The New Raith Rovers Thread

40 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:
2 hours ago, pub car king said:
I'd probably take a draw next week,  just so long as we don't lose because that would as good as end any play off hopes. 

Newsflash - we're staying down.

At least with the results yesterday, we have at least strengthened our position on the top 5. Only Morton have any real chance of catching us now. 

32 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

At least with the results yesterday, we have at least strengthened our position on the top 5. Only Morton have any real chance of catching us now. 

Looks like 4th or 5th for us after yesterdays result. We’re 8 clear of Morton with only 7 games to go while it’s not impossible they could catch us they’d probably need to win 4-5 of their games combined with us collapsing completely.  They’ve only won 8 games this season so to chase us down would be a hell of an achievement.  

8 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

Looks like 4th or 5th for us after yesterdays result. We’re 8 clear of Morton with only 7 games to go while it’s not impossible they could catch us they’d probably need to win 4-5 of their games combined with us collapsing completely.  They’ve only won 8 games this season so to chase us down would be a hell of an achievement.  

We may well finish in 5th, I just can’t see us take anything from Inverness, especially after the pasting they gave Arbroath yesterday. Really can’t wait for the end of the season. 

I certainty don't think we'd get  through the playoff, but you want to be in there and take the shot. 

Partick losing yesterday has brought them back into sight, albeit they've a game in hand. I still think they'll finish 3rd and that it's us v Caley for 4th place. We have to beat those fuckers eventually, just a shame league games don't go to penalties after a draw. 

Football teams and players thrive on confidence, Rovers will be much happier now with that win but so of course will  be Inverness. Yesterday ICT beat a good team at the top but by all accounts they were gifted 2 goals. There are no stand out teams in this league and any team in the top 5 that can string a run of results together can still challenge for the league. Being 11 points behind Killie I'd doubt we could and even Arbroath being 9 infront is all but insurmountable. However if Partick stumble against the Pars then they are catchable for 3rd if we are the team to go on a run.  Unlikely? Yes given how we've played it certainly is but not impossible. My main reason for optimism is as I said that there are NO STAND OUT TEAMS in this league and as such every single one of them is capable of putting in a duff string of performances. I don't rate Partick any more than I'd trate ICT, both haven't been great of late and are every bit as capable of playing shite as great, the only problem is that we're just the same. But hopefully we have turned the corner.

38 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

Football teams and players thrive on confidence, Rovers will be much happier now with that win but so of course will  be Inverness. Yesterday ICT beat a good team at the top but by all accounts they were gifted 2 goals. There are no stand out teams in this league and any team in the top 5 that can string a run of results together can still challenge for the league. Being 11 points behind Killie I'd doubt we could and even Arbroath being 9 infront is all but insurmountable. However if Partick stumble against the Pars then they are catchable for 3rd if we are the team to go on a run.  Unlikely? Yes given how we've played it certainly is but not impossible. My main reason for optimism is as I said that there are NO STAND OUT TEAMS in this league and as such every single one of them is capable of putting in a duff string of performances. I don't rate Partick any more than I'd trate ICT, both haven't been great of late and are every bit as capable of playing shite as great, the only problem is that we're just the same. But hopefully we have turned the corner.

Hopefully we’ve got that monkey off our backs, let’s just see how we handle the last quarter. 

7 hours ago, Scottydog said:

They definitely do thrive on confidence and we have won 2 of our last 3 games,!!hopefully we have turned a corner and have a good run in, we probably won’t get through the playoffs but financially it’s important 

17 hours ago, Scottydog said:

Yea you are absolutely right, there are no stand out teams. This was our best chance of achieving something, and yet we fall flat on our faces. I think this club love stepping on rakes. 

1 hour ago, baillieinleeds said:

Yea you are absolutely right, there are no stand out teams. This was our best chance of achieving something, and yet we fall flat on our faces. I think this club love stepping on rakes. 

Rewind to December 11th and I must admit I had genuinely started to believe that we might have a shot at winning the league. It wouldn’t have been easy given the money Kilmarnock were splashing around and the size of their squad, but I started to think it might be an outside possibility. The fact that even with our appalling run of form, we are just 11 points of top spot underlines what a chance it could have been. Such a weird season of two halves. 

I would have agreed there were no standout teams previously, but I think we have one now - Kilmarnock.

Maybe it took investment in the transfer window to manage it, but they're doing what they need to and coming into form at exactly the right time. They'll win it by 6-10 points. 

28 minutes ago, Michael W said:

I would have agreed there were no standout teams previously, but I think we have one now - Kilmarnock.

Maybe it took investment in the transfer window to manage it, but they're doing what they need to and coming into form at exactly the right time. They'll win it by 6-10 points. 

Thought they were always the team to beat and likeliest to go up given the size and investment in their squad. The January window just underlined that. 
Looking at our collapse since December, there were numerous games we lead or dominated but couldn’t get over the line, probably not enough to get us above Killie, but we could have still been in the mix. How much of that was down to recent events or simply running out of steam we’ll never know. Probably a mix of both. 

Edited by roverthemoon

We are 11 points off top,  having gone a whole quarter without a win.  Even a bang average quarter would have had us as title contenders.  Off the top of my head can think about 4 points thrown away against ICT and Queens, 5 points dropped from a winning position against Arbroath and Morton and dropping points to a dreadful Dunfermline team.  Its an absolutely massive opportunity blown.

Edited by CALDERON

21 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

We are 11 points off top,  having gone a whole quarter without a win.  Even a bang average quarter would have had us as title contenders.  Off the top of my head can think about 4 points thrown away against ICT and Queens, 5 points dropped from a winning position against Arbroath and Morton and dropping points to a dreadful Dunfermline team.  Its an absolutely massive opportunity blown.

Add in conceding a point in the fog in the 96th minute against Thistle and that 0-0 against a very poor Hamilton at Starks. All ifs and buts and to be fair on our winning run there were games we definitely got lucky. 

Edited by roverthemoon

57 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

Thought they were always the team to beat and likeliest to go up given the size and investment in their squad. The January window just underlined that. 
Looking at our collapse since December, there were numerous games we lead or dominated but couldn’t get over the line, probably not enough to get us above Killie, but we could have still been in the mix. How much of that was down to recent events or simply running out of steam we’ll never know. Probably a mix of both. 

It’s funny how The Rovers always seem to run out of steam mid way through a season, yet little Arbroath seemed until Saturday consistently fought for each other and remained top of the league. Yes they may fade, but up until the game at the weekend they showed what  fighting for the cause meant. Why we can’t match that tenacity or fervour with a bigger budget than most teams in this league, it really boggles the mind. 

16 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

It’s funny how The Rovers always seem to run out of steam mid way through a season, yet little Arbroath seemed until Saturday consistently fought for each other and remained top of the league. Yes they may fade, but up until the game at the weekend they showed what  fighting for the cause meant. Why we can’t match that tenacity or fervour with a bigger budget than most teams in this league, it really boggles the mind. 

This season I think it’s more complex than the usual clocks going back phenomenon. Losing Spencer was a huge blow and the deadline day fiasco has had a huge impact on the club morale on and off the field. Sadly it probably also highlights that Dick Campbell is a better manager than McGlynn. 

Edited by roverthemoon

3 hours ago, roverthemoon said:

This season I think it’s more complex than the usual clocks going back phenomenon. Losing Spencer was a huge blow and the deadline day fiasco has had a huge impact on the club morale on and off the field. Sadly it probably also highlights that Dick Campbell is a better manager than McGlynn. 

Arbroath have had nothing like the injuries we've had.