The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 hour ago, R12ATH said:

I just dont rate him that much as a full back. Watch during a game, he never stops a cross coming in when one on one with opposition player, which ultimately lead to chances and goals and his defensive positional play is suspect. Two of the most important attributes as a full back.

Only my opinion, entitled to it. Calm down peeps.

And no, i never boo a player or the team.

Looking at our strongest 11 id genuinely say he is our weakest player, in contest with big Kev. 

No one can be taken seriously when they use the idiots battlecry of "entitled to my opinion" as justification for a pish viewpoint. 

2 hours ago, Craigus said:

McNeil has come on for Edinburgh City tonight vs Bonnyrigg in the East of Scotland Cup... I know Thomson is back on our bench, but didn't think we'd be able to loan out Andy again, even to the same club as last loan? 

2 hours ago, pub car king said:

I think keeper loans are different to outfield players 

When he was recalled, it was noted he might return to EC when Thomson was fit again. Keeper loans allow for recall in injury circumstances.

4 hours ago, R12ATH said:

I just dont rate him that much as a full back. Watch during a game, he never stops a cross coming in when one on one with opposition player, which ultimately lead to chances and goals and his defensive positional play is suspect. Two of the most important attributes as a full back.

Only my opinion, entitled to it. Calm down peeps.

And no, i never boo a player or the team.

Looking at our strongest 11 id genuinely say he is our weakest player, in contest with big Kev. 

I don't know what you're smoking but can I have 2 puffs. Name me a fullback that stops every cross or even every other cross coming in. 

2 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Ross Millen our worst player. What do folk watch every Saturday? Can always tell when we’re doing well because this thread becomes eerily quiet in the absence of the usual moaning suspects. 

Out of your starting eleven, if they were fit, he's surely one of the two weakest? It's not Hamilton as your striker, it's not any combination of attacking midfielders, nor the deeper ones you have, I wouldn't say its Watson or Murray, and Dabrowski seems to have done well so it's not him. 

Which leaves Millen and Dick, you could still have a good team but there's always going to be a position you want to improve in, and from the outside the biggest improvements look like they could be made at full back. 

14 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

Out of your starting eleven, if they were fit, he's surely one of the two weakest? It's not Hamilton as your striker, it's not any combination of attacking midfielders, nor the deeper ones you have, I wouldn't say its Watson or Murray, and Dabrowski seems to have done well so it's not him. 

Which leaves Millen and Dick, you could still have a good team but there's always going to be a position you want to improve in, and from the outside the biggest improvements look like they could be made at full back. 

That's a pretty fair assessment, yeah. But for me - and this is being pretty harsh, which I recognise - the gap between Dick and the rest is bigger than the gap between the next lowest (probably Millen) and the best. 

Liam Dick doesn't look out of place. He's solid. He's not throwing goals in every week, and I do think he'd be significantly better as a centre half. But as a full back, his ceiling is Championship playoffs. 

If you parachuted him into the Dundee United best XI, he'd stand out. Very, very quickly I think their fans would be all over him for not contributing enough. I don't think that's true of anyone else in our starting line up. As individuals, they'd all at least hold their own, including Ross Millen. 

6 hours ago, HoBNob said:

I think the basic error in this assessment is you are trying to make each player “fit” a single template for being on of our best.

Regan Hendry, in 19/20, played 22 League matches for the Rovers, and scored one goal (he also had three assists). Yet, would most people not classify him as our “best” player that year? The way you measure a player is not against some static list of achievements or some checklist, but as part of a whole. Millen and Dick are both better defenders than their predecessors, Millen’s crosses are superb, and Dick gets into the back post on a pretty regular basis while doing pretty decent crosses as well.

There is a balance at most positions. Brown can be complained about as not getting forward enough from his defensive midfield position by people who don’t value his contribution to that same defence…Murray and Watson are, shall we say, of a deliberate pace, and there are those that argue we need faster CH’s. Hamilton hasn’t really delivered for us on the offensive end, but has been brilliant when he’s played on defensive set pieces…how does that get valued when you re  judging a striker?

Name the better RB in the Championship…name the better LB…I’m just saying, whom would you take from any other Championship team right now and you can argue that’s our weakest player…just saying.

Edited by TxRover

56 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Name the better RB in the Championship…name the better LB…I’m just saying, whom would you take from any other Championship team right now and you can argue that’s our weakest player…just saying.

Not sure I agree on this, saying a player is your weakest is you comparing him to the rest of your squad, not the league. You're not comparing him to other right backs in the league, you're comparing him to the rest of your starting eleven. And in that respect, from the outside it looks like Dick then Millen. 

That's not to say either are awful, bad or anything, but they're not as strong in there respective positions as the rest of your eleven. 

5 hours ago, HoBNob said:

Not sure I agree on this, saying a player is your weakest is you comparing him to the rest of your squad, not the league. You're not comparing him to other right backs in the league, you're comparing him to the rest of your starting eleven. And in that respect, from the outside it looks like Dick then Millen. 

That's not to say either are awful, bad or anything, but they're not as strong in there respective positions as the rest of your eleven. 

The point is it really isn’t possible to compare a striker to a center-half…not to then say one is the weaker player, unless there is a huge gulf in their performances. And, quite simply, there isn’t a huge gulf between anyone who’s playing regularity.

3 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

A great piece, thank you to the contributors.

Pedant alert!!!

The talk about a bigger pitch is obvious, but a yard or so wider from the centre of the park to the side of the pitch isn't massive, players will cope. If this annoys you, so be it.

The only relevant controversy regarding pitch size I recall was in the Sevco Shame (always) years, when the then Alloa manager reduced the size of the pitch to gain advantage, see picture.

image.png.bfc5ea72cf008c90af643f3dab68872c.png

5 hours ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

Pedant alert!!!

The talk about a bigger pitch is obvious, but a yard or so wider from the centre of the park to the side of the pitch isn't massive, players will cope. If this annoys you, so be it.

The only relevant controversy regarding pitch size I recall was in the Sevco Shame (always) years, when the then Alloa manager reduced the size of the pitch to gain advantage, see picture.

I did wonder about the pitch size and it's a fair point. Can bring it up on Sunday! 

11 hours ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

Pedant alert!!!

Numberwang alert. The figures I see are Stark’s at 113y X 70y (also listed as 103m X 64m) and Hampden 115y X 75y (also listed as 105m X 69m). Converting back and forth suggests Hampden is 1.8m longer and 4.5m wider, so a bit more than a yard to each side.

Assuming the converted metric figures are the closest, that gives us areas of:

Stark’s Park is: 103.3 X 64 = 6,611.2 sq/m

Hampden is: 105.1 X 68.6 = 7,209.9 sq/m

That puts Hampden’s surface as 9% larger than Stark’s Park.

Dick most definetly suffered from not being MacDonald as it made our team lobsided Tumilty was bombing down the right side however progress was a bit more sedate on the left causing frustration. 

I think he is what he is which is a solid experienced defender at this level.