The New Raith Rovers Thread

14 minutes ago, The Stig said:

I have been discussing this today and my position is that GW and the management team (both McGlynn and Smith) need to go for definite.  I would also like to see at least 2 of the 4 board members away but that probably will not happen.

Keep dreaming as none of that is going to happen anytime soon

20 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

Hiding behind a statement that no one put their name too is shameful.

Absolutely. He's trying to massively downplay his hand in the signing, hopefully won't see him again in football, absolute dweeb. 

12 minutes ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

Expect he is on substantially more than £50k a year as he was on £50k a year with us I have heard from numerous sources.

I heard it was more like 62.5k after tax and NI so what Raith are paying him will surely be an increase on that.

15 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

All involved with this deal have to go.

”We made a misjudgement” isn’t going to cut it.

They could spin as much as they want, it won’t be enough and shouldn’t save them.

10 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

For me any chance to do this and survive was ended after yesterdays statement when they doubled down on the decision.   

Very much agreed. There was a stage yesterday where it was just about possible to imagine there was a way for the club to backtrack quickly and maybe begin the work that would have been necessary to regain some trust. That wretched statement yesterday evening blew that out the water. 

22 minutes ago, Yoss said:

The Sturgeon thing:

My first thought when I heard her comments was well that's a daft thing to say, the SPFL have no place getting involved and anyway he's already been playing for Clyde for several years.

But then I thought about it and adjusted my head - football doesn't have to work the way we've designed it. History is littered with middle aged white dinosaurs like me being barriers to progress because we've patted women on the head and told them oh you can't do such-and-such because the world we've designed doesn't work that way.

Another world is possible. I'm not trying to decry Raith's 100% responsibility for the current incident by saying the authorities should somehow have saved us from ourselves and had rules in place to make the signing impossible. But I'm coming round to the idea of supporting any moves that would block it, either by law or through the SPFL's own rules.

It'd be quite straightforward to do as well, given that the Disclosure / PVG scheme already exists. All you'd need to do is make professional football above an agreed level of the game to be a profession that requires PVG clearance, given that the job - merely by playing, quite apart from other external engagement - necessarily involves a level of community engagement.

This would be a minefield.

Being a footballer does not necessitate community engagement or interaction with groups deemed vulnerable.  It happens but it’s entirely down to the clubs/players trying to engage the community.

A convicted rapist could be doing all manner of jobs which would involve more definite contact with females than being a professional footballer.

5 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

For me any chance to do this and survive was ended after yesterdays statement when they doubled down on the decision.   

Yep, the Pars had a gobsmackingly bad statement blaming their supporters, and that probably beat our Chairman’s claim that he handed Gary Holt the near impossible task of getting 2 points from 5 games.

The RR Board statement has comfortably blown both of those statements out of the water with their “Piss off, a proven goalscorer trumps a rapist every time” and their “this was a football decision” bollocks. Hell mend them. They collectively need emptied asap……yes, McGlynn as well. He has unwittingly let the world see what he is truly all about.

They want this to “blow over”. It’s the duty of every right minded Rovers fan to ensure that it doesn’t happen.

28 minutes ago, Halbeath Raith Rover said:

Approaching 48 hours since the rumous started.

Getting rid of the player is doable even if expensive.

McGlynn is cheap to replace/free in the summer, but who knows who would take over if season ticket sales are low and our sponsorship has collapsed.

Getting rid of the BOD seems the hard part.

What would it take for people to go back ? 

No GW 

No GW or McGlynn

No GW or McGlynn and new board

If its the 3rd option then we could be looking at death by 1000 paper cuts. Thats not to say we snouldnt be aiming for it, especially after the statement 

Of course it's for each individual to decide what they're comfortable with, but personally, I will not watch a team with a rapist in it. So that's no Rovers games for me until he's gone. 

Once Goodwillie leaves, I can see me going to away games to cheer on the team. McGlynn's presence is a complicating factor, but I suspect he won't outlast Goodwillie now. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him leave when his contact expires at the end of the season. 

I can't put money into Raith Rovers while the current leadership are in place, though. No home games until Sim et al are gone. 

Edited by Against The Machine

5 minutes ago, Left Back said:

This would be a minefield.

Being a footballer does not necessitate community engagement or interaction with groups deemed vulnerable.  It happens but it’s entirely down to the clubs/players trying to engage the community.

A convicted rapist could be doing all manner of jobs which would involve more definite contact with females than being a professional footballer.

'Minefield' was my first thought too, tbh, but then that's precisely one of those obstacles we throw up to prevent change. It's perfectly doable if there's a way.

And as I tried to say in my post, I'd argue the mere act of playing at a high level of football already is inherently community engagement, quite apart from anything above this that clubs do in practice.

4 minutes ago, renton said:

I see Stephen MacAnespie has instructed the club to remove his name fro. The hall of fame...

Raith Supporters Trust » Blog Archive » Disgusted Raith Legend withdraws from Hall of Fame (raithtrust.org.uk)

40 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Do you think Sturgeon monitors the transfer ins and outs of Scottish lower league football on a regular basis? I doubt she could even have told you where Clyde or Raith Rovers played before Monday.

You would have thought she would have at least read up on his case and situation before "tweeting" given that she's in such a high profile position.

As it stands She's just made herself look stupid and that's coming from a card carrying SNP member.

16 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

I heard it was more like 62.5k after tax and NI so what Raith are paying him will surely be an increase on that.

Nah defo £50k gross when with us.

Expect it would be at least 50% uplift for the pain of the uproar that I was expecting he would get but it has blown up far more than what I thought it would be.

I bet he wished he was back with the easy life with us rather than all over the national and international news as he has pretty much sailed until the radar and could have done so earning £50k for the next 2 or 3 years.

He has basically put himself back at step 1 again in the rebuild of his life.

9 minutes ago, Yoss said:

'Minefield' was my first thought too, tbh, but then that's precisely one of those obstacles we throw up to prevent change. It's perfectly doable if there's a way.

And as I tried to say in my post, I'd argue the mere act of playing at a high level of football already is inherently community engagement, quite apart from anything above this that clubs do in practice.

Someone watching you do your job isn’t what the current laws/vetting are there to protect against. They exist to minimise the risk of someone potentially being a danger to certain groups coming into prolonged contact with those groups.  A male footballer works and comes into contact with in the main with other male footballers.

I have no sympathy for him but these knee-jerk reactions don’t stand up to any kind of scrutiny.

Just now, Bullyweeno1 said:

Nah defo £50k gross when with us.

Expect it would be at least 50% uplift for the pain of the uproar that I was expecting he would get but it has blown up far more than what I thought it would be.

I bet he wished he was back with the easy life with us rather than all over the national and international news as he has pretty much sailed until the radar and could have done so earning £50k for the next 2 or 3 years.

No doubt. Do you think Clyde would have him back with the controversy? I'm not so sure. 

1 minute ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

This thought crossed my mind earlier. Is there a scenario that plays out involving the player asking to be released because of the backlash?

He can’t be willing to put his family through this sort of ordeal, surely?