The New Raith Rovers Thread

If we are lucky/good enough to get to a final against Rangers then I would like to see us use the money to buy/fix starks park.

The match experience is terrible due to no atmosphere even in big games its poor. Id like to see us fix the railway stand.

Our problem is that we dont own starks park and are paying rent. The owner of the staduim has (or almost) made his money back through rent. I dont think there is a que of people wanting to rent or buy starks park, with morrisons down the road and housing not selling I cant see who would want to buy it. It would be great to offer to buy it back for a small fee, 20k or something and tell the owner if he declines we will ground share (east fife) and he will be left with an empty worthless staduim. I love my team and love playing at starks park but more than ever now I think its a poor place to watch football. Paying rent is a massive problem for the club, around 5k a month is a lot of money that can be invested in the team.

There is no point fixing the railway stand, there isn't enough demand for the capacity we do have, and trying to fix the railway stand is a nasty job, involving tearing up the pitch over the summer whiel any heavy equipment is brought into Starks. Any money we make from any notional game with rangers, even if it were a sell out, will go straight back into club debts - it'd be a decent pay day, but we only made about £200,000 from our best cup run to the semis a few years back, doubt we'd earn all that much from a challenge cup final with newco.

But yeah, Starks is shit for atmosphere, and we should've moved years ago. C'est la vie.

Agreed money could be better spent elsewhere rather than repairing the railway stand. It would be great to have it back but it would just make the south stand look even more depressing with the gaps in the seats. Our priority has to be making a profit this year (decent cup run and a good league finish will help) and try to strenghten the squad next season. Buying the stadium back will probably not happen unless one of us wins the euro millions

If we are lucky/good enough to get to a final against Rangers then I would like to see us use the money to buy/fix starks park.

The match experience is terrible due to no atmosphere even in big games its poor. Id like to see us fix the railway stand.

Our problem is that we dont own starks park and are paying rent. The owner of the staduim has (or almost) made his money back through rent. I dont think there is a que of people wanting to rent or buy starks park, with morrisons down the road and housing not selling I cant see who would want to buy it. It would be great to offer to buy it back for a small fee, 20k or something and tell the owner if he declines we will ground share (east fife) and he will be left with an empty worthless staduim. I love my team and love playing at starks park but more than ever now I think its a poor place to watch football. Paying rent is a massive problem for the club, around 5k a month is a lot of money that can be invested in the team.

You moan about the atmosphere being crap at Starks, then suggest ground sharing a one stand soulless diddy ground like New Bayview? Please explain that one to me.

We would also have to pay them rent of some sort, probably a fixed percentage of our gate. It's not worth it.

Edited by Michael W

I'm hoping that some of the income,Should we meet The Rangers in the Final, will be used to bolster the squad.

As we head towards the inevitable suspensions (that wisnae a swipe at Dougie H***!!)we'd need new faces to maintain what momentum we might have....IMO ;)

I wish folk would shut up about a possible final against Sevco, we have a tough tie against an Annan side who seem to be playing well (& of course Stenny can pull off a shock)

It's not just a dig at you Wee Sandy, I've seen folk talking about where the final should be played, projected crowds & income etc, its a wee bit disrespectful of Annan IMO & it wouldn't surprise me if we fell on our pusses in the semi.

Yeah, fair play, and I agree with what you say. However, I did qualify what I said "SHOULD" beat Annan FC.

I certainly take nothing for granted.

Neither Annan nor Stenhousemuir will be pushovers, RESPECT to them both, it could be an Annan v S'Muir final, however,

IF we get thro' with Ra Gers, then, and only then, there should be some big dosh coming in.!!

Edited by Wee Sandy

Please not the Railway Stand debate again. Absolutely no point putting in extra seats when we don't even come close to filling the seats we have.

Our stadium isn't really fit for purpose and being forced to put in 10,000 seats for no reason has made it far too big for what we need (even with the defunct Railway Stand) but I'm glad we didn't move to a soulless new ground on the outskirts. For all its shiteness I still love Starks Park

Still, paying rent at 5k a month is a massive amount of money that could be used on players. And rent that the owner does nothing on the maintenance of the stadium, that cost the club extra. I don't think it would cost a lot to buy the ground. I don't think any one would want to ground share but the owner needs to understand there is the potential of other options or he can basically charge as much rent as he wants. IMO Starks park as much as I love the place, is not that much better than bayview!

Also can anyone help explain the process of cup money? On ticket sales, if rovers played rangers with 40-50k fans then would we get around 150k-250k? What other income/costs are involved?

Edited by RoyRace

Yeah, fair play, and I agree with what you say. However, I did qualify what I said "SHOULD" beat Annan FC.

I certainly take nothing for granted.

Neither Annan nor Stenhousemuir will be pushovers, RESPECT to them both, it could be an Annan v S'Muir final, however,

IF we get thro' with Ra Gers, then, and only then, there should be some big dosh coming in.!!

Sorry, I woke up up with a pounding headache from whisky, cognac, and red wine (ALL homemade...) & the recollection that I had unwittingly eaten badger, so I was not my usual happy chirpy self if you know what I mean.

I misread your post & had you (and others) down as spending money we haven't earned yet.

SHOULD we defeat Annan, I'd much rather play Stenny from a personal point of view.

I know financially it would help the club greatly if we were to play Sally's Army, but I know of far too many gloating armchair zombies who would be a complete pain in the ass if they beat us to win their first ever cup final against us (Think John Motson & that year, x 1000000000000).

