The New Raith Rovers Thread

Just now, Raithie said:

Re watching the game and hearing Rob Maclean's dejection at our equaliser is glorious 😂

You can sense the expectation in him when the 'big guns' are brought on as subs. The only one that made any positive impact was the young right back.

Also, what is all that JET stuff about with Emmanuel-Thomas? 

If the boy wants to abbreviate his name on his shirt, that's one thing but for the commentators to refer to him by that name was utter nonsense. 

5 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

You can sense the expectation in him when the 'big guns' are brought on as subs. The only one that made any positive impact was the young right back.

Also, what is all that JET stuff about with Emmanuel-Thomas? 

If the boy wants to abbreviate his name on his shirt, that's one thing but for the commentators to refer to him by that name was utter nonsense. 

At one point Stephen Craigen referred to him as 'The JET' 😂

Just watched the whole match, and I can tell you this Raith Rovers team never gave in. Our signings gave everything. Absolutely loved this game. McGlynn got it right. Really hope we go in with that second half performance against the Pars. From Macca at the back to Varian up front. We fought and better fought. Fucking love this club. 

2 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I didn't watch the first half but if MacLean didn't refer to his goal as a JET rocket he's missed a trick. 

The way MacLean was salivating over Aberdeen and JET In particular was cringy as fook. Thank god we now have a plan B. Connolly and Zanatta were brilliant. 

Was curious if any of the older generation Raith fans recall Robert "Bobby" Stein as a player?

https://www.raithrovers.net/49636/robert-bobby-stein.htm

Robert lived with his wife in the same street as my parents when I was growing up. 

We sometimes used to "accidentally" boot the ball into his garden because going to the door to retrieve it would often result in an impromptu game / coaching session in his garden. If we were playing passy-shooty in the street he'd occasionally pop out and join in. 

He was a real gentleman and a kind neighbor. Really sad to hear of his passing on Friday but have a lot of lovely memories of him.

Incredibly cringe of the commentators to refer to him as JET on telly. Utter bizarre stuff which definitely feels like they're trying to force it.

As for the tickets, it genuinely feels like the last few times the club seem to be updating stuff when it's being called out on here first. They've done a tremendous job in terms of marketing over the last few seasons. I really hope they can get a bit more organised and proactive about stuff.

55 minutes ago, Rizzo said:

Was curious if any of the older generation Raith fans recall Robert "Bobby" Stein as a player?

https://www.raithrovers.net/49636/robert-bobby-stein.htm

Robert lived with his wife in the same street as my parents when I was growing up. 

We sometimes used to "accidentally" boot the ball into his garden because going to the door to retrieve it would often result in an impromptu game / coaching session in his garden. If we were playing passy-shooty in the street he'd occasionally pop out and join in. 

He was a real gentleman and a kind neighbor. Really sad to hear of his passing on Friday but have a lot of lovely memories of him.

Here's something I posted elsewhere.

"Sad news indeed.
A bit of a boyhood idol to be honest.
Those of us of a certain vintage can still reel off the
"Stein, Evans and Porterfield" half back line up from the mid 60's.😊

Thanks for the memories Bobby.

Reid,
McKeown and Gray, 
Stein, Evans and Porterfield, 
Hutchison, Gardiner, Richardson, Lyall and McLean.
It still trips off the tongue after all these years.
A few tweaks the following season and bingo!till
It was promotion 😊

Thanks for your fine tribute John."

You've already located the tribute👍

Edited by embow

10 hours ago, foreverarover said:
13 hours ago, Elnamaw1 said:
Hearts given no tickets for Celtic Park - on that basis unlikely Rovers fans will receive an allocation for the quarter final. Disappointing if that’s the case

That was down only I think to hearts refusing away fans on the first game of the season at tyncastle.

Dont think that was the case.St Mirren are getting zero tickets for this weeks game at Parkhead either.

I'd heard about this through the pipeline over the last few months and got a confirmation at the Brechin game. We've definitely done the best from FEFA compared to the other clubs. It's little surprise that the Pars have decided to pull the plug. You'd fancy that if he keeps up his performances there's no reason why Tait can't net us another significant fee.

10 hours ago, Raithie said:

Re watching the game and hearing Rob Maclean's dejection at our equaliser is glorious 😂

It is isn’t it. Never heard a commentator so deflated by a goal. It’s bizarre. It’s an equaliser by the lower league team in their televised cup tie, setting up a grandstand finish to the match. If that was the FA Cup, they’d be loving it.  The folk involved in Scottish football are jaded as f**k. Can’t see beyond the Old Firm or a few other Premiership sides.

Yeah I recently heard of the Fife Elite decision to end to and call it a day - which is a real shame as we have really benefitted over the years with the likes of Bowie, Tait and hopefully young Arnott can kick on as I know they have high hopes for him. 

I coach one of the local teams at under 10 level and I have one of my kids  training with Fife Elite - when the kids enter their year of their 10th birthday that’s when the pro clubs/fife elite can start signing them - so it will be interesting to see what happens. 

I had heard that any kids currently at Fife Elite would be offered to join the Pars when they start up. 

Real Fife and other local youth teams last year/early this year became part of Raith Rovers Community Club - would probably be the easiest way for us to go down in honesty. A lot of the premier league clubs have community club set ups for the younger ages. 

3 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

I have no clue what Dunfermline gained from being a part of Fife Elite, if anything tbh. Unsurprised to see it getting patched.

Do you think that's a result of the setup itself, or was the club simply not making the most of what was there? Of the 4 clubs obviously Rovers have done best out of it over the years having got 2-3 actual first team players out of it and some reasonable squad cover. However, we seem to have done disproportionately well out of it. I'm wondering what the difference in club approach was.

Do you think that's a result of the setup itself, or was the club simply not making the most of what was there? Of the 4 clubs obviously Rovers have done best out of it over the years having got 2-3 actual first team players out of it and some reasonable squad cover. However, we seem to have done disproportionately well out of it. I'm wondering what the difference in club approach was.
I'm not sure how much truth was in it but wasn't there a story that Coulson is a Pars fan but turned them down for us as he felt we could offer better opportunities?

From our perspective, McGlynn has worked as a youth coach for Hearts and head scout for Celtic. We've got an established record of giving opportunities to younger players if they're good enough too. Wouldn't surprise me if we still keep finding young talents to bring through.

10 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

I have no clue what Dunfermline gained from being a part of Fife Elite, if anything tbh. Unsurprised to see it getting patched.

See, on the reverse, I never understood the attraction for the clubs other than Dunfermline. When it really seemed to come into effect I believe we were in League One, and there was no question that Dunfermline were the biggest "draw" for prospective graduates, both in terms of budget and league stature. 

Obviously over the last couple of years the Rovers have overturned that league discrepancy, and Dunfermline haven't really done particularly well out of the academy, so it makes sense for them to go it alone if they can afford to foot the bill. 

The Rovers, for whatever reason, still managed to make some decent pick-ups from Fife Elite, with Bowie being the obvious standout, but I really don't see why East Fife or Cowdenbeath in particular ever got involved. With the way the game is now, it's not really about trying to produce players for your first team, it's about trying to produce players you can sell. East Fife and Cowden were always going to be left with players who'd had two refusals. I don't know if it was the case that they didn't have much of an alternative. 

I suppose from the Rovers point of view now, they're looking at the past few years and thinking that, even within the same academy system, they've managed to nick a few prospects away from the Pars, and presumably hope to repeat that trick again outwith FEFA, despite not having a fully multi-tiered youth setup.