The New Raith Rovers Thread

While Baird and Cardle are two players I would ideally have kept, I'm not too fussed at their departure. Cardle was wholly inconsistent, excellent on his day, but unfortunately those days were too few and far between. Baird's goals were vital in our survival bid and will be the bigger miss of the two, in my opinion. Especially as he's joined a team in the same league, weakening ourselves and strengthening a rival.

Big plus point is that he's going out of the championship. I don't mind losing good players - I mean, I do but it's inevitable, happens to all the clubs so it's a leveller to an extent - what's annoying about Baird is it directly strengthens a competitor, whereas cardle leaving to County doesn't.

Yeah that as well. Murray made some really astute signings early last season and he may still yet suprise us before the knives get sharpened further

Players not staying to leave for more money or a longer contract is hardly surprising. Our problem is we have stopped giving two year deals. Really cant blame baird, have to ask why we didnt offer him a two year deal or 18months when he first signed. For me next year the difference/gulf between top div and championship will be minimal even more so if hibs come down. other than Celtic,Aberdeen, Utd & Motherwell all other teams are bog standard in that league, There is plenty opertunity for a player like cardle or others to show case skills in this div. If we only offer out 1year deals will will struggle again next summer, players that prove themselves need to be offered 2year deals to aviod a massive clearout year on year while others get offered 1year.

Twelve goals in 44 Dumbarton appearance last season isn't exactly jaw-dropping (especially given how many they score) but I'd be happier to see Megginson sign than Smith or Spence.

12 goals from left mid isn't all that bad and he finished our top scorer. If you sign him and play him as a striker I don't think you'll get the best from him.

Players not staying to leave for more money or a longer contract is hardly surprising. Our problem is we have stopped giving two year deals. Really cant blame baird, have to ask why we didnt offer him a two year deal or 18months when he first signed. For me next year the difference/gulf between top div and championship will be minimal even more so if hibs come down. other than Celtic,Aberdeen, Utd & Motherwell all other teams are bog standard in that league, There is plenty opertunity for a player like cardle or others to show case skills in this div. If we only offer out 1year deals will will struggle again next summer, players that prove themselves need to be offered 2year deals to aviod a massive clearout year on year while others get offered 1year.

2 years offers a player security but at the same time, better players may not want to be tied down by them - I'm sure Baird would rather have had a one year deal when he first came to the club, for example. Also, unless you are really sure, you end up using up a wage on Joe Hammil that you'd rather have not.

Besides, whos to say we didn't offer baird two years?

While Baird and Cardle are two players I would ideally have kept, I'm not too fussed at their departure. Cardle was wholly inconsistent, excellent on his day, but unfortunately those days were too few and far between. Baird's goals were vital in our survival bid and will be the bigger miss of the two, in my opinion. Especially as he's joined a team in the same league, weakening ourselves and strengthening a rival.

Baird's goals were not vital in our survival in the league. The only goal (singular) of his which was vital was the winner against QoS. The rest of his goals were all consolations, except one of the three we scored against Dumbarton which helped in a 3-3 draw (Smith getting two in that game).

The goals scored by Booth in the 1-0 away win at Alloa and Spence in the 2-1 home win over Morton were just as vital.

When Baird signed up we had no idea where we'd finish so to offer anything other than a short deal would have been foolish. Relegated, lower crowds, reduced sponsorship but (relatively) hefty wages to maintain? Longer deals are risky for a club like ours because we can't be sure of a healthy finish. We don't need commitments hanging round our necks when we have no stability. Baird and Cardle will be replaced and we rebuild, like we all know we need to. And we will still be in business.

Baird's goals were not vital in our survival in the league. The only goal (singular) of his which was vital was the winner against QoS. The rest of his goals were all consolations, except one of the three we scored against Dumbarton which helped in a 3-3 draw (Smith getting two in that game).

The goals scored by Booth in the 1-0 away win at Alloa and Spence in the 2-1 home win over Morton were just as vital.

They may have been consolations, but our goal difference would have been much worse if we had lost to Hamilton, Falkirk etc 4-0 instead of 4-2. So in some ways, those goals were kind of important.

Ross County have confirmed Cardle signing

Winger Cardle Signs For County

Ross County would like to announce the pre contract signing of Joe Cardle from Raith Rovers on a 1 year contract.

Manager Derek Adams said, "We have signed an out and out winger. Joe is very creative and direct which will suit our style of play."

2 years offers a player security but at the same time, better players may not want to be tied down by them - I'm sure Baird would rather have had a one year deal when he first came to the club, for example. Also, unless you are really sure, you end up using up a wage on Joe Hammil that you'd rather have not.

Besides, whos to say we didn't offer baird two years?

At the time he quoted the two year deal as being part of the reason he signed. Although one year into it when he'd done quite well he was wishing he'd only signed for a year, sure. I agree it's a pity we aren't doing two year deals these days, in McGlynn's time that gave us some stability as well as helping us to sign players.

Anyway, more disappointed to lose Baird than Cardle, but hey-ho.

Thats the problem im not even looking at the FB page just from folk on my friends list. Someone just suggesting they are putting money on Rovers getting relegated. There is only so much sarcasm i can put in a reply

Not that fussed about Cardle either tbh, as others have said he is great on his day but they were few & far between. I just hope his replacement can take corners & not insist on cutting in 99.9999999999% of the time.

Thats the problem im not even looking at the FB page just from folk on my friends list. Someone just suggesting they are putting money on Rovers getting relegated. There is only so much sarcasm i can put in a reply

Why anyone would put money on relegation before all the player comings and goings are confirmed is beyond me. Complete over-reaction to losing two entirely replaceable players.

Baird and Cardle done well for us but not really the main priorities. For me getting McGurn, Watson and Anderson signed up is vital. Them along with Moon and Elliot give us a great core to build the team around. Dissapointed to lose these 2 but glad it was done now rather thank weeks down the line. Plenty time to get replacements.