The New Raith Rovers Thread

2 minutes ago, Varna Rover said:

i think were missing the point here.we were told the club hopes to make a statement by Friday.if they are not in a position to do so then out of common courtesy surely an update can be given

Its a tough one.  If they are not as far along the road as they hoped its not a good look to say and if they come out giving more deadlines and don't meet them there will be backlash.  Better to keep their powder dry until there's something concrete.

In terms of recruitment, if everyone is fit then I think we only need a striker.

Of course you’ll take upgrades anywhere you can get but in terms of necessity then it’s only a striker. Smith, Vaughan, Hamilton and someone new is good enough to go at it.

That said, I’d like to know what the story is on Freeman. Fresh season and we’re already playing midfielders in defence.

Fordyce looked a bad injury and Hamilton totally broke down in the same game. Been told Hanlon will be back next week for 6 weeks now.

Would love Megwa and someone like Le Fondre from Hibs who’ll surely get zero game time with the arrival of Bowie.

This is why football clubs will never be as transparent as fans want.  Its not particularly helpful to give indicative timelines etc if people start losing their shit if, for whatever reason, those aren't strictly adhered to.

3 minutes ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

In terms of recruitment, if everyone is fit then I think we only need a striker.

Of course you’ll take upgrades anywhere you can get but in terms of necessity then it’s only a striker. Smith, Vaughan, Hamilton and someone new is good enough to go at it.

That said, I’d like to know what the story is on Freeman. Fresh season and we’re already playing midfielders in defence.

Fordyce looked a bad injury and Hamilton totally broke down in the same game. Been told Hanlon will be back next week for 6 weeks now.

Would love Megwa and someone like Le Fondre from Hibs who’ll surely get zero game time with the arrival of Bowie.

Le Fondre is at FC United of Manchester

4 minutes ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

I think a right full back should be a priority too. Freeman either isn’t up to speed, or isn’t up to it. Either way, Ross Matthews deputising there is not the answer.

I know LeFondre was just an illustrative example but he was on a packet at Hibs was he not? He’s also at FC United of Manchester now anyway, following his Easter Road release.

39 minutes ago, Arthur Reid McDermott said:

C'Mon Broken Algorithms.  What player in his right mind is gonna sign for us when he doesn't know who his Manager is going to be.  We are also seen as a bit of a strange bunch right now.  The perception, in pretty much the whole of Scottish Football right now (rightly or wrongly) is that we have sacked a Manager who achieved second place by a country mile in the league last season, and  got us to within 120 minutes of promotion, and we have sacked him after only one league game this season?  Is this really the sort of outfit you would want to play for and be employed by?  I think we could struggle to attract good players to our club under this perception/misperception!

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that players won't really care about the discourse of how the last manager left the club, and be more focused firstly on how much hits their bank account each month, with other factors being logistics and potentially where the club is likely to finish in the table. 

Fans always tend to sell the most negative aspects of clubs. We're going to be absolutely fine to sign players much in the same way we have been over the last two seasons.

The issue isn't the manager position. The issue is that 20 goal strikers don't grow on trees, and that there's an absolute dearth of free agents just now who are of a good enough standard. Some will try their luck down south before possibly coming back up, others will do a merry go round of clubs until they find one willing to take a punt (see Dapo Mebude getting looked at and passed over by ourselves and Livingston). 

The loan market should start to open up a bit more shortly from the top flight clubs in Scotland. You can always take a chance on England's under 23 leagues but for every Connor O'Riordan there are far more Timmy Abraham types.

Edited by Broken Algorithms

3 minutes ago, CrossgatesCynic said:

I know LeFondre was just an illustrative example

Exactly that, an SPL level player who’s down the pecking order but wants game time.

Kane at the Pars (when fit) will also be a good illustration.

heres a suggestion. colin cameron would jump at the rover managerial job. why not appoint him and leave mickey as coach. i believe many players would like to work under those 2.

