The New Raith Rovers Thread

Support for Murray has been thin since last season and even a good start in the first quarter hasn't persuaded me that he's the man to take us forward. The fact we keep getting done in is infuruating - I don't expect us to beat the teams that have thrashed us but we could at least give them some semblance of competition when we play them.

I'd be happy for Murray to go, but then I'd have canned him last season.

To be beaten by a better team, fair enough. To be embarrassed by the better teams week in week out? To not be learning from previous humpings?

New manager please. Murray is just not cutting it. Nice guys don't make good managers.

Edited by RaithNil

Laidlaw should unquestionably be dropped, it was odd he was playing in the first place, but I'm not sure I'd pin the blame solely on him - or even at all, to be honest. He made perhaps four or five decent saves in addition to the six conceded. None were any I'd expect him to let in (like the fourth, really) but eleven decent efforts on target means the problem is in front of the keeper. McGurn will help with that a little as we all know he's a lunatic but he can't solve it.

Last season a back 4 of Thomson-Watson-Hill-Booth was shite. Absolutely hopeless. And now we're desperately waiting for Hill to return so we can have a back 4 of Thomson-Watson-Hill-McKeown. And I'm quite sure even Rory McKeown would agree he's significantly worse than Callum Booth. The only person who could come in here is Craig Barr, but would he really solve absolutely everything? Will he even play at centre back?

Fox and Moon didn't do enough to protect the back 4 last season. Solution? Let's keep playing them as the central midfielders. Murray fancies Scott as either an attacking midfielder or a right midfielder, it seems, given his selection so far this season since Moon returned from injury. So Barr is the only player who can come in here, too. And he can't play both positions at once.

So essentially, because Craig Barr is injured, we have exactly the same players playing in and in front of the back four, except McKeown for Booth (and up until now Perry/Ellis for Hill, tbf). Exactly the same players who were responsible for 3 in 20. Wonder why we're letting in goals.

It's important not to over-react to a humping by a far better team, but let's not pretend this has been a one-off. Hill coming back will help but it's proven it won't solve anything. We've been unlucky with Barr but the contingency plan has been to revert to type, which we know doesn't work.

I can't see a future for Murray if we lose next week. I really can't. A draw might buy him another few weeks but it really seems inevitable at the moment.

Edited by Paco

As embarrassing as today was, getting hammered by Rangers is not reason to sack Murray.

Alloa is totally and utterly must win though.

What about being embarrassed by 2-4 v Hamilton?

Or 2-4 v Falkirk?

Or 2-4 v Livingston?

Or 1-3 v Dumbarton?

Then this season there's 0-4 v Hearts

And 0-4 v Dundee

Also 0-4 v Rangers

3-4 v QOS

Look, we've had some decent results and displays under Murray but the comic cuts defending has to be stopped.

Unfortunately Murray has proved he can't stop it.

4 goals lost to Hearts

4 goals lost to Dundee

4 goals lost to Rangers

4 goals lost to Queen of the South

6 goals lost to rangers

Sorry but that is inexcusable after the second half of last season

Murray Out

You forgot the 4 to York pre season, simply not good enough, ANY positives that could have been taken from the point at Easter Road have been well and truly eradicated.

It's happening to frequently, big defeats and no lessons being learned, Murray was lucky not to be sacked at the end of last season, but this is embarrassing, I don't expect to win every game but at least make it competitive, not just the results above but the Pars game at east end, it's a shambles, we'll get the usual clichéd pish in his interviews, I'm sick of it, can't believe he started Laidlaw today after last week, if he stays I fear relegation.

how's about getting hammered twice by Rangers, once each by Hearts and Dundee,

Losing 18 goals and scoring 1?

Don't forget losing 4 at home to QOS, 2 Vs 10 men & 4 Vs York pre season ... Losing 4+ Goals is becoming a habit with no lessons being learned.

Like i said in the Gers V Raith thread, i don't ever expect to beat and probably not even draw with these teams, but when clubs such as Alloa, Livi, Dumbarton and Cowdung are making a game of it and nicking points, even winning the odd game or 2, there is absolutely zero reason we should be getting smashed every time.

I gave Murray the first round of games before judging & whilst our position is good, our performances and progress are absolutely horrendous. I think its best for all now if Murray goes, the fans aren't happy (most of them), attendances are getting lower & lower (will we even get over 1000 for Cowdung/Alloa home games ?), the football is 90 minute worth of punts to Nade for him to lose the 50/50 and possession and we are playing constant 4-5-1 defensive formations with a defence who cant defend and a young keeper ....

Enough's enough, time for a change.

Edited by ADMO

Don't forget losing 4 at home to QOS, 2 Vs 10 men & 4 Vs York pre season ... Losing 4+ Goals is becoming a habit with no lessons being learned.

