The New Raith Rovers Thread

31 minutes ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

Yep and they’ve still got a couple of key players not confirmed signed on as yet.

Transformative jump in income for them last season with finishing 4th and the cup win. Either they’re not matching wages or players are just up for going. A wee feeling that last season was as good as it gets for them. Same mindset could be levelled at us with how competitive it’s going to be this year however, only lost out on Turner so far..

Has it ever been confirmed we were even in for him?

5 minutes ago, AllanJM said:

Has it ever been confirmed we were even in for him?

Not fully, however I took the comments that ‘one or two clubs are outbidding us’ as Partick offered more to Turner. He’s the only signing by another club so far that we’d likely to have been in for.

Murray started playing him weekly at the end of the season and his performances kept improving. Would flip it the other way and say it’d be bizarre if we weren’t in for him as he’s a top end Championship player. That said it’s not a priority position we need filled to be fair.

Really feel our squad lacks pace. Mullin, Connolly, Easton etc that isn’t their game.  Any young Didier Agathes about ?

3 minutes ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

I took the comments that ‘one or two clubs are outbidding us’ as Partick offered more to Turner.

I took those comments as being about Byrne but never know, might have been about Turner as well. 

17 minutes ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

Not fully, however I took the comments that ‘one or two clubs are outbidding us’ as Partick offered more to Turner. He’s the only signing by another club so far that we’d likely to have been in for.

Murray started playing him weekly at the end of the season and his performances kept improving. Would flip it the other way and say it’d be bizarre if we weren’t in for him as he’s a top end Championship player. That said it’s not a priority position we need filled to be fair.

Really feel our squad lacks pace. Mullin, Connolly, Easton etc that isn’t their game.  Any young Didier Agathes about ?

I don't think we are a slow team, but would agree we are quite one paced, there is no real burn down speed in the side, no one who can really stretch a game, and would hope that's something Murray and Potter are looking at. 

3 hours ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

Would be good to get a season ticket update and a signing or two this week.

Not that it means too much at this stage but Livi, Partick and Ayr have been active so far in the market. 
At this stage Morton and Airdries squad is poorer to last term at the moment and nowt happening with the Pars too.

Be interesting as a few clubs at this level are fishing in the same pond for players. 

Raiding Morten for Strapp and Quitongo, according to their page. Exciting!

2 minutes ago, Double Jack D said:

Pretty uninspiring for the Townies.. Strapp is a downgrade on Edwards and Quitongo is much a mucho for Jakubiak.

Quoting a pretty unsavoury character too, isn’t he?

38 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:

Strapp heading for a team in Finland according to the Record.

55 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:

FWIW Quitongo can be an utter nuisance and get himself about the pitch. Injury crock and honking goal return though.

Not seen that much of Strapp to be honest (again injury prone) but he’s rated by a few and still young. Looks a sensible and decent replacement for Edward’s to be fair albeit a downgrade.

That will be arguably Morton’s 5 best players gone! You’d imagine Imrie will want to go as their squads going from bad to worse. Hopefully Broadfoot plays when we face them, he was done 4 years ago.

Currently signed we average about 27.3 y-o…or 28.6’ish without Kai and Callum H counted. Just five players of sixteen with ages below 28. Experience is good, but I’d like a little bit more youth, especially if we’re going to ever get a reserve team off the ground…which suggests to me that project is shelved again. Perhaps the outright release of Mitchell was an indicator of the way the Reserve idea was headed, but allowing Masson and Arnold to go was a confirmation. It’s a shame, as it would provide a place for players to get time (see McNeil, for example) without requiring a loan and it’s entanglements.

8 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Currently signed we average about 27.3 y-o…or 28.6’ish without Kai and Callum H counted. Just five players of sixteen with ages below 28. Experience is good, but I’d like a little bit more youth, especially if we’re going to ever get a reserve team off the ground…which suggests to me that project is shelved again. Perhaps the outright release of Mitchell was an indicator of the way the Reserve idea was headed, but allowing Masson and Arnold to go was a confirmation. It’s a shame, as it would provide a place for players to get time (see McNeil, for example) without requiring a loan and it’s entanglements.

Disagree with that. They're both at an age where if they're good enough, then they'd have made it. We can't afford to be under any illusions or offering lads contracts for a reserve team we won't have in place. It doesn't do anyone any favours to keep lads like that on. The reserve team will come with time, but it'll be down in the list of priorities. 

1 minute ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Disagree with that. They're both at an age where if they're good enough, then they'd have made it. We can't afford to be under any illusions or offering lads contracts for a reserve team we won't have in place. It doesn't do anyone any favours to keep lads like that on. The reserve team will come with time, but it'll be down in the list of priorities. 

That’s where I’m not convinced on that argument. A reserve team cannot be made entirely of first team capable players without being a budgetary nightmare. You need some inexpensive filler, particularity young filler that has development potential. Yes, Adam and Kieran will benefit from playing consistently at a lower level, but they would also have been a very useful (and inexpensive) starting point for a Reserve side. It would have given them playing time against some very good professionals…AND had them playing at various times with Stanton, Watson and the like, not a bad experience,

11 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

What this guy said. If we sign someone at 16/17/18 they've really got a 2 year contract to prove they are ready for top end Scottish football or we should let them leave and perhaps they flourish elsewhere. It's Scottish football and it's all short(ish) term deals I personally think the idea of developing players and selling them on via academies is a thing of the past.