The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 hour ago, Raithie said:

Sacks Murray for poor results and performances yet says this "There’s not been a prolonged downturn in results or a team that’s been losing lots of games" 🤔

I thought he said it was a regression in players/style rather than results?

I can see what he's saying. While we've been fairly uninspiring in 2024, it's not like we're on a terrible run of form and it's obviously a better situation to come into than would normally be the case when a manager is sacked. 

Just read the sad news that Alex Kinninmonth passed away aged 82 at the weekend. Former assistant to Gordon Wallace, Bobby Wilson and Frank Connor.

When Wilson was sacked and form and morale were at rock bottom, Kinninmonth immediately pushed Billy Herd and Paul Sweeney from full backs into midfield and the upturn in results was absolutely staggering.

Interesting article here on what it's like to be an unemployed football manager. There's a brief reference to Kevin Thomson and him 'withdrawing' from the contest to replace John McGlynn at Raith Rovers a couple of years ago. https://www.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/aug/12/loss-loneliness-unemployed-football-manager?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

1 hour ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

This. The “there’s nothing broken” bit made me laugh slightly.

It's not difficult to understand, or amusing, unless you choose to make it so.

Our form had been honking for months. We passed up countless opportunities to overhaul a stumbling DUFC and performances up until Saturday there didn't look like the pattern was changing, or likely to.

He wasn't emptied for results or the team being broken. Indeed Saturday's gutsy performance showed the team to be very much together. He's gone because the BoD didn't believe he could take us any further. Make the next step. I agree with them.

10 minutes ago, Gregor147 said:

Thomson turned us down before over budgets and then seemingly annoyed our new owners enough who told him to ram it after going for multiple full time jobs. Very funny to see him now as part of the bookies odds with folk trying to link him up us. I'd be very surprised if his application was entertained. 

8 hours ago, RaithRovers1883 said:

Interesting article here on what it's like to be an unemployed football manager. There's a brief reference to Kevin Thomson and him 'withdrawing' from the contest to replace John McGlynn at Raith Rovers a couple of years ago. https://www.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/aug/12/loss-loneliness-unemployed-football-manager?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Shows the delusion of someone like Thomson. Says he wants a full-time club because he's 'done' League 2, as if 1 season winning the league with a team that I could have managed to the title is enough to convince any full-time club he is a good manager. Then implies that his unwillingness to do presentations has held him back, when actually it's his lack of any track record/experience.

There's obviously a huge element of luck and timing with getting some management jobs, Rhys McCabe for example. But if you don't get that luck then you should be getting experience at a lower level to build up your CV which he hasn't been willing to do - he'd have easily got a League 1 job (not least from staying at Kelty) in the last couple of years if he'd wanted one, which may have helped convince Championship clubs that he wasn't just the beneficiary of Kelty blowing everyone out the water financially.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

9 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Shows the delusion of someone like Thomson. Says he wants a full-time club because he's 'done' League 2, as if 1 season winning the league with a team that I could have managed to the title is enough to convince any full-time club he is a good manager. Then implies that his unwillingness to do presentations has held him back, when actually it's his lack of any track record/experience.

There's obviously a huge element of luck and timing with getting some management jobs, Rhys McCabe for example. But if you don't get that luck then you should be getting experience at a lower level to build up your CV which he hasn't been willing to do - he'd have easily got a League 1 job (not least from staying at Kelty) in the last couple of years if he'd wanted one, which may have helped convince Championship clubs that he wasn't just the beneficiary of Kelty blowing everyone out the water financially.

I don't think presentations are fun in any job interview, let alone one about managing a football team and it not being full of cliches and buzzwords or 2D positional photos of formations. I remember when Brendan Rodgers went for the Liverpool job, he had a 180 page document that contained his whole footballing philosophy, seems like overkill.  

2 hours ago, SerieA said:

Any Club 1883 members get Matchday poster and programme emailed to them for Saturdays game?

I got mine Saturday which was later than usual it may have gone into your junk, or you've mistaken it for an email trying to sell hospitality.