The New Raith Rovers Thread

3 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Agreed about Dabrowski. He could do with being a bit more authoritative in the 6 yard box. 

I suspect that Corr, Masson and Dabs will all benefit from Watson. As before, he was clearly marshaling the defence, and I expect he will have some discussions with Dabs, as will Thompson, as they review the game on video.

3 hours ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

I don't think there's any great reason to be disheartened after that.

If Millen was out long term I'd be concerned, but as long as he's back for the league it'll be fine. Corr was better than I expected. He was asked to do a fair bit with the ball, particularly in the second half, and he didn't do badly at all. A bit more confidence and he'll be absolutely grand. Watson and Dick as expected; their strengths are their strengths and their weaknesses are their weaknesses. They'll be fine for the Championship this year. 

Having either Matthews or Brown to add to that team will be a huge boost. Stanton is far from terrible, but he's not a natural in that lone holding role and it shows. Our various attacking players all looked good in flashes, a bit more understanding and I'm sure some combination of them will work well most weeks too.

I absolutely agree that the absence of Millen snowballed our issues. If Masson had started at RB, we could have used McGill in the DM role that Stanton was shoehorned into, probably to good effect. The problem then would be is Stanton dropped to the bench, or does he replace perhaps Mullin or Smith?

Anyway, Corr will do fine. He was calm and confident on the ball, his distribution was quite decent, and his one major blunder was redeemed by his recovery. I certainly think todays display reduces the pressure for an immediate CB signing, and lets IM be a bit more picky on who we bring in. Masson should probably be the choice before McGill at RB, given it’s a more natural position for him…and todays showing by McGill confirms his more emergency nature at the back, and our need for a LB signing.

Edited by TxRover

If the prosecution was "Rovers did enough to win in 90 minutes" it would probably stand up in a civil court on 'balance of probability', but fall short in criminal court on 'beyond all reasonable doubt'.

Thought we were the better team over the piece, but still lack a real cutting edge and looked vulnerable on the counter attack, especially when we turned over possession in midfield.

Can't wait to see Ross Matthews back for the next derby. His mission has to be to cement the Phantom of the Opera who scored their 5th penalty.

Hummmm…Stanton and Smith likely out for Tuesday, no one expected to return.

Dąbrowski

Masson/Watson/Corr/Dick

Easton/McGill

Mullin/Vaughan/Gullen

Hamilton

Bench: Thomson, O’Neil, Arnott, Mitchell

Sweet Jesus, here we go again…Hamilton off at the 60 minute mark for Mitchell…Arnott the random reserve.

3 hours ago, TxRover said:

Hummmm…Stanton and Smith likely out for Tuesday, no one expected to return.

Dąbrowski

Masson/Watson/Corr/Dick

Easton/McGill

Mullin/Vaughan/Gullen

Hamilton

Bench: Thomson, O’Neil, Arnott, Mitchell

Sweet Jesus, here we go again…Hamilton off at the 60 minute mark for Mitchell…Arnott the random reserve.

Suspect both Stanton and Smith will be in the squad for Tuesday. They came off as precautions. 

25 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

McGill struggled in the first half, was a bit better in the second half but he is still miles ahead of Masson for the RB cover.

He is proven at this level, give him a chance, the absence of Brown and Matthews was the difference in last nights match, so it was obvious he was going to be exposed, he’ll only get better. 

Murray mentioned Smith & Stanton came off as precautions/they were cramping up etc. but he also acknowledged there aren’t the bodies currently to replace them, so I’d expect them firmly back in the mix come Tuesday.

Murray again stressing the club are ‘close’ with a few signings but acknowledging it’s frustrating that there’s not much can be done once an offer has been made, other than sit by the phone & do likewise with other targets.

6 minutes ago, CrossgatesCynic said:

Murray mentioned Smith & Stanton came off as precautions/they were cramping up etc. but he also acknowledged there aren’t the bodies currently to replace them, so I’d expect them firmly back in the mix come Tuesday.

Murray again stressing the club are ‘close’ with a few signings but acknowledging it’s frustrating that there’s not much can be done once an offer has been made, other than sit by the phone & do likewise with other targets.

Agents have a lot do with it obviously, biases aside. Why not commit to an up and coming club like RRFC. The positivity within the club is a breath of fresh air. Yes I do know money is a factor too. 

14 minutes ago, philpy said:

Were the new pies etc any good?? Some lad on twitter that does reviews only gave the mince pie 5/10

Me and my Son both had steak pie and it was better than last years. Shame about the 20 minute wait to be served.

No sausage rolls or steak and haggis pies in one of the kiosks (at about 4.15!) but the steak pie was tasty and the kids liked their hot dogs- a definite improvement on previous catering I’d say. 
In defence of the long queues, I’d say being a tea-time kick-off, maybe more folk than usual for that size of crowd were wanting food?

Just waiting until Tuesday to test the catering.

Was a decent enough game yesterday, frustrating to lose the extra point the way we did. Both Gullan’s and Vaughans penalties were poor. Pars zoned in on McGill and it worked for most of the game. But I feel we had the better of the chances overall. Gullan was unlucky off the bar from his free kick and his turn and shot in the second half. Thought Corr looked not bad on my first viewing, recovered from his mistake as well. Think if he got a run of games in the team he could be decent next to Watson. Dabrowski will just take time to settle in as well.

Totally different game on Tuesday night. 

6 minutes ago, stevoraith said:

No sausage rolls or steak and haggis pies in one of the kiosks (at about 4.15!) but the steak pie was tasty and the kids liked their hot dogs- a definite improvement on previous catering I’d say. 
In defence of the long queues, I’d say being a tea-time kick-off, maybe more folk than usual for that size of crowd were wanting food?

Hardest game to test the new catering with. Always huge queues and long waits at a derby and suspect there were a few sampling the new menu. Will hopefully calm down. Had the Chicken Curry pie. Top notch.