The New Raith Rovers Thread

12 hours ago, grumswall said:
13 hours ago, TxRover said:
Certainly with regard to Vaughan fit, but you bring up another thought, which is what is our best formation for this year. Let’s assume all currently on the squad players are healthy, what formation and lineup do we choose? Here’s one thought, but is it the best choice?
Keeper - MacDonald
Defenders - Tumilty/Musonda/Bene/Dick
Midfield - Tait/Matthews/Spencer
Forward - Connolly/Poplatnik/Vaughan

I think the squad has been built around Vaughan being our best player but with flexibility to change to different formations etc. If Vaughan is fit he plays and personnel permitting in his best position. So the 433 you're suggesting doesn't work in that scenario. It's more likely a 4231 as our best formation, just like we've played so far when Vaughan has been fit. He isn't playing directly next to poplatnik but interchanging with him and one of them have been deeper to help defend when required. We are pretty fluid with how the front "4"play though and that is clearly by design.

Fair enough, so who are your two midfield players of the three? I assume you have Poplatnik up top and Connolly/Vaughan/Zanatta as the three. What about the back four, which are the best choices?

Edited to clarify: Playing a 4-2-3-1, we have spots for two of Tait, Matthews and Spencer, so who sits? Tait, the wunderkid…Spencer, the rock…or Matthews, the creator?

Edited by TxRover

Fair enough, so who are your two midfield players of the three? I assume you have Poplatnik up top and Connolly/Vaughan/Zanatta as the three. What about the back four, which are the best choices?
Edited to clarify: Playing a 4-2-3-1, we have spots for two of Tait, Matthews and Spencer, so who sits? Tait, the wunderkid…Spencer, the rock…or Matthews, the creator?
I'd probably say macdonald tumilty musonda bene dick Spencer Tait Connolly Vaughan zannata poplatnik is about our strongest team on paper.

3 minutes ago, grumswall said:
21 minutes ago, TxRover said:

I'd probably say macdonald tumilty musonda bene dick Spencer Tait Connolly Vaughan zannata poplatnik is about our strongest team on paper.

On paper, I wouldn’t disagree with that, but it hurts sitting Matthews for Zanatta or Connolly…but it’s a reasonable choice for the formation. Who replaces Poplatnik in January is our next question.

On paper, I wouldn’t disagree with that, but it hurts sitting Matthews for Zanatta or Connolly…but it’s a reasonable choice for the formation. Who replaces Poplatnik in January is our next question.
Hopefully a striker who score goals. I like poplatnik and think he's good at bringing others into the game but he doesn't appear to be much of a goal threat.

54 minutes ago, TxRover said:

More of a goal scorer , recruitment has been crap this year to say the least, hopefully keatings comes onto a game now with vaughan out but so far looks way off the pace and done at this level tbh, looks like he would be a Kelty or East Kilbride signing now.

19 hours ago, TxRover said:

4-6 weeks is quoted, up to.

…or shorter, just saying.

Losing Vaughan hurts a bit, but we have some options. Not getting Frankie back as early as hoped hurts, but with McKay and Lang healthy now, isn’t that critical. Overall, Spencer might be more of a miss than Vaughan.

Vaughan is without doubt a huge blow, matthews coming back softens the blow of Brad but Vaughan imo is irreplaceable 😢

16 hours ago, TxRover said:

I’m still going to disagree. Vaughan has been very important, certainly, but I think the loss of Spencer seemed to take more out of us. Matthews is a different player and also is still getting back to full fitness and involvement. After another couple of games for Matthews, I would likely agree though.

On a related note, a midfield of Spencer/Tait/Matthews seems possible in the mid-future, and would harken back to the excellence of last year, so if we do that, would be be dropping one of the wings (Connolly or Zanatta) or Poplatnik for Vaughan and keep both wings?

I would drop a winger

5 hours ago, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

I read somewhere that Vaughan had torn his meniscus. 

There'll be different levels of damage of course but I had an op in March for the same thing on both sides of my knee and was told not to even think about football or running until October. 

Vaughan will have better physio than I did but if it's a bad tear, it'll be months rather than weeks. 

Time for James Keatings to step up. 

Can he though? Looked so far off it so far 

2 hours ago, roverthemoon said:

Remember that time we went to Pittodrie with a squad decimated by injuries? We’re winning 1-0 on Sunday I reckon. 

Was totally dreading the game when I heard the team and expected a drubbing but what a night it turned out to be.Up there with one of the best  in my decades of following the Rovers

Such a shame Lewis Vaughan will never fulfill his ability, he's going to be one of those players we talk about it 30 years time. He's had pretty much a knee injury every season and I'm not sure his knees are going to sustain much more football. I'd sincerely like to be wrong.

I'm sure he's been thinking about life after football but he's got/had the ability to go right to the top.

The boy needs to seriously consider his future in the game , I fear if these knee injuries keep happening he'll end up crippled in later life , the tear may need another opp to put right so he could be out for even longer and knowing his luck it'll happen again. Harsh as it sounds how long will/can the club sustain these extra costs

The new CEO listened to the fan groups about prices for kids. For the 1st time I can remember, we have a rate for U12's & the U16's price has been kept low. These are not natural Pratt Street instincts but we need this to rebuild our fan base & just put us on a level with most other clubs.

18 minutes ago, JAR said:

The new CEO listened to the fan groups about prices for kids. For the 1st time I can remember, we have a rate for U12's & the U16's price has been kept low. These are not natural Pratt Street instincts but we need this to rebuild our fan base & just put us on a level with most other clubs.

And yet no tangible gesture of thanks to anyone who supported them last season and here we are charging £20 for a televised cup game when other teams are offering free entry for season ticket holders or cheap prices. 

I'm not surprised we've sold barely half of our tickets. 

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

How long is that the new CEO has been in the position? Is anything any different? I can’t I have noticed a marked improvement in anything we do since she started.

This

1 hour ago, JAR said:

Whilst almost doubling the price of other season tickets

11 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

How long is that the new CEO has been in the position? Is anything any different? I can’t I have noticed a marked improvement in anything we do since she started.

Totally agree.

I don't think she is particularly well liked within the club and as far as I can see she hasn't done anything of note.