The New Raith Rovers Thread

6 minutes ago, Arthur Reid McDermott said:

It's a fair point CB to ask what I expect from a young player:

However, I in return would ask, have we just become a Nursery club?  We used to have reserve teams and leagues where young players would learn their game and hone off the rough edges. Sadly it seems we now bring young players in too soon because there would appear to be no other way of giving them game time.  Unless you are one of the super rich clubs who have B teams playing in our lower league, which is where Corr was before we signed him.  I Genuinely admire Young Corr.  I am positive he has the makings of a very good defender, but I fear right now, we may do more harm than good in playing these young lads too soon and exposing them, (especially defenders) to far more experienced opponents therefore denting their confidence.

I fear my criticism of the lad is being entirely misunderstood as a slant against him.  It is most definitely NOT.  I am convinced one day he will be an excellent defender.

I am just angry at a system that exposes these lads far too soon and possibly to the detriment of their career.  In criticising the lad I am genuinely trying to point out the complicated by product of a system that we are forced to adopt simply because all the cash goes to the so called "big clubs".  Would they put up with young players learning from their mistakes in their first teams and costing goals?  

You bet your life they wouldn't.  

Oh, but wait a minute, I forgot, THEY DON'T HAVE TO!

Its a total double edged sword isn't it. Young players need to play to get better and teams want success and at times can't trust young players. We know reserve team football isn't good enough, thats why clubs are pushing for this B Team nonsense in the Lowland leagues and in cups.

In my opinion, we should always be a club that gives young players as many games as possible, only need to look at what we have now with Matthews, Masson, Arnott, Mitchell and Vaughan all being given chances and at various stages of their careers having started here. With young players you'll have mistakes but for me its how the team recovers from them and helps the young players through those times. 

Corr will learn more right now making errors than he will sitting on the bench not getting opportunities to improve. 

Alright folks, hope you don’t mind me sharing this on here. I had ex Rovers midfielder Regan Hendry on my podcast this week if anyone fancies giving it a listen. Clearly loved his time at the club and only had good things to say. Any feedback or shares/follows on social media massively appreciated, hope you all enjoy and all the best for the season👍🏻 

YouTube: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aWkWZ5nGHRk 
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/episode/3xo6VXxbiA75ji5qsdkddg?si=yHJMEOA8QI-OonSw4KbPjA 
Apple: https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/a-chat-with-regan-hendry/id1570371231?i=1000623051839 

Cheers 
Ross

It's an interesting listen, he was an absolute class act on the park his performance and goal in that Dunfermline match was something else. 

Clearly a switched on guy as well because he saw straight through "Big Dunc" in record time as well. 

8 hours ago, Arthur Reid McDermott said:

It's a fair point CB to ask what I expect from a young player:

However, I in return would ask, have we just become a Nursery club?  We used to have reserve teams and leagues where young players would learn their game and hone off the rough edges. Sadly it seems we now bring young players in too soon because there would appear to be no other way of giving them game time.  Unless you are one of the super rich clubs who have B teams playing in our lower league, which is where Corr was before we signed him.  I Genuinely admire Young Corr.  I am positive he has the makings of a very good defender, but I fear right now, we may do more harm than good in playing these young lads too soon and exposing them, (especially defenders) to far more experienced opponents therefore denting their confidence.

I fear my criticism of the lad is being entirely misunderstood as a slant against him.  It is most definitely NOT.  I am convinced one day he will be an excellent defender.

I am just angry at a system that exposes these lads far too soon and possibly to the detriment of their career.  In criticising the lad I am genuinely trying to point out the complicated by product of a system that we are forced to adopt simply because all the cash goes to the so called "big clubs".  Would they put up with young players learning from their mistakes in their first teams and costing goals?  

You bet your life they wouldn't.  

Oh, but wait a minute, I forgot, THEY DON'T HAVE TO!

Which is why the new owners are planning a reserve team, per their statements, next year.

