The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 hour ago, McGuigan1978 said:

I suppose he might have been 100% keen on this arrangement, but even if he wasn’t, I doubt he’d have said anything other than the fact he was fine with it. 

Yeah, true. Purely taking what he said at face value.

1 minute ago, ohnononowheredidRossgo said:

When does John Potter's role come under performance scrutiny? If Murray has lost his job based on performance when does the buck stop with Potter?

I’ve been thinking about this, and if John Potter is in charge of squad assembly, he’s probably doing okay? 

I’m not sure I’m entirely on board with ancient players being given never ending contracts, but regardless, this feels like a decent Championship squad, and Ian Murray’s replacement should be getting good results out of it

1 minute ago, McGuigan1978 said:

I’ve been thinking about this, and if John Potter is in charge of squad assembly, he’s probably doing okay? 

I’m not sure I’m entirely on board with ancient players being given never ending contracts, but regardless, this feels like a decent Championship squad, and Ian Murray’s replacement should be getting good results out of it

I don't necessarily disgree. What gets me or has been rankling me is that Potter is in charge of squad assembly and is by my understanding on the training pitch and being an extra pair of eyes. But presumably was involved in conversations on Sat night and at the end of the season clearly playing a part in having Ian Murray removed.

I'm just not sure you can be inside the tent but then also outside the tent pissing in it when it suits you.

1 minute ago, ohnononowheredidRossgo said:

I don't necessarily disgree. What gets me or has been rankling me is that Potter is in charge of squad assembly and is by my understanding on the training pitch and being an extra pair of eyes. But presumably was involved in conversations on Sat night and at the end of the season clearly playing a part in having Ian Murray removed.

I'm just not sure you can be inside the tent but then also outside the tent pissing in it when it suits you.

Not sure how much Potter was involved he was at the Odeon on Saturday night. 

Just now, ohnononowheredidRossgo said:

Was this.not mentioned as a potential conflict of interests when Potter was appointed in that role,  it always seemed a way to shoehorn Potter in if Murray screwed up,    Airdrie had the same issue when DOF at the time Iain King (w**k) brought in his mate EWB to oversee and help Gary Bollan who was doing a reasonable job keeping Airdrie in League 1 at that time (it was a struggle). Bollan was always a dead man walking after this and with King and EWB stating not playing football the right way and all that pish, Bollan was canned and surprise surprise EWB was appointed Airdrie manager who was a total disaster.,

A few similarities here...

I’ve often found Potter’s role to be a bit strange. He’s on the training pitch which is fine if he’s following Murray’s instructions but it’s weird that he’s then in the stands on a Saturday, barking out instructions to the players. Surely that runs the risk of mixed messages? Also if Murray wasn’t happy with his squad and thought we were light in areas or lacking certain attributes, surely that’s on Potter’s lap?

1 hour ago, Been going too long said:

I know it’s not an exact science , but the question is do you think brown is a good appointment for ayr , maybe this is the route the board will go down , not saying I want it but there is no obvious candidate and I don’t think Murray would have gotten us up but it’s only an opinion 

I have no idea if he is or not. Time will tell I suppose. Not sure what relevance it would be to Thomson’s ability as a manager though. Completely different types of footballer and very different characters.

Not having a go at you as we are all entitled to an opinion. I just see nothing in Thomson’s very short managerial record that justifies him being touted for every job going. Just seems typical of the Scottish football media that they always tip their mates to get jobs.

I'd put Thomson, Hughes, Ferguson and  Potter firmly in the Locke category, half a step up from Anelka.

A lot of people suggesting we are an attractive club position wise which is true but will there still be money to bring player in if we are paying off IM?

Has Neil Warnock been touted yet?

23 minutes ago, AllanJM said:

I have no idea if he is or not. Time will tell I suppose. Not sure what relevance it would be to Thomson’s ability as a manager though. Completely different types of footballer and very different characters.

Not having a go at you as we are all entitled to an opinion. I just see nothing in Thomson’s very short managerial record that justifies him being touted for every job going. Just seems typical of the Scottish football media that they always tip their mates to get jobs.

No worries , you could say he won a promotion but I’m not saying I want him either just playing devils advocate, no obvious candidate for me except McCabe tbh but doubt he would come

Not listened to the whole thing, but it seems some players are a bit aggrieved at the  decision, which doesn’t bode well and it seems to have come as a shock to Murray as well. The next appointment is absolutely crucial.