Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

2 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Alcoholics are impossible to deal with. Until and unless they admit