Who's Going To Uni?

I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask but if I asked it in the QQ thread then it's bound to get trolled, but the people who view this thread are usually pretty serious with their answers.

Basically, it's recently come to light that someone in my year has been put on the sex offenders' register, and it's for pretty much the worst sorta offense. He's still in the year but my question is, should the uni not have notified the students? I mean, it's a pretty big thing and I thought he'd have had to mention it, or the year advisor would've. I'm not expecting anyone to have went through this before but any insight would be helpful.

I don't want to get into specifics or a bitchfest but I would like some clarification if it's available.

What uni do you go to?

I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask but if I asked it in the QQ thread then it's bound to get trolled, but the people who view this thread are usually pretty serious with their answers.

Basically, it's recently come to light that someone in my year has been put on the sex offenders' register, and it's for pretty much the worst sorta offense. He's still in the year but my question is, should the uni not have notified the students? I mean, it's a pretty big thing and I thought he'd have had to mention it, or the year advisor would've. I'm not expecting anyone to have went through this before but any insight would be helpful.

I don't want to get into specifics or a bitchfest but I would like some clarification if it's available.

To be honest, who would have told you, and why? What would it have achieved?

From a staff point of view, we're generally not told stuff like this unless it directly impacts on teaching, and this sounds like it doesn't. So if I was teaching your class, then its probable I wouldn't have known either. But I come back to my first point, what would telling your year have achieved? If it was for something serious, the authorities, and the senior support staff would know and would be vigilant, but a mass email to students would do nothing positive.

To be honest, who would have told you, and why? What would it have achieved?

From a staff point of view, we're generally not told stuff like this unless it directly impacts on teaching, and this sounds like it doesn't. So if I was teaching your class, then its probable I wouldn't have known either. But I come back to my first point, what would telling your year have achieved? If it was for something serious, the authorities, and the senior support staff would know and would be vigilant, but a mass email to students would do nothing positive.

Well the guy was in our group for assignments and the conviction is do with under-age "antics"(I don't want to get specific) and I sure as hell don't want to be associating with him.

It's not a drunken mistake, it's pretty disgusting what he's done, and I never want to have to speak to him again. I'm going to speak to the relevant lecturer on Monday to ask to be moved groups.

I just thought that they'd need to make the students aware of such things. Sorta like neighbours of a registered person are made aware of it(aren't they?)

edit: for who would have told us, we have a year advisor. He's one of our lecturers and is in charge of stuff that pertains to the whole year(so you'd email him about exams in general for instance)

Edited by forehead7

I would want to know, what if I had a kid and needed someone to babysit it. Could easily give it to him without knowing.

Can you seriously just beat it? This is a pretty serious situation and I'd rather not have your jibber jabber.

You don't have a kid, you aren't at a Glasgow uni and if you somehow managed to get those two things done within the next ~10 months then you probably shouldn't be looking for random babysitters around campus.

Well the guy was in our group for assignments and the conviction is do with under-age "antics"(I don't want to get specific) and I sure as hell don't want to be associating with him.

It's not a drunken mistake, it's pretty disgusting what he's done, and I never want to have to speak to him again. I'm going to speak to the relevant lecturer on Monday to ask to be moved groups.

I just thought that they'd need to make the students aware of such things. Sorta like neighbours of a registered person are made aware of it(aren't they?)

I don't think there is any law about neighbours, although I could be wrong. There is a chance that the staff themselves (the lecturers) won't know either. What would they do though, send a massive email round the whole class saying "such and such did x"? Can you imagine the reaction? While I have sympathy with you, is it a crime they have been punished for? And are you sure its genuine and not malicious rumour?

But no, I'm no expert on the law, but I don't think you'd be expected to make the students aware of such thing. Certainly with the staff, we're not told anything about students personally unless its need to know. In my experience anyway.

I don't think there is any law about neighbours, although I could be wrong. There is a chance that the staff themselves (the lecturers) won't know either. What would they do though, send a massive email round the whole class saying "such and such did x"? Can you imagine the reaction? While I have sympathy with you, is it a crime they have been punished for? And are you sure its genuine and not malicious rumour?

But no, I'm no expert on the law, but I don't think you'd be expected to make the students aware of such thing. Certainly with the staff, we're not told anything about students personally unless its need to know. In my experience anyway.

He was convicted during the summer and has been given a suspended sentence. He also told someone that I'm friends with about it(left out a tonne of details) which made that person(my friend) go and find the news article which I was sent via another friend. It had quotes from the judge and other stuff as well, so yeah, it is a proper crime that he's been convicted of.

I don't know, I just thought they'd need to make the classmates aware of it.

TBH, I'm not sure why he's still at uni, his sentence has been suspended until the start of what would be his last year in the course. I can't see him getting a job with that on his record.

He was convicted during the summer and has been given a suspended sentence. He also told someone that I'm friends with about it(left out a tonne of details) which made that person(my friend) go and find the news article which I was sent via another friend. It had quotes from the judge and other stuff as well, so yeah, it is a proper crime that he's been convicted of.

I don't know, I just thought they'd need to make the classmates aware of it.

TBH, I'm not sure why he's still at uni, his sentence has been suspended until the start of what would be his last year in the course. I can't see him getting a job with that on his record.