I noticed that brody Paterson wasn’t in the Hartlepool squad tonight right before the beginning of their season so maybe he could be injured or like with Murray trying to get a move away it’ll be interesting to see what happens as he been rumoured to be keen to sign for us this summer 

8 hours ago, pub car king said:

It's an interesting listen, he was an absolute class act on the park his performance and goal in that Dunfermline match was something else. 

Clearly a switched on guy as well because he saw straight through "Big Dunc" in record time as well. 

He sounds like he's just waiting for us to get to be promoted before coming back to us... 

9 hours ago, pub car king said:

Good listen, but in all honesty, how switched on would someone really need to be to see through Duncan Ferguson?

10 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

Good listen, but in all honesty, how switched on would someone really need to be to see through Duncan Ferguson?

I always found it quite fitting he was out the door as soon as Dunc came in given that Regan and Jock McStay appear to know each other and get on well.

29 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

Big Dunc claimed he didn't know who he was, the fact that Regan had played almost every game until drunken Duncan came in, does speak volumes.

9 hours ago, RRFC_Liam said:

I noticed that brody Paterson wasn’t in the Hartlepool squad tonight right before the beginning of their season so maybe he could be injured or like with Murray trying to get a move away it’ll be interesting to see what happens as he been rumoured to be keen to sign for us this summer 

Ian Murray recently mentioned that he was looking to add a defender who could play on either flack, a midfielder and striker.

Going by the rumours this probably points to Brody Paterson as the defender and Shaun Byrne as midfield, but as both under contract with their current clubs and new managers have come in who want to have look at them first, we have probably inquired about them and trying to work out deal with their club to release or loan them to us.

In terms of the striker, I pretty much expect this will be young player who is raw and will come on loan.

Going by where we are in the season in Scotland and England, I can see anything really happening until the middle/end of August once all teams have got their squads in order.

Also at this point I would expect to see Masson, Mitchell and Arnott go out on loan too.

Edited by Greedo

1 minute ago, CrossgatesCynic said:

I see Kerr McInroy is set to join Partick on loan. Definitely think he could have been a good midfield option to bring in.

Aye, always looked the part for Ayr and Dunfermline.

On the other hand, if Millen is fit, then McGill is free, and when Matthews and Brown are fit you've potentially got three guys competing for the one sitting midfield role in the current formation, and all of them are in the queue behind Stanton.

4 minutes ago, renton said:

Aye, always looked the part for Ayr and Dunfermline.

On the other hand, if Millen is fit, then McGill is free, and when Matthews and Brown are fit you've potentially got three guys competing for the one sitting midfield role in the current formation, and all of them are in the queue behind Stanton.

I don’t necessarily disagree but it does beg the question of just what type of midfielder Murray is hoping to bring in.

As mentioned, once Matthews & Brown are back fit, that’s the holding role sorted. It also frees up McGill when Millen is back, for a more attacking role. The holding role being filled pushes Stanton forward too.

Makes you wonder who Murray is after, or even which area specifically he’s looking to bolster.

Edited by CrossgatesCynic

3 minutes ago, CrossgatesCynic said:

I don’t necessarily disagree but it does beg the question of just what type of midfielder Murray is hoping to bring in.

As mentioned, once Matthews & Brown are back fit, that’s the holding role sorted. It also frees up McGill when Millen is back, for a more attacking role. The holding role being filled pushes Stanton forward too.

Makes you wonder who Murray is after, or even which area specifically he’s looking to bolster.

probably a wider midfielder to challenge Mullin, Smith and Connolly. Ethan Ross barely seems to fit the bill these days due to injury.

7 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

probably a wider midfielder to challenge Mullin, Smith and Connolly. Ethan Ross barely seems to fit the bill these days due to injury.

you’ve also got Hammer who could play there, Dylan Easton who could play out wide as well so can’t see it being another wide player could see it being another Holding Midfielder as we don’t know what brown and Matthews would be like when they are back