The New Raith Rovers Thread

The frustrating thing is Sim is utterly minted and will absolutely have the cash to pay Goodwillie off but he's a stubborn auld c**t, much like McGlynn, who seems like he's one of those 'I know best/won't be told what to do' type characters. 
Ah.... A typical bloody Fifer then........

Just now, DA Baracus said:

Anyway, are folk still pretending to not get why public figures are saying things about this now who hadn't said anything about it before?

This has been featured on the BBC, The Guardian, German TV, The Athletic and loads of other news outlets within and outwith Scotland and the UK. None of these sources mentioned the player before when he was Clyde.

People will latch on anything they can to deflect attention away. Classic whataboutery that the OF would be proud of.

4 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Anyway, are folk still pretending to not get why public figures are saying things about this now who hadn't said anything about it before?

This has been featured on the BBC, The Guardian, German TV, The Athletic and loads of other news outlets within and outwith Scotland and the UK. None of these sources mentioned the player before when he was Clyde.

From the BBC’s website:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-39521642

Edited by EdinburghBlue

7 minutes ago, velo army said:

Did you just join in for the last couple of pages? As has been said before, Clyde fans have been getting it tight for ages for signing home. If you search "Beast FC" or somesuch the majority of hits will be for Clyde threads.  

Sturgeon won't have been asked about it or had her attention directed to it. She is, quite famously, not a fitba fan.

Him signing for Raith is a national issue she on which she has asked to comment. What would you have had her say? 

I could accept that for the media request today, however She proactively "tweeted" on the subject yesterday.

18 minutes ago, Raithie said:

The frustrating thing is Sim is utterly minted and will absolutely have the cash to pay Goodwillie off but he's a stubborn auld c**t, much like McGlynn, who seems like he's one of those 'I know best/won't be told what to do' type characters. 

Its the definition of the ultimate self destruction. Only a couple of years ago we were confident that we could be beat you- after breaking the long hoodoo we did and draw regularly. Under McGlynn you kicked on remarkably, played attractive football, were miles ahead of us, and were that close to the unbelievable prize of promotion to Premiership. I think you get the Celtic.  Draw in SC, plenty money, raw ambition takes over and you destroy everything built in the last few years. Couldnt make it up. However, the RR fans have been amazing and all credit to them. Forget those who seek political opportunity, RR fans have stood up and said our values as a family club are more important than anyone’s ambition, hollow victories. Respect👏👏👏

29 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

You would have thought she would have at least read up on his case and situation before "tweeting" given that she's in such a high profile position.

As it stands She's just made herself look stupid and that's coming from a card carrying

Maybe If she had tweeted "Aye great signing for Raith every club should have a rapist in there team". 

Now that would have made herself look stupid.

6 minutes ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

Personally from a purely selfish football viewpoint I would have him back but doubt the club would given the publicity over the last 48 hours. (it was the main story on BBC Scotland last nite)

Feel sorry for the way it has worked out for everyone; DGW, Raith Rovers, the victim.

I dont think he realised how lucky he was playing with us, earning a decent wage and being a big fish in a small pond and getting his life back onto track with little aggro.

From a footballing viewpoint he is the best Clyde player have seen in 40 years and doubt will ever see a better player in my lifetime but we may just have had his best years as he will be 33 next month and despite his goal tally this season he has never seemed fully fit for the last 12 months.

Dont know how it is going to work out and expect the reception of his home fans when he plays his first game will be the telling factor.

Fair enough. I would feel dirty supporting him if he signed for us and have no doubt we'd have gotten significantly less flak in the media. 

As an opponent it's quite pleasing to hate someone and them being quite good at football, especially when you beat them.

I expect it'll be a career ender. Raith surely can't continue unabated with no sponsors, no volunteers and even less fans.

6 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Basically all this started with high profile members of Raith Rovers making their feelings known about this man signing for their club. The media picked up on it from there. 

The reason the media didn't pick up on anything before is the fact that he was completely accepted at Clyde by all club officials, supporters and sponsors. There was no fuss , hence no story. 

The best thing Goodwillie could have done, other than the obvious, would have been to take a page out of Kyle Lafferty's book and go play somewhere random, like a 3rd division cypriot side or somewhere. 

That's just my two cents.

Absolutely gutted for Raith Fans an utterly heartbreaking situation. 

For all those commenting on the FM & her views on the situation. She was filmed with Val McDermid, & members of the Womens/Girls setup, at Starks Park, at some point in time.

Both channels included historical footage of this event in their reporting.

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

After having her attention directed to it. I don't really understand your point here.

It's quite simple, She's tweeting "outraged" about the Raith Rovers signing but didn't have an issue with him playing for Clyde.

She wants the SPFL to look in to it now he's at Raith but didn't when at Clyde.

One of her own MSP's had an issue when he was at Clyde and it was headline News, so surely that's the time a discussion should have been taking place and possibly legislation being introduced then as opposed to just ignoring the situation while he was at Clyde but bringing it up now as being a major problem ??

3 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

It's quite simple, She's tweeting "outraged" about the Raith Rovers signing but didn't have an issue with him playing for Clyde.

One of her own MSP's had an issue when he was at Clyde and it was headline News, so surely that's the time a discussion should have been taking place and possibly legislation being introduced then as opposed to just ignoring the situation while he was at Clyde but bringing it up now as being a major problem ??

Desperation to stay relevent, methinks. 

Like you say, where was her outrage when he was at Clyde?

21 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

As I’ve said previously, I completely understand the outrage felt by people at Starks Park and people with Raith Rovers in their hearts.

But I am really struggling to understand why Aileen Campbell says that this move could have devastating consequences for Women’s football in Scotland. Why is it worse for Goodwillie to be playing for Raith Rovers than playing for Clyde? They are both SPFL clubs, so what is the difference? Likewise with Sturgeon’s comments. I just don’t get it.

97% of 18-24 year old women say they have been sexually harassed. In 2020 in Scotland of 2343 rapes, only 130 led to a conviction. Many people are trying to highlight inequality these days and a high profile football club signing a rapist is an astonishing slap in the face. Surely not that difficult a concept to "get".

18 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

2 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

How do you know she wouldn’t have an issue with him playing for Clyde? From her comments I took it as a given that she would have an issue with it, just that she was unaware of it because it wasn’t headline news and she’s obviously not a football fan. 

I highly doubt Sturgeon (or anyone else) listens to a fucking word John Mason says. 

1 minute ago, CraigFairlie said:

Desperation to stay relevent, methinks. 

Like you say, where was her outrage when he was at Clyde?

So you're saying siging a rapist is a good thing for a national sport that's trying to promote inclusion and participation?