The New Raith Rovers Thread

Ian Murray details ‘mantra’ allowing Raith Rovers to beat financial ‘big-hitters’ to signings

The Stark's Park boss admits he was 'surprised' to land Paul Hanlon given money on offer elsewhere.

Raith Rovers manager Ian Murray during a pre-season training session.
Raith Rovers manager Ian Murray. Image: Paul Devlin / SNS Group.
85e9040e89d0373f7d50aaaab461fa41?s=64&d=by Iain Collin
July 2 2024, 4:15pm

Ian Murray has revealed the ‘mantra’ he says is allowing Raith Rovers to beat ‘big-spending’ Championship rivals to signings this summer.

The Stark’s Park boss has confessed he feared losing out on Paul Hanlon after discovering what the freed Hibernian stalwart was being offered by competitors for his signature.

Hanlon has said he knocked back offers from the Premiership, second tier and abroad to join Raith.

Likewise, Shaun Byrne has admitted he turned down more money elsewhere to sign on permanently in Kirkcaldy after last season’s loan from Dundee.

New signing Paul Hanlon in training with Raith Rovers.
Paul Hanlon is a ‘marquee’ signing for Raith Rovers this summer. Image: Paul Devlin / SNS Group.

In both cases, the persistence of Raith’s pursuit – led by technical director John Potter – paid off.

And, with the likes of Partick Thistle and Ayr United seemingly ‘splashing the cash’ in the transfer market, Murray is adamant Rovers’ success has come despite being outgunned in monetary terms.

“We have to be very clear again,” he told Courier Sport. “We’ve had a fantastic transfer window again so far, we’re not going to deny that.

“But we’re most certainly not the big hitters in the league, that’s for sure, in terms of what other teams are offering, seemingly, to other players.

“We try to build it around the atmosphere, the environment, the potential, the support we’re getting from the supporters and the facilities we’re trying to create.

‘We don’t have pots of gold’

“That’s alway our mantra.

“I keep saying it and people don’t agree with it, but we don’t have pots of gold, we really don’t.

“These boys aren’t here for the money, that’s for sure.”

Potter’s role in the recruitment process is one that is repeatedly mentioned by new signings.

And it is one that Murray has been happy to pass on since last summer’s takeover sparked a revamp of the football department.

Shaun Byrne in training with Raith Rovers.
Shaun Byrne (right) has admitted to turning down more money on offer elsewhere to sign for Raith Rovers. Image: Paul Devlin / SNS Group.

The manager is still very much at the heart of the conversations over targets. But the leg-work is often completed by Potter, who Hanlon said had been on the phone nightly during their discussions

“John has done a fantastic job in selling the place, and he doesn’t lose too many battles in these situations, which is great,” added Murray.

“That’s John’s job and it’s not an easy one, or a particularly enjoyable one at times, because you’re on at players all the time.

“There’s kind of a chain. I’ll text Pottsy asking what’s going on and he’ll get back to me and it ping-pongs between me and him, and then finally we’ll get an answer.

“With Paul in particular, we had a lot of conversations with him. It got to the stage where I knew what other teams were offering him – and they were outgunning us pretty substantially.

‘One battle we might have lost’

“So, I was a little bit surprised we got him. I was on holiday when I got the call from Pottsy to tell me Paul had agreed.

“I was delighted, because I genuinely thought it might be one battle we might have lost.

“Longevity is the thinking, really. Paul, Lewis [Stevenson] and guys like Shaun Byrne are not stupid guys, they understand they’ve got young families and sometimes location is also important to players in terms of their home life.

“Sometimes more money doesn’t always win. Most of the time it does, but not always.

“So, I’m delighted with guys like Shaun, who was offered a lot more money elsewhere but decided that wasn’t the driving factor in his next move.”

To be fair, Murray isn't quoted saying it's Ayr and Thistle but it's definitely implied.  

He can only go on what players are telling him they were offered by other clubs.  Would plyers exaggerate a wee bit to try to get more from us?  Potentially.

Ultimately, I think when he says we aren't the big hitters it doesn't mean that we can't compete with the other teams financially.  We're just not willing to jeopardise the future of the club by paying too much.....like we did under McGlynn.

5 minutes ago, AllanJM said:

To be fair, Murray isn't quoted saying it's Ayr and Thistle but it's definitely implied.  

He can only go on what players are telling him they were offered by other clubs.  Would plyers exaggerate a wee bit to try to get more from us?  Potentially.

Ultimately, I think when he says we aren't the big hitters it doesn't mean that we can't compete with the other teams financially.  We're just not willing to jeopardise the future of the club by paying too much.....like we did under McGlynn.

Pretty sure most people do that when they're being offered a new job. We're offering you x, you rebute with "my current company have offered x+y to keep me here, if you match that i'll go" is pretty standard. 

30 minutes ago, AllanJM said:

Giving 3 year deals could be giving there age though 

4 minutes ago, United1973 said:

Giving 3 year deals could be giving there age though 

Hanlon strikes me as a professional enough guy to be the one to say he's no longer cutting it and be proactive about it, similar to Berra a few years back. If it were to happen. In saying that, its not like he's some jobber that has been plodding around these last few years, hes been at the top level (well, the Hibs equivalent of that) and seems to be someone who takes it seriously. I'd be surprised if he drops off enough to stand out. 

Hanlon has played at the same club for years. He is at an age where he probably has a family that will be settled has a home and kids in school etc. 

Is the extra commute, moving house, uprooting your family etc really worth it for a bit extra cash? 

Plus we dished out a 3 year deal would anyone else have offered that? 

Just seen that Stirling Albion's friendly against QOS this Saturday has been switched to Palmerston Park due to the state of their pitch.  Bloody grass pitches eh!!!!!

Apparently, Active Stirling have assured them it will be ready for our game on the 13th.

At least tonights game doesnt clash with a Euro match.  I mean if it did, the attendees at Links Park would miss out on the pre match and half time analysis of what Harry Kane had for his breakfast/what Jude Bellinghams favourite smell sounds like..  Canny have that!  Important news that will make you sleep better at night!  More important than your own clubs pre season of course (and obviously more important than the two teams actually playing said Euro match)!

Glad Rovers and Montrose have seen sense.  

Edited by Heid_The_Baw

Just now, mealsonwheels said:

Hey guys

Is there any change showing on the main stand as of yet? Have they started cladding the exterior walls?

Yeah they appear to have put the brackets up along the front of the stand. I assume the actual cladding panels will fit onto them