The New Raith Rovers Thread

46 minutes ago, philpy said:

Cheers to B&M in Prestonpans for curing the withdrawal symptoms 😂

20240604_185911.jpg

Will the Rovers declare this purchase on the balance sheet? 🤷‍♂️🤣

21 minutes ago, mrpaddyx said:

No real surprises from the released list. The Shaun Byrne one is interesting though as it says he has returned to Dundee but they already said he has been released. This could be a good sign though….

IMG_1737.jpeg

I would imagine it’s more a formality thing with announcing a player is returning. We done the same with Ethan Ross in full knowledge he would be being released from you guys.

Heard the same story about Arnott and if true he won't (rightly) be playing anywhere next season. 

Unless Getafe take him on loan.

As has been said, no surprises. Would keep all the players we are in discussion with as squad players. Most importantly, I don't think any of the players we have released will necessarily improve any of our rivals. I'd have kept McGill but I imagine himself and Millen will find themselves at mid-lower table sides. Neither would be starters for teams with aspirations of going up imo. Similarly, I don't think Ross is consistent enough to be a Championship level starter but wouldn't be shocked if Falkirk pick him up.

Of the loan players, I'd take Byrne and Turner as definites. Byrne will have plenty of suitors though and Turner remains under contract. If Ashcroft could prove his fitness, I wouldn't be adverse to bringing him back as I imagine that he is surplus to requirements at Dundee.

A nice position to be in this summer with so few signed up, can rebuild from a very strong position already having been the 'best of the rest' last season.

21 minutes ago, #Gary said:

Heard the same story about Arnott and if true he won't (rightly) be playing anywhere next season. 

I thought it was Tait the story was about. 🤔 

Much like others have said, I'm happy with that. 

Ross Matthews feels like an absolute no brainer for a contract extension. Dick will offer experience at left back, and cover at centre half if necessary.  Corr is raw but has shown that he's got a bit of tenacity about him. I think everyone expected him to be heading for the exit until the last few weeks of the season. I'd also add that if Corr did decide to go, we'd get a development fee set from a tribunal given that we'd offered him terms and he's under 23. It makes sense to offer terms to Andy McNeil as a back up too. Thomson retiring should help reduce the wages on that front, and McNeil is an able deputy. 

On the released front, you could tell from Arbroath away on that Watson wasn't going to be continuing on. It's a shame for the guy as he seems like an infectious personality to have about a dressing room but we can't afford to go another season where we're using a centre midfielder at centre half for the majority of the games. 

Scott McGill is the epitome of 'jack of all trades, master of none' - the lad has played all over the pitch this season in a limited capacity. I don't think he even knows his best position, but I really hope he can get a club where he gets a run of games. There's definite potential there. 

Adam Masson is one where he really needs to get out and play. It won't do anyone any favours to have him on the books doing nothing. I'm sure he'll be able to find another club at a decent level - he has the physical attributes to be able to do well. He didn't shame himself when he got forced into playing right back at Ibrox against Ryan Kent. 

Completely unsurprised Ethan Ross has just been announced at Falkirk. Simply never lived up to the promise he'd shown before. A lot of injuries, a lot of frustration, and one of the higher wages on an escalating contract now off the books. He might well come back to haunt us next season, but I'm comfortable that we're in a better place without him.  

Last but by no means least, Ross Millen. I'd always wanted Millen to do well since the moment he signed given the reaction from some of our support. That was compounded when he gave away a silly penalty against Caley and people got it in their heads that he was an awful player. I don't think I'd ever make him out to be more than a competent Championship right back. But he's an absolute riot to have in your squad. When we played Motherwell in the cup last season, he absolutely bombed it half way down the pitch when Ismael Goncalves scored to pretty much jump into our fans. He'll always go down in folklore for the panenka at Hampden. It's a shame how it ended, but I'm sure he'll get a club no problem. He could've gone full Ali Adams and been on socials posting shite about the club, but he's handled it quietly. 

27 minutes ago, #Gary said:

What's he meant to have done? A sexual offence can mean a bunch of different things....granted I'm not massively experienced in the old sexual offence department.

11 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Completely unsurprised Ethan Ross has just been announced at Falkirk. Simply never lived up to the promise he'd shown before. A lot of injuries, a lot of frustration, and one of the higher wages on an escalating contract now off the books. He might well come back to haunt us next season, but I'm comfortable that we're in a better place without him.

Always looked like a player was in there but only showed it in fits and starts and hasn’t fulfilled his potential. He rejected a contract with Aberdeen and was training with English Championship sides the summer before he came back to us. Decent signing for Falkirk though and should help them stay up.

13 minutes ago, ohnononowheredidRossgo said:

What's he meant to have done? A sexual offence can mean a bunch of different things....granted I'm not massively experienced in the old sexual offence department.

The plane was diverted due to a medical emergency and a passenger was arrested on suspicion of sexual assault. The two things are related. 

If you go back a page and click on the tweet with the Edinburgh Live article, the depressing QT and conversation beneath it fills in the blanks. 

14 minutes ago, ohnononowheredidRossgo said:

Think he just joined a bigger club

1 hour ago, gav-ffc said:

I would imagine it’s more a formality thing with announcing a player is returning. We done the same with Ethan Ross in full knowledge he would be being released from you guys.

Aye you’re probably right , just below it there was a Livi repost. 

Are you guys keeping Ethan Ross ? He was brilliant in flashes for us but just not consistent in the Championship.

Posted (edited)

I was absolutely delighted when we signed Ross, but he didn't live up to his early promise, or ultimately, the fucking fortune it apparently cost to bring him in.

Correct move for all parties I think.

Edited by CALDERON

19 minutes ago, mrpaddyx said:

Aye you’re probably right , just below it there was a Livi repost. 

Are you guys keeping Ethan Ross ? He was brilliant in flashes for us but just not consistent in the Championship.

Ross has been released