The New Raith Rovers Thread

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, SerieA said:

Chalmers - can and can’t see it plays same position as Connolly and Mullin

Mullin and Chalmers can also play on the left side 

Edited by RRFC_Liam

We were in a fortunate position of knowing what league we'd be in this season allowing us to get our business done swiftly. I'm sure Murray has previously said they've got targets they are looking at and I'm sure Murray can see where any frailties lie and work will start on trying to improve the squad. I really do think though, if we have any ambition of winning the league, that we need players that can a) win us the league first and foremost and b) look capable of making the step up if the time comes. Whilst we've looked good this season, and as fans maybe gotten a bit ahead of ourselves at times, ultimately we've played Hibs, Livi and County at stages of the campaign and lost them all and managed a really good draw over 90 minutes against Killie . If we had done the business yesterday there's a good chunk of the squad that would have toiled. I know we wouldn't have went up and just ran with this seasons squad but you'd imagine trying to find a squad capable of competing at that level would have been a bit of a headache. 

13 hours ago, SerieA said:

Dick must be close to playing the most games/minutes during the season.Been pretty solid and finished the season well. Will depend on what the club think of Hannah’s chances of starting whether he stays or not.

I’d definitely give Corr another contract.

Gutted for Watson, thought we looked a lot better team when he played.

Matthews will get another year.

Not sure on McGill, with Matthews playing that Right Back role at end of the season I think McGill might no longer be the utility man.

Ross will be gone hopefully.

Interesting to see what McNeil wants to do.

Rudden and Brown no thanks.

Byrne and Turner yes please.

Ashcroft wait and see.

I hope we keep Easton.

I think Hannah will go back out on loan give him an new contract and send him if we do sign Stevenson and keep Dick he will be 3rd choice and getting game time will be crucial for him.

apparently corr had an extension clause in his contract which has been triggered, Ross will likely go back to Falkirk, Matthews I reckon will get another 2 years, Byrne aye and turner yes if possible I think cowie might keep him around and Easton I think very much will leave in my opinion and I think he deserves a crack at the top flight 

1 hour ago, Beastie Russell said:

Thought it might have been safe to come on here this morning, but nope still pitch forks are still out.

I’ll come back in another 24 hours, and see if it’s changed any.

You will still get the lynch mob out in force! 🤣 pitch forks at the ready! 🤣

12 hours ago, Michael W said:

You never know, although given we didn't know for sure which league we'd be in until this afternoon, I would be surprised if we have been having advanced negotiations with any players until this point. 

Apparently you had offers out to players prior to the playoffs with parts of it being dependent on what division you were in. 

11 minutes ago, mrraith71 said:

You will still get the lynch mob out in force! 🤣 pitch forks at the ready! 🤣

I don't think that's the case. We need to be realistic and realise we weren't good enough to go up. The only way to improve is for players to leave and wages to be freed up. Our entire defence needs overhauled. We have no rightback signed and playing midfielders there is not the answer. Watson I hate saying it is at the end of his career, far to injury prone and likely on decent money. Dick is okay but again yesterday the first goal came from his side. The boy delivering the cross had all the time to pick out his cross. For a start, Stevenson, Strapp and McMann are all available and better.

Corr isn't ready and if we could put him out on loan then fine, but why keep a player that may not see 1st team football at SP until January. Murray I would keep as one of 4 CHs but not necessarily a first choice. 

7 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

Apparently you had offers out to players prior to the playoffs with parts of it being dependent on what division you were in. 

That's a new one.

14 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

No idea how well that would come over to players. Hey player A, if we stay in the Championship we want you, but you're not good enough for the top league, sorry. I think my reaction would be to say jog on and go elsewhere if I were offered that.

For instance IF the Rumours and that’s all they’re for now  are true that Fordyce, Stevenson and Chalmers have signed on pre contracts, then you’ve got a 1st Choice LB who is better at this age than our current one, Fordyce even though not better than Watson but will be a lot more reliable availability wise and Chalmers can play either side on the wings and that left side could be freed up so its there for the taken.  

Didn’t bother viewing P&B yesterday after half time.

Enjoyed this season..been fun home and away. We were good but not quite good enough and Dundee Utd did give us an opportunity in December to go 10 points + clear if results had went differently.

Should be a great Championship next season though…tighter than ever I predict however one we can win if we get the recruitment right.

For me as follows -

Ian Murray stays - needed.

Stevenson will be announced imminently.

Replacement for Easton, 90% sure he’s away. 