I'd end up in court on assault charges,

& for what?

The ramsdens cup?

:D

I think the stadium issue is a red herring. I agree it's not ideal in terms of either the set up or ownership situation but any of the alternative options would pretty much kill the club

Building a purpose built stadium which we own and meets our criteria somewhere else in Kirkcaldy is financially a non-starter and even assuming someone would loan us the money (highly unlikely) the cost of paying that back would be cripple the club for years.

Moving out of Kirkcaldy to ground share would be the start of the death of the club even if there was a viable place to go which there isn't. Bayview is a shit ground with one stand. It's also in Methil and has no atmosphere either. The support who would travel there every week would be down to the bare bones. Central Park is non-starter and Dunfermline is a decent ground but we'd move to paying rent to our biggest rivals. Again the support would dwindle. Ground sharing offers no proven financial benefit and pretty much risks killing the soul of the club.

I'd rather focus on keeping a sustainable club in the community.

Edited by roverthemoon

SHOULD we defeat Annan, I'd much rather play Stenny from a personal point of view.

I know financially it would help the club greatly if we were to play Sally's Army, but I know of far too many gloating armchair zombies who would be a complete pain in the ass if they beat us to win their first ever cup final against us (Think John Motson & that year, x 1000000000000).

& for what?

The ramsdens cup?

I can see where you're coming from but on balance I'd rather pocket their cash, taunt them for 90 minutes for having gone bust and even if we lost then its still just the Diddy cup. So we could point and laugh at them treating winning the Diddy Cup like it was the Champions League. Win win

Having said all that we'll probably go out on penalties to Annan

Please not the Railway Stand debate again. Absolutely no point putting in extra seats when we don't even come close to filling the seats we have.

Our stadium isn't really fit for purpose and being forced to put in 10,000 seats for no reason has made it far too big for what we need (even with the defunct Railway Stand) but I'm glad we didn't move to a soulless new ground on the outskirts. For all its shiteness I still love Starks Park

Stark's Park needs a strong Railway Stand. Fact!

Sorry, I woke up up with a pounding headache from whisky, cognac, and red wine (ALL homemade...) & the recollection that I had unwittingly eaten badger, so I was not my usual happy chirpy self if you know what I mean.

I misread your post & had you (and others) down as spending money we haven't earned yet.

& for what?

The ramsdens cup?

From what I saw of the The Rangers game yesterday, Stenny would give us a better game than that mob.

I think everyone realises that beating Annan isn't a given but we are pretty big favourites and it's only natural to speculate about the final.

From what I saw of the The Rangers game yesterday, Stenny would give us a better game than that mob.

I think everyone realises that beating Annan isn't a given but we are pretty big favourites and it's only natural to speculate about the final.

Marvin Andrews tortured them

I don't think I have honestly seen any Rovers fans saying WHEN we play Rangers, think we are all well aware of our ability to mess it all up against Annan and with Fat Sally at the Helm even if we beat Annan Stenhousemuir could be our opponents in the final.

Stark's Park may not be the worlds greatest footballing venue but its far from the worst so be careful what you wish for. Its walking distance from the High Street which is a huge plus moving outside the centre of town or ground sharing in another town would see our support fall below 1000 and we would probably never get it back you only have to look at Airdrieonians or Clyde both of whom had far bigger supports before they moved.

What I would like to see (maybe it is available) is a target of how much we need to raise to buy back Starks Park as I think this should be our long-term goal (barring the Euro Millions) How much is owed on it? Have we payed anything off so far? The land can't be worth that much as its hardly prime real estate next to the railway lines so we must be talking thousands not millions surely? and yes it will take years but I would like to see an effort to buy it back, owning your ground is a massive plus. Even just small events or buckets round the ground would raise some cash. The club and fans do a great job running the club and did fantastic saving the club from the brink but I think we should have this as a target no matter how long it might take.

Marvin Andrews tortured them

No bad for a 38 year old, from what I have seen on-line the Sevco fans were saying it was typical Fat Sally up against a 38 year old Marvin Andrew and hes got his team throwing in crosses which anyone who has seen Big Marv play knows he will deal with all day long. Surely any manager with an ounce tactical knowledge would of put fast strikers to run at him as at 38 he would lack the pace. Great to see Big Marv playing and having a good game pit in some great shifts for us and a player everyone likes, Marvin Say believe

The owner of the ground has almost paid off what he borrowed to buy the stadium, he is now in line to start making a profit. In theory, he can sell it for as much or as little as he likes. So If the club were to make an offer with terms that should he not accept we have alternative plans to play else where (not that we would actually want this) he would be silly not to accept as the ground without a club is worth very little.

The owner of the ground has almost paid off what he borrowed to buy the stadium, he is now in line to start making a profit. In theory, he can sell it for as much or as little as he likes. So If the club were to make an offer with terms that should he not accept we have alternative plans to play else where (not that we would actually want this) he would be silly not to accept as the ground without a club is worth very little.

Not that we're a shining example of how to run your finances but just look at how much we picked up East End for compared to what GM had it mortgaged for and your last point is very valid and should give you a bit of hope. About £150K or so and not so long ago it had a mortgage of about £12mil against it.

Not that we're a shining example of how to run your finances but just look at how much we picked up East End for compared to what GM had it mortgaged for and your last point is very valid and should give you a bit of hope. About £150K or so and not so long ago it had a mortgage of about £12mil against it.

East end cost us far more than 150k, I'm lead to believe its closer to £1m, still far lower than it was mortgaged for.