1 minute ago, Varna Rover said:

heres a suggestion. colin cameron would jump at the rover managerial job. why not appoint him and leave mickey as coach. i believe many players would like to work under those 2.

For me, Cameron's managerial career doesn't make enthusiastic reading. He's a positive force about the club but I don't think we'd look at him as the man to take the reins.

Edited by Broken Algorithms

Unless it's a short term loan deal players surely want to know who the manager will be?  In case there's bad blood or they know that manager will play a certain way that doesn't work for them. 

15 hours ago, MICMAC said:

I'm going to throw a name out there 'Billy Davies'

There was a time I'd have jumped at this but it was nearly 20 years ago, a 60 yr old who hasn't held a position in football in the last 10 years might be the one we want.

1 hour ago, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

I don't think anyone does. 

Regardless of how 'in the know' some pretend to be. 

And that includes the BoD

28 minutes ago, Varna Rover said:

i think were missing the point here.we were told the club hopes to make a statement by Friday.if they are not in a position to do so then out of common courtesy surely an update can be given

To be fair he never specified which Friday.

Just now, Varna Rover said:

Oh dear.

6 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

For me, Cameron's managerial career doesn't make enthusiastic reading. He's a positive force about the club but I don't think we'd look at him as the man to take the reigns.

but we wont know unless given the chance. a 1 year contract to see and then take it from there. and it would take away a lot of the current uncertainy within the club

Edited by Varna Rover

6 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that players won't really care about the discourse of how the last manager left the club, and be more focused firstly on how much hits their bank account each month, with other factors being logistics and potentially where the club is likely to finish in the table. 

Fans always tend to sell the most negative aspects of clubs. We're going to be absolutely fine to sign players much in the same way we have been over the last two seasons.

The issue isn't the manager position. The issue is that 20 goal strikers don't grow on trees, and that there's an absolute dearth of free agents just now who are of a good enough standard. Some will try their luck down south before possibly coming back up, others will do a merry go round of clubs until they find one willing to take a punt (see Dapo Mebude getting looked at and passed over by ourselves and Livingston). 

The loan market should start to open up a bit more shortly from the top flight clubs in Scotland. You can always take a chance on England's under 23 leagues but for every Connor O'Riordan there are far more Timmy Abraham types.

This is key and won't change after the window closes. Free transfer business should be done prior to the contract ending or within a few weeks because the good ones are snapped up quickly and the ones that don't, you start to question why they've not been picked up (McKinstry, McInroy). I think we'll lean into loans when that market starts, as they have the benefit of being match fit and had a pre-season for the most part.

1 minute ago, Varna Rover said:

but we wont know unless given the chance. a 1 year contract to see and then take it from there.

But we could have a pretty good guess at it.

Chris do a wee bit of research, google Colin Cameron and check out his stats as manager and at the level he managed then come back on and tell us if you still think it's a good idea.

3 minutes ago, Varna Rover said:

but we wont know unless given the chance. a 1 year contract to see and then take it from there.

We could say the same for every manager out there though. We need the right person, not a speculative punt. 

1 minute ago, Scottydog said:

But we could have a pretty good guess at it.

Chris do a wee bit of research, google Colin Cameron and check out his stats as manager and at the level he managed then come back on and tell us if you still think it's a good idea.

it was only a suggestion

1 minute ago, CountryBumpkin said:

This is key and won't change after the window closes. Free transfer business should be done prior to the contract ending or within a few weeks because the good ones are snapped up quickly and the ones that don't, you start to question why they've not been picked up (McKinstry, McInroy). I think we'll lean into loans when that market starts, as they have the benefit of being match fit and had a pre-season for the most part.

Aye, absolutely. Every season there's players where you wonder why they've not signed deals and they'll inevitably crop up later in the autumn at clubs. Daniel O'Reilly was the perfect example last season. 

2 minutes ago, Varna Rover said:

This is the best opportunity to get out this league since the early 2010s. I don't think we shouldn't be giving the head job to a man who hasn't had a head job in the SPFL in 10 years and got the punt from Berwick and Cowdenbeath.