Who's Going To Uni?

No, might go tonight cos I slept in and missed my train to Dundee to go to the United game FFS

That won't matter, United are getting pumped anyway :P

There's normally a good chance of getting your Nat King at the old fire station too.

22 hours ago, smpar said:

Aberdeen. In third year now though so I can just carry on with my own programme, I'd honestly say it's much less hassle than first and second year (studying wise) despite the workload increasing.

I'm also a 3rd year at Aberdeen uni and I must say I actually quite liked doing subjects outside my degree. So much so I'm now a joint honours student. I can see how it would be annoying for some though who know 100% what they want to study.

I'm also a 3rd year at Aberdeen uni and I must say I actually quite liked doing subjects outside my degree. So much so I'm now a joint honours student. I can see how it would be annoying for some though who know 100% what they want to study.

Yeah I can also see how it can open up so many different avenues and career choices for some folk, but as someone who knows exactly what I want to do when I finish uni, it can be a frustrating time.

22 hours ago, smpar said:

There's normally a good chance of getting your Nat King at the old fire station too.

Correct.

24 minutes ago, Mr Hahn said:

Also correct. I did Criminology as my original degree but got to study modules such as International Law, EU Law and so forth. Now I'm doing an Accelerated LLB.

1 hour ago, smpar said:

Yeah I can also see how it can open up so many different avenues and career choices for some folk, but as someone who knows exactly what I want to do when I finish uni, it can be a frustrating time.

Yeh I see that piont of view plus, correct me if I'm wrong, you'll do large parts of your honours years on placement? So the option of a joint degree probably won't be as possible.

1 hour ago, Allan Jacobsen said:

Correct.

Also correct. I did Criminology as my original degree but got to study modules such as International Law, EU Law and so forth. Now I'm doing an Accelerated LLB.

Are you also Aberdeen Uni? I hear our law department is particularly good. I did a business law course at Edinburgh and it was pretty interesting. I'd have thought it was the kind of course where the quality of the lecturer makes a difference. Ours was very good.

The cross-over between "being bright" and "working hard" is probably enough for a 2:1. Different fields will claim that their degree is more 'difficult', but other than having an objectively larger workload I'm unconvinced by that argument.

Having split my joint honours between humanities and science I found that argument fairly persuasive.

• 1 year later...

Return of an old topic here.

I organised a lab class for my students this week. Almost half of them (42) didn't show up. I got the usual emails ("Sorry I've been ill", "My granny fell ill", "I got confused about what day it was on"). For some reason I am unseasonably mad about this, and am about to send out an email made of fire to these shirkers. 

5 hours ago, scottsdad said:

I organised a lab class for my students this week. Almost half of them (42) didn't show up. I got the usual emails ("Sorry I've been ill", "My granny fell ill", "I got confused about what day it was on"). For some reason I am unseasonably mad about this, and am about to send out an email made of fire to these shirkers. 

If Aberdeen Uni (and probably every other) is anything to go by, then the undergrads are probably gripped by Fresher's Flu*

*which means they have a sniffle and think it'll make a good excuse.

Edited by Hedgecutter

7 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Was it compulsory?

This happened to me at the start of one of my classes once. The tutor sent out an e-mail which effectively went "if you don't turn up next week you're getting grassed", that seemed to work. 

Who did the tutor threaten to grass on his students to?

12 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

Who did the tutor threaten to grass on his students to?

this was over four years ago it's not like I remember

Whoever was responsible for ensuring students turned up to things they had to turn up to to keep getting tuitions and bursaries paid, I'd assume

this was over four years ago it's not like I remember
Whoever was responsible for ensuring students turned up to things they had to turn up to to keep getting tuitions and bursaries paid, I'd assume

Hmm. I’m of the thinking this would be pointing himself out to his employers that he’s not a great tutor.