitely footage of the Motherwell match on YouTube. Don't think I've ever seen footage of the Hibs match though. 

8 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

There's definitely footage of the Motherwell match on YouTube. Don't think I've ever seen footage of the Hibs match though. 

I’ll have a look. The Motherwell game Dan Elder has uploaded is the 3-0 defeat from earlier in the 93/94 season.

Got it. That Hetherston goal for the equaliser!

26 years ago and 23 since we last graced the top flight. Would be good to get back there some day. That first season was so good.

Edited by Scary Bear

4 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

I’ll have a look. The Motherwell game Dan Elder has uploaded is the 3-0 defeat from earlier in the 93/94 season.

Got it. That Hetherston goal for the equaliser!

It was probably one of his last touches of the ball as a Rovers player. Just a class act. 

We played some great football in 93-94. Especially on the counter attack. 
Watching these videos has reminded me just how good Jason Dair was that season as well. 

Dair, Cameron and Crawford... just wow! I’d actually forgotten how good Silky was as well.

The 3-0 against Hibs in 1995 was midweek so only the goals were in Sky Sports News. We utterly annihilated them and only a superb performance from Jim Leighton kept it to single-figures. That plus beating Aberdeen at home were 2 of our all-time best performances as we destroyed 2 strong teams. We finished 6th that season although level on points with Hibs who were 5th. And we beat them 3 times!

That first season up was great fun though, got thumped many an away trip but we played great football and there was no expectation we’d do anything other than go down. 

11 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:
29 minutes ago, RaithRover123 said:
Maclean more of a doubt now 

I know St Johnstone have a history of left field appointments but MacLean would be a big gamble. He might end up on the coaching team though.

That's what the article infers.

That's what the article infers.

If he’s still got ambition to keep playing, i doubt he’ll give that up for coaching. And lets be honest, he’s not a premiership level forward now so i don’t see player coach as i realistic option.