The New Raith Rovers Thread

I may be wrong here but I feel we've used the league Cup as a warm up. We have played within ourselves for most of it and haven't really hit cruising speed yet. 

It will be harder than last season there's no clear favourite to win it and no obvious relegation candidates yet. The teams are all closer than they have been in terms of players. 

If we are to succeed it's going to be a lot of 1-0 solid defensive wins which is in issue seeing as our best CB hasn't kicked a ball yet and neither has our best forward. 

To say we will finish outside the play offs is a bold claim. 

Well, if we are summarising the last few pages we can say that:

1. We have no physicality.

2  we have no pace.

3. Our main striker has no confidence.

4. Our main defensive addition is giving off perma crock vibes.

5. Everyone else has us figured out.

Did I miss anything? 

2 minutes ago, renton said:

2  we have no pace.

Did I miss anything? 

We're not as shite as Dunfermline

29 minutes ago, renton said:

2  we have no pace.

Did I miss anything? 

I love coming in here it’s a rare laugh. 

We've improved on our biggest weakness last season, where we finished comfortably second and pushed utd for the majority of the season. The league does look more competitive but we've also improved the squad. To suggest we're not going to finish in the playoffs at this stage based in that, seems a bit extreme to me. We do lack 2/3 players in certain areas imo but they are areas we do have a decent enough level of player for already, bar one imo. 

11 minutes ago, grumswall said:

We've improved on our biggest weakness last season, where we finished comfortably second and pushed utd for the majority of the season. The league does look more competitive but we've also improved the squad. To suggest we're not going to finish in the playoffs at this stage based in that, seems a bit extreme to me. We do lack 2/3 players in certain areas imo but they are areas we do have a decent enough level of player for already, bar one imo. 

This is pretty much where I am with us at the moment.  I agree with those who say we are unlikely to win as many games with late goals as we did last season.  However, with a more solid defence, we shouldn't concede the goals that meant we needed those late winners.  I'm also confident we won't blow as many 2-goal leads as we did last season.

1 hour ago, renton said:

2  we have no pace.

Did I miss anything? 

6. Bookies favourite for the title!

Fucking Ladbrokes are offering us at 3-1 for the title which is just ridiculous so potentially a lot of money has gone on us by lazy enters looking at last year's table. 

1 hour ago, AllanJM said:

This is pretty much where I am with us at the moment.  I agree with those who say we are unlikely to win as many games with late goals as we did last season.  However, with a more solid defence, we shouldn't concede the goals that meant we needed those late winners.  I'm also confident we won't blow as many 2-goal leads as we did last season.

Cos we'll never have any to blow. Amirite?

5 hours ago, AllanJM said:

It's actually incredible just how quickly the mood among the fans has turned really negative after a "meh" league cup campaign.  Listening to the Terrace Podcast there and @McGuigan1978 even convinced Craig Telfer to change his prediction to have us finishing outside the playoffs.  This isn't a dig at you btw Shaughan as I totally get where you were coming from.  I disagree with you, and I am confident we'll be challenging for the title, but I understand your reasons for believing we won't be.

It's been a while since there was anything really positive coming out from the club on social media and it really demonstrates that we're only ever a couple of weeks away from doom and gloom.  Given what we've had to suffer as a fanbase over the last 20 years it's understandable but, for me, it really does feel different now.

I also appreciate that P&B and Twitter doesn't necessarily reflect the whole support, but the booing at HT on Saturday would suggest the negativity isn't limited to a few.

I think (hope!) I was describing a worst case scenario, and it's heavily caveated that Livingston doing well is probably dependent on the guys that have been around for a while still being interested in what David Martindale is telling them, or Airdrie still having Rhys McCabe and Mason Hancock sticking around for example. 

I do think we're incrementally better, due to the signings of Lewis Stevenson and Paul Hanlon, but my first thought of Kieran Freeman is that he'll be the third player we've used at right back since Ross Millen left and none have been an upgrade, although fingers crossed Freeman proves me wrong there. 

In addition, as much as I didn't think there was a need for us to try and keep Kyle Turner, him not sticking probably does weaken us, while simultaneously making one of our main rivals better. 

I just have a nagging doubt that improving the left and central defensive options, while failing to improve on the right and appearing weaker in options for the middle of the park, won't be enough this time around. 

That said, I'd be very surprised if we don't bring in a body or two before the window closes, so all those finger in the air predictions will be even more meaningless in a few weeks!

Half your issues vanish if Murray has faith in Lewis Gibson.

Huge talent.

27 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

but my first thought of Kieran Freeman is that he'll be the third player we've used at right back since Ross Millen left and none have been an upgrade, although fingers crossed Freeman proves me wrong there. 

Sorry for picking on your comment specifically but i'm really intrigued as to what Freeman has actually done wrong that's caused numerous posters to complain about him? I've been to games V's East Fife, Inverness, Stirling ,Stranraer and Hamilton so far and haven't seen what others obviously have to cause such a fuss.  

Edited by Toddy

Bunch of folk going to look like a right set of plums when we hammer Airdrie on Saturday and win the league by 30 points.

Joking aside we need to get Hanlon and Vaughan fit. I said it before and I'll say it again, we are going to be more business like this season which will lead to moans about how free flowing we'll look IMO.

6 minutes ago, Toddy said:

Sorry for picking on your comment specifically but i'm really intrigued as to what Freeman has actually done wrong that's caused numerous posters to complain about him? I've been to games V's East Fife, Inverness, Stirling ,Stranraer and Hamilton so far and haven't seen what others obviously have to cause such a fuss.  

I think it is because he is not Megwa Toddy.  Simple as that.

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Half your issues vanish if Murray has faith in Lewis Gibson.

Huge talent.

Potentially agree with this. 

4 minutes ago, Toddy said:

I don't rate Freeman too highly so far but I do think he's an upgrade on Millen defensively, albeit not by much. He's too safe in his general play which ultimately slows us down. He's two footed which is normally a good thing but it seems like he uses the wrong one to play the pass with in certain situations, which affects our forward momentum. I never rated Millen highly and all he really had was a good cross from deep imo. For us to play with a holding midfielder we need both fullbacks to push on and allow the back 4 to become a back 3, with the midfielder slotting in. Stevenson will get forward either down the line or drift in, Freeman needs to learn from him in doing the same and we could be on to something with him. If he doesn't then we're not improved at rb from having Matthews play there who is probably more likely to get forward and put a ball in the box imo. 

6 minutes ago, Arthur Reid McDermott said:

I think it is because he is not Megwa Toddy.  Simple as that.

I'd have liked Megwa too but he's been in the first team of Hibs pre season and we can't wait for him to come available. I just haven't seen what others have to cause him to be singled out.