Like I said, the staff may not know themselves. That sort of thing is not generally passed on, and if the student isn't in a position where he'd re-offend, then its not really our job to know. From my perspective, I'm not a judge, I'm not here to make decisions over who I teach or not, and I can absolutely see why they'd not spread it about. As I said, I do have sympathy with your views, but if you go to see your lecturer and tell him why, and he looks surprised, then thats likely to not be a bluff.

Like I said, the staff may not know themselves. That sort of thing is not generally passed on, and if the student isn't in a position where he'd re-offend, then its not really our job to know. From my perspective, I'm not a judge, I'm not here to make decisions over who I teach or not, and I can absolutely see why they'd not spread it about. As I said, I do have sympathy with your views, but if you go to see your lecturer and tell him why, and he looks surprised, then thats likely to not be a bluff.

Hadn't even considered it, that conversation could be very awkward if he doesn't know! unsure.gif

Hadn't even considered it, that conversation could be very awkward if he doesn't know! unsure.gif

To my best knowledge, advisers don't have any more knowledge about students than the normal staff, and a lot of the staff know very little about the students, and to be frank, care less. So its quite likely he doesn't know, and probably won't think you for telling him. So yes, it could be very awkward!

A couple of things I'd point out, people required to register as a sex offender don't need to name it known to their neighbour. I think that might be the case in the States, but not in the UK.

If his sentence has been suspended, rather than being custodial, I'd question just how serious you say it is. I don't doubt that it's disgusting - any sex offence is - but how much of a risk does he pose to other students? I would imagine it's not high.

It's unpleasant when you know that stuff about him, but think about it, you could be chatting to sex offenders on here or siting next to them at the football and never know. Are they expected to walk through the streets shouting it out as they go to give people the option of crossing the road if they want?

Shame really, I'd be an advocate of them wearing bell and a sign.

Edited by Mrs M

A couple of things I'd point out, people required to register as a sex offender don't need to name it known to their neighbour. I think that might be the case in the States, but not in the UK.

If his sentence has been suspended, rather than being custodial, I'd question just how serious you say it is. I don't doubt that it's disgusting - any sex offence is - but how much of a risk does he pose to other students?

Forehead "claimed" it was underage, therefore, correct me if i'm wrong, Uni students wouldn't be the victim of this guys "fetish". He's been judged by the law, so that's as far as it will go. Sometimes we don't want to do business with certain people but we have to. This is a good experience of how to deal with this, surely.

Got all my Class Tests out of the way over the past week. 2 of them were fine, should get decent marks for those. 1 of them was an absolute shiter just my luck that this year is the year they choose to change the format and content of the test.

Enjoying this year more than 1st year probably because I punted Computing Science. So far the work hasn't been too challenging and aside from one of the Stats courses I should do pretty well.

Is any of these LoveFilm characters hanging about any other Unis? Every time I wander on to Byers Road they are there with their ipads asking what films I watch and what games I play. Most annoying PRs, or whatever they call themselves, I've come across.

Absolute c***s. They don't even give say "hi, can I ask you a question" they just ask you from nowhere - "where do you get your films?"

I answered "back alleys and bins" and kept walking.

He wrote it down...

Got my seminar script back, and was surprised to find I'd been given an A5. Nice wee surprise, I was a little unsure about it.

If his sentence has been suspended, rather than being custodial, I'd question just how serious you say it is. I don't doubt that it's disgusting - any sex offence is - but how much of a risk does he pose to other students? I would imagine it's not high.

It's unpleasant when you know that stuff about him, but think about it, you could be chatting to sex offenders on here or siting next to them at the football and never know. Are they expected to walk through the streets shouting it out as they go to give people the option of crossing the road if they want?

Shame really, I'd be an advocate of them wearing bell and a sign.

The sentence is suspended because he pled guilty and "cut a deal", again this is from my friend who has spoken to the offender.

Well, I guess the risk is none since we're all at least 18/19 but it's more the fact that I don't want to speak to the guy, ever.

Yeah, but I'm never gonna actually speak, in person, to anyone of here. Well, not in any great length. Whereas, some students are proper mates with this guy and have probably shared personal stuff with him.

On a less serious note, can anyone on here help me with structural mechanics? I'm fucked otherwise if I can't find someone.

What's up? I've done two years of it so hopefully should be able to help.

The sentence is suspended because he pled guilty and "cut a deal", again this is from my friend who has spoken to the offender.

Well, I guess the risk is none since we're all at least 18/19 but it's more the fact that I don't want to speak to the guy, ever.

Yeah, but I'm never gonna actually speak, in person, to anyone of here. Well, not in any great length. Whereas, some students are proper mates with this guy and have probably shared personal stuff with him.

Remember, you aren't judge and jury. While you may not want to speak to him, it doesn't give you permission to try and destroy his life, which is what you seem to want to do, based on things a friend told you. The staff aren't going to throw him out of uni, based on your personal feelings. I'd suggest that while wanting to be moved to a different group is reasonable so you don't have to work with him, what you seem to want is basically a full disclosure, all the students told, and him removed from Uni. And that is not reasonable, and will not be received well by your lecturer.