Like i said in the Gers V Raith thread, i don't ever expect to beat and probably not even draw with these teams, but when clubs such as Alloa, Livi, Dumbarton and Cowdung are making a game of it and nicking points, even winning the odd game or 2, there is absolutely zero reason we should be getting smashed every time.

I gave Murray the first round of games before judging & whilst our position is good, our performances and progress are absolutely horrendous. I think its best for all now if Murray goes, the fans aren't happy (most of them), attendances are getting lower & lower (will we even get over 1000 for Cowdung/Alloa home games ?), the football is 90 minute worth of punts to Nade for him to lose the 50/50 and possession and we are playing constant 4-5-1 defensive formations with a defence who cant defend and a young keeper ....

Enough's enough, time for a change.

I agree with almost everything you say but even I wouldn't be so harsh as to include the York City game (or any pre - season game for that matter) in Murrays Haul of Shame

John McGlynn. Jimmy Nicholl.

John McGlynn - nice guy who also suffered from the eternal Rovers problem - being in the job too long, and forgetting he has three more players he can switch during the game. Stale as a five year old loaf by the time he went.

Jimmy Nicholl - first time round yes. Then there was the second.......

Murray has shown he is just not up to it. Its a shame because I like him as a man but the tactical ineptitude has been glaring for about a year!

And its not ross laidlaws fault he was offered a contract and is played - but it is embarrassing having a goalie that bad. I said it last week in the QoS game thread, I actually feel sorry for him.

Murray must go, laidlaw must never play again ever and be released as soon as possible.

Laidlaw should unquestionably be dropped, it was odd he was playing in the first place, but I'm not sure I'd pin the blame solely on him - or even at all, to be honest. He made perhaps four or five decent saves in addition to the six conceded. None were any I'd expect him to let in (like the fourth, really) but eleven decent efforts on target means the problem is in front of the keeper. McGurn will help with that a little as we all know he's a lunatic but he can't solve it.

Last season a back 4 of Thomson-Watson-Hill-Booth was shite. Absolutely hopeless. And now we're desperately waiting for Hill to return so we can have a back 4 of Thomson-Watson-Hill-McKeown. And I'm quite sure even Rory McKeown would agree he's significantly worse than Callum Booth. The only person who could come in here is Craig Barr, but would he really solve absolutely everything? Will he even play at centre back?

Fox and Moon didn't do enough to protect the back 4 last season. Solution? Let's keep playing them as the central midfielders. Murray fancies Scott as either an attacking midfielder or a right midfielder, it seems, given his selection so far this season since Moon returned from injury. So Barr is the only player who can come in here, too. And he can't play both positions at once.

So essentially, because Craig Barr is injured, we have exactly the same players playing in and in front of the back four, except McKeown for Booth (and up until now Perry/Ellis for Hill, tbf). Exactly the same players who were responsible for 3 in 20. Wonder why we're letting in goals.

It's important not to over-react to a humping by a far better team, but let's not pretend this has been a one-off. Hill coming back will help but it's proven it won't solve anything. We've been unlucky with Barr but the contingency plan has been to revert to type, which we know doesn't work.

I can't see a future for Murray if we lose next week. I really can't. A draw might buy him another few weeks but it really seems inevitable at the moment.

Good post. I've heard and seen a few people point to the injuries we've had, and while we've been very unfortunate with injuries to centre backs and goalkeepers, your post highlights exactly why things may not get a whole lot better even when these guys return.

We absolutely must win next week. What would be even better is a convincing performance. Unfortunately these have been few and far between at Stark's Park this season and with morale probably at an all time low I'm not confident.

For what its worth, Laurie Ellis and Paul Watson cost us far more today than Laidlaw did. Do we demand they never play for the club again?

I would certainly not be disappointed to see the back of our entire defence. They were all part of the problem last season and the only the new signings have only made things worse.

For what its worth, Laurie Ellis and Paul Watson cost us far more today than Laidlaw did. Do we demand they never play for the club again?

Haha come on your not comparing the ability of Laurie, and particularly Watson to Laidlaw (in their respective positions)

I think we woould all agree Laurie's best years are past him and whilst he has put some excellent performances in during the last few weeks, we should be looking to have a better CB. Watson was really poor but is not a poor player.

Laidlaw is horrific as a player. Has a few good moments shot stopping wise but so do all goalies. To be a proper keeper its about no mistakes in basic handling etc. he can barely catch the ball on occasions.

I think every goal we gave away today, was the result of a cataclysmic individual error. It was horrendous.

Somebody switched off at their corner, we didn't react to the quick free kick at the second, Watson's miscued clearance for 3, Laidlaw throwing the fourth in, he probably should have claimed the fifth but I didn't see it properly, and Anderson got caught wrong side at the sixth.

Thing is, Rangers were there for the taking today. We deserved to be back in at at 2-1, and i was going to say we shot ourselves in the foot, but that cliché doesn't do the capitulation justice.

It was more like we smashed our toes to pieces with a hammer, before hacking both feet off with a machete.

Michty me.