The New Raith Rovers Thread

Turnbull felt it was right not to name any potential signings that have been offered lately, but dowie cardle imrie were on the radar start of pre season (they were the ones who have now went looking elsewhere) with moon fox smith Elliott plus another 3 un named players all on Murrays list early doors.

Cardle insisted there was no other interest other than raith from Scotland! And that England would be a fresh start and new challenge, and much appreciated the club offering game time at end of the season.. (Half the wage he was on at pars for a month also)

So we may end up with cardle come mid pre season if it falls through down south..

McCracken and naysmith and weatherston ( not sure if its the younger one ex falkirk) were the names doing the rounds today down at Starks..

Who is McCracken? Can't say I've ever heard of him?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

We have three strikers, which surely rules out either the ex-Falkirk or ex-Morton striker. I can't be arsed trying to spell out their names (since they spell it differently).

McCracken sounds like ex-Dundee United player David McCracken. He was at St Johnstone most recently and didn't really get a game by the looks of things. I don't know how up to date his wiki page is, but it seems to suggest the contract situation isn't cut and dry - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_McCracken

He'd be a great signing if we can get him in. Experienced and of a decent calibre.

We have three strikers, which surely rules out either the ex-Falkirk or ex-Morton striker. I can't be arsed trying to spell out their names (since they spell it differently).

McCracken sounds like ex-Dundee United player David McCracken. He was at St Johnstone most recently and didn't really get a game by the looks of things. I don't know how up to date his wiki page is, but it seems to suggest the contract situation isn't cut and dry - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_McCracken

He'd be a great signing if we can get him in. Experienced and of a decent calibre.

Weatherston seemed to be playing out wide for Falkirk. Could be Murray sees him doing the same for us while also possibly being an emergency forward.

If we signed Naysmith then that would mean Booth playing in midfield which would probably negate the need to sign Weatherston.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

David McCracken won't be getting a new contract at Saints. As far as I know, his injury isn't serious (and Saints put him through an operation towards the end of last season) so why he'd choose to highlight that by claiming it was the reason for his deal being withdrawn, I have no idea. More likely is either he couldn't agree (reduced, possibly) terms, he sat on the offer for too long (lack of commitment) or Saints had a change of heart over where the budget could be used. We aren't likely to sign a dedicated centre back to replace him anyway.

There are two ways of looking at his time at Saints. He was third choice centre back behind Wright and Anderson but still played 54 games over his two seasons and on the hard facts side of things, Saints had one of the better defences (goals conceded) in the SPL during his time at the club. On the other hand, you look at him as a player and he has weaknesses. He's slow and his timing in the jump and marking at set pieces is poor. Positioning wise he's alright and for a big lump, he's actually not bad with the ball at his feet. By no means a ball playing centre back but the ball won't be lumped out of the park any time it comes near him.

If he'd stayed at Saints, I think most fans would have been happy to still have him as cover for Anderson and Wright but equally, I don't think anyone is losing sleep over not having him in the squad. On that basis, you'd think he would do fine in the First Division.

Really like the look of the squad Rovers are putting together next season though. Hopefully after his spell at Alloa, you'll see the best of Kevin Moon, who is a player that could still be playing in the SPL I think.

Listening to folk today, Paul Watson might be the centre half.

Average. I don't think there's much between him and Mensing abilitywise but I certainly hope we'll be better organised with the latter's experience.

One of the players we were apparently in for was Errol Douglas who has just signed for Stenhousemuir from Craigroyston. According to their website he's scored 42 goals in 33 games for their under 19 team. He wanted to remain part time though, presumably because he's studying at Heriot-Watt university.

Did anyone pick up a new kit yet and if so are they the same sizes as last years or do they come up bigger or smaller

I never got one last year but they are similarly sized to the pink one

Bigger made than the home top from last year

Are you three on the fucking wind up?

S/M/L/XL what's the problem?

The entire time puma have been making our kits I have had to buy a medium some years and a small other years. I have not changed size in the last ten years. It must depend on which sweatshop makes it on which year.

David McCracken won't be getting a new contract at Saints. As far as I know, his injury isn't serious (and Saints put him through an operation towards the end of last season) so why he'd choose to highlight that by claiming it was the reason for his deal being withdrawn, I have no idea. More likely is either he couldn't agree (reduced, possibly) terms, he sat on the offer for too long (lack of commitment) or Saints had a change of heart over where the budget could be used. We aren't likely to sign a dedicated centre back to replace him anyway.

There are two ways of looking at his time at Saints. He was third choice centre back behind Wright and Anderson but still played 54 games over his two seasons and on the hard facts side of things, Saints had one of the better defences (goals conceded) in the SPL during his time at the club. On the other hand, you look at him as a player and he has weaknesses. He's slow and his timing in the jump and marking at set pieces is poor. Positioning wise he's alright and for a big lump, he's actually not bad with the ball at his feet. By no means a ball playing centre back but the ball won't be lumped out of the park any time it comes near him.

If he'd stayed at Saints, I think most fans would have been happy to still have him as cover for Anderson and Wright but equally, I don't think anyone is losing sleep over not having him in the squad. On that basis, you'd think he would do fine in the First Division.

Really like the look of the squad Rovers are putting together next season though. Hopefully after his spell at Alloa, you'll see the best of Kevin Moon, who is a player that could still be playing in the SPL I think.

So better or worse than Mark Campbell ?

The entire time puma have been making our kits I have had to buy a medium some years and a small other years. I have not changed size in the last ten years. It must depend on which sweatshop makes it on which year.

I get this now, it was like there was a conversation going on with no point of reference.

So better or worse than Mark Campbell ?

Hard to say too much about Campbell as he wasn't given much of a chance at us and it was eight years ago he was at the club. He was dropped pretty quickly after a few poor performances but I think he was quite popular at Raith?

You look at McCracken's career and it's probably fair to say he's a better player than Campbell though. Never played below SPL level in Scotland was in teams of the year etc... when he was in the lower leagues down south.