The New Raith Rovers Thread

20 minutes ago, RRFC1989 said:

Not seen Vaughan in any videos or photos this week. Don’t know if he’s injured or been given an extra week rest given the amount of games he played last season and his injury record.

Been doing gym work as I understand it. Probably has his own tailored regime these days. Commentary mentioned he was at the game, sitting behind the Raith TV guys. 

1 hour ago, CountryBumpkin said:

Got to assume that all of the trialists there are our new lads with no actual trialists there too. 

Edit: No, we've made 7 signings and there are 8 listed. D'oh.

They are listed as Trialists because of the July 1 contract starts…see also, #21 - Trialist E aka Shaun Byrne.

53 minutes ago, grumswall said:

Not watching the game but quite interested to see how Gibson looks. Anyone know if there will be highlights of this game? 

Gibson looked lively. He was linking up well with Lewis Stevenson until Murray switched the wingers. 

Overall I'm fine with that. A good opportunity to get lads some match time, particularly those where the season ended far earlier than the playoffs. Big Kev made some excellent saves and we had a few opportunities. There wasn't much in the way of chances created, but I don't believe we're finished our business and will have at least one or two bodies to add. 

7 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Gibson looked lively. He was linking up well with Lewis Stevenson until Murray switched the wingers. 

Overall I'm fine with that. A good opportunity to get lads some match time, particularly those where the season ended far earlier than the playoffs. Big Kev made some excellent saves and we had a few opportunities. There wasn't much in the way of chances created, but I don't believe we're finished our business and will have at least one or two bodies to add. 

It's a pre season game 5 days into training. Can't imagine there is much you can take from that kick around either way.

Not sure we'll add much else. I think we are short a striker but that's not an easy thing to add. 

Edited by renton

What you’d expect from the first preseason game after only a week of training.  Missing a wee bit of sharpness and the new players getting used to how we play.  Like others have said, Hanlon and Stevenson look a level above everybody else, which you’d kinda expect.  

And no disrespect to Keith Watson, but when you watch Hanlon, Stevenson and Fordyce run, none of them look like they’re about to fall apart which was unfortunately what Watson looked like.

8 minutes ago, renton said:

It's a pre season game 5 days into training. Can't imagine there is much you can take from that kick around either way.

Not sure we'll add much else. I think we are short a striker but that's not an easy thing to add. 

Fully agree. The lads who were here last season had a 4 week break.

With that said, some of the shouts in the stand were incredible. Connolly and Hamilton were on the receiving end of some rather daft comments from a couple of people. 

8 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:

Have to say, and before I say it, I know it was 1st game and no real test etc, but Stevenson and Hanlon looked superb.

Just now, SanStarko said:

What you’d expect from the first preseason game after only a week of training.  Missing a wee bit of sharpness and the new players getting used to how we play.  Like others have said, Hanlon and Stevenson look a level above everybody else, which you’d kinda expect.  

And no disrespect to Keith Watson, but when you watch Hanlon, Stevenson and Fordyce run, none of them look like they’re about to fall apart which was unfortunately what Watson looked like.

Aye, definitely. Hanlon looked calm and composed on the ball. Fordyce was no nonsense. Stevenson was constantly trying to get on the overlap. Even his first ball in the box was done based on instinct and showed the level he can bring. 

Second half today was decent enough. Hanlon and Stevenson look quality additions to the squad, as does Lewis Gibson.

No involvement from Vaughan but I saw him outside signing autographs. No sign of Stanton. Agree with the comments that we look another decent striker light of a really good squad.

Edited by Scary Bear

Typical pre season game.

Usual big save from Kev.Think he’ll need to be better with ball at feet with this team/squad.Distributing early to defenders.

Fordyce was good. Him n Hanlon looked good together and both can play out from back.

Stevenson will be massive for us this season. Playing pretty advanced and can see him combining well with Easton down left.

Freeman looks energetic down the right.

Gibson quick but pitch didn’t help him at times.

Not much to report with Montagu being a late sub.

Murray will say good workout. We’ll be saying what about the goals. Missing Vaughan and Stanton today so missing potential goals from them. Hamilton needs to step up a bit more for me.

Fordyce looks comfortable either side, good at organising his defence too. Murray looked pretty comfortable on the right side. Hanlon looks class, will be really interesting to see who lines up for the first league game at the back, assuming everyone is fit.

Stevenson looked excellent, drifting inside as well as being able to go down the line will help to switch up our play. To be fair, Matthews did a bit of that in the first half too. Easton and Mullin looked lively. Brown was his usual self of course. 

Initial thoughts for me are Fordyce is going to be a good signing, talks throughout, happy on the ball and clears his lines well. Stevenson was surprisingly quick and looks to get forward. Hanlon strolled it. Gibson was very lively on.

Hamilton doesn't hold the ball up. We missed Vaughan and Stanton and we are still for me a couple of players short. A striker and I still would like to see better presence in the middle of the park.