The New Raith Rovers Thread

5 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

Mendy has signed for Alloa. I’m looking forward to watching his imperious display at the back this afternoon, followed by a late headed winner. 

Maybe not.

Nando’s currently following government guidelines and quarantining after travelling back from France so misses out playing against his former teammates. But we look forward to seeing him in action against Peterhead.

4 minutes ago, Offshore Rover said:

Unfortunately he is isolating after returning from France 

Ach that’s a pest, was looking forward to seeing him again. Really interested to see how he gets on at a lower level. 

At least I can still shout foul mouthed abuse at Barry Ferguson though, so the afternoon won’t be a total right off. 

33 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

Ach that’s a pest, was looking forward to seeing him again. Really interested to see how he gets on at a lower level. 

At least I can still shout foul mouthed abuse at Barry Ferguson though, so the afternoon won’t be a total right off. 

He must have made a good impression to sign for Ferguson again, fingers crossed he does well. He’s not the best CB but a very likeable chap 

Not sure what to make of that game really. Probably shouldn’t read too much into it, but as much as we were far and away the better side, David Hutton didn’t have too many saves to make. 

It feels like we want to play a similar style to last season, but that’s not really possible with Regan Hendry departing, but by the same token, while we obviously used the left flank pretty well today, and must have delivered well over 20 crosses into the area, I’m not sure Vaughan and Poplatnik are going to be able to do too much with that kind of delivery. Which leaves us with a quandary about how are we going to open teams up this season? 

Anyway, we’ve qualified for the knock out round for the first time since the group stages were reintroduced, which is the main thing I suppose. I was getting a bit concerned that the penalty shoot-out was actually going to be vital for it, but thankfully full-time came through from West Lothian and it was all academic. 

Fair play to Connor Sammon too, a player who is an awkward handful when running about, and an utter irrelevance when shooting at goal. 

Thought we played really well in the first half but we were let down time and again by poor decision making and execution in and around their penalty box. Similar to the Brechin first half. 

We ran out of ideas on the second half and in the end Alloa saw it out quite comfortably. 

I think we're really going to struggle to score goals this season and doubt we'll be in the mix for a top 4 spot. Will 36 0-0s keep us up? 

2 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

Lack of goals is a real concern.  I thought Keatings would do us a trick but appears he csn only score against us not for us.

He's not been that prolific historically, it's just that he always fucking scored against us and so it's at the front of the mind. 

I think we are going to be very reliant on Vaughan. 

In games like today, where the opposition pack the box we are going to struggle to break teams down this season. Our width on the right is going to have to come from tumilty getting forward as Connolly is looking to play narrow most of the time. We put alot of crosses into the box today but they were well defended and it is a lot to ask for the likes of Vaughan to go and win a high cross against the likes of Graham. We really could have used someone with a bit more presence up top for that reason. We did play some decent stuff at times and we are looking to move the ball forward quicker than last season, with tait in particular playing some nice passes around the back of the fullbacks for us to get a cross in.
Zannata is the definition of a confidence player and he does seem to be growing in confidence, with it not quite coming off for him yet. Once we are playing teams who are less compact I think we can see the best of him.
Defensively we look better. I think dick is an upgrade defensively on macdonald but doesn't offer the same outlet going forward, although he is getting better with more game time.
Poplatnik has had a bit of criticism from some but he makes alot of intelligent runs and generally links the play well. I can't see him banging them in this season, but he looks a decent enough signing.

15 minutes ago, Michael W said:

He's not been that prolific historically, it's just that he always fucking scored against us and so it's at the front of the mind. 

I think we are going to be very reliant on Vaughan. 

Could do with Jamie Gullan coming back , echo what everyone else says we are toothless at the moment, had so much of the ball first half and criminal we didn’t score. Think John hasn’t done well in the striker department this year tbh but hoping they prove me wrong

3 minutes ago, grumswall said:

In games like today, where the opposition pack the box we are going to struggle to break teams down this season. Our width on the right is going to have to come from tumilty getting forward as Connolly is looking to play narrow most of the time. We put alot of crosses into the box today but they were well defended and it is a lot to ask for the likes of Vaughan to go and win a high cross against the likes of Graham. We really could have used someone with a bit more presence up top for that reason. We did play some decent stuff at times and we are looking to move the ball forward quicker than last season, with tait in particular playing some nice passes around the back of the fullbacks for us to get a cross in.
Zannata is the definition of a confidence player and he does seem to be growing in confidence, with it not quite coming off for him yet. Once we are playing teams who are less compact I think we can see the best of him.
Defensively we look better. I think dick is an upgrade defensively on macdonald but doesn't offer the same outlet going forward, although he is getting better with more game time.
Poplatnik has had a bit of criticism from some but he makes alot of intelligent runs and generally links the play well. I can't see him banging them in this season, but he looks a decent enough signing.

I hate zanatta but I agree with what you are saying, he should have scored today and I can’t see us finishing top 4 on what I have seen so far , I hate the 4-4-1-1, think tait does much better at the top of a midfield 3 . We have brought in a lot of players so it will take time as Killie have signed a lot as well and atm aren’t setting the heather on fire. I would have kept ugwu not because he was a great player but he worked for the team and made space for others