Corr to stay but he can’t be a first choice CB. Great prospect but that’s what he is that age.

Would like Ashcroft. That would give us him plus Corr, Murray and Watson if all retained but I don’t see it..maybe Fordyce to replace Watson.

We need to figure out what we’re doing up top. Really like Hamilton but he’s not had a good season and I’ve a feeling Murray wants to replace him. Picking Rudden regularly over him would suggest that.

Will be a very interesting summer with ins and outs which will go a long way to telling the supporters if we indeed are going for it. If we stand we’ll go backwards with how competitive I feel it’ll be 

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

Wouldn't surprise me, would have been utterly stupid for us to just be sitting on our hands doing nothing while all the rest of the clubs are speaking to players.  You'll have players who we wouldn't have been able to afford unless we went up*, and you'll have players who were interested in signing for us but don't want to play Championship football, the likes of Hanlon can still do a job in the Premiership so might have been happy to sign if we'd gone up but no interest if we were still in the Championship.

* Dependent on Pie sales of course.

Edited by SanStarko

2 hours ago, SerieA said:

Sums up the state of some of our supporters these days.

The young lad at the end (no caring what age he is) is no supporter of the club and should never step foot in a football ground again.Neither should his parents. And if the actions of the ‘Singing Section’ were like the end of the game yesterday our seats were not ‘accidentally broken’. Rather have a few less supporters than that lot at games.

Agree with this. Also saw another smoke bomb thrown by them that hit a fellow Rovers fan on the back a few rows down - not the first time this has happened this season. They stood blocking the stairway for the entire game and a drunk old guy started challenging one of the wee morons to a fight.

But, hey, they “did us proud” 🙄

15 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

No idea how well that would come over to players. Hey player A, if we stay in the Championship we want you, but you're not good enough for the top league, sorry. I think my reaction would be to say jog on and go elsewhere if I were offered that.

I've no proof but I'd imagine it would probably be more like "we definitely want to sign you....here's 2 contracts, one if we get promoted one for the championship"

5 minutes ago, SerieA said:

Interesting tweet for Byrne.

I think it suggests that nothing has been done/discussed yet as Murray did say and I think Barrowman as well came out and said as well other contract talks won’t be taking place until after the playoffs as they don’t want any distractions and 100% concentration on them, plus add in the fact we didn’t know what league to be in but surely Byrne would be top of the list to keep 

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

I think it suggests that nothing has been done/discussed yet as Murray did say and I think Barrowman as well came out and said as well other contract talks won’t be taking place until after the playoffs as they don’t want any distractions and 100% concentration on them, plus add in the fact we didn’t know what league to be in but surely Byrne would be top of the list to keep 

Byrne pretty much knew in January he was surplus to requirements at Dundee. I would’ve hoped we’d have tried to sort a deal out with him no matter what league we were in

Edited by SerieA

6 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

I'm sure John Potter has been busy in the background lining up players. 

We as the fans have known what we needed so I'm fairly certain the management are ahead of us. 

5 minutes ago, da_no_1 said:

I've no proof but I'd imagine it would probably be more like "we definitely want to sign you....here's 2 contracts, one if we get promoted one for the championship"

Aye, exactly. It'll be "Here's the basic wage we'll offer you. If we're in the Premiership, your bonuses will be [£x] per appearance/per win/for staying up. If we're in the Championship, your bonuses will be [£y] per appearance/per win/for a playoff finish/for a title win." 

For someone like a Lewis Stevenson, who you'd be happy with in either division, you're giving him the information he needs to start thinking about the decision he needs to make. 

For existing players, I imagine you're trading on goodwill to a certain extent, and that they're not going to go off and sign with someone else until they've at least heard your offer after the final game.

And obviously if there was someone who you wanted, but only for the Championship, you'd have to just hold off and hope nobody got in with a concrete offer before the end of the playoffs. 

I know it’s easy to get caught up in signings and think that they are all going to be great for us but if the rumours are true and Lewis Stevenson and Logan Chalmers are on PCA then we are upgrading our starting 11 straight away. Stevenson as we know brings a wealth of experience and Chalmers performance at Starks this season was arguably  the best individual performance that I seen from an opposing player at Starks this season. 

If we can sort another CB, RB and someone clinical up top to take the pressure off of Vaughan then we are in a great position for next season. 

1 hour ago, CountryBumpkin said:

I don't know the inner workings in the slightest, but I took from it that players had been offered contracts, the details of which would differ depending on what division you were in which seemed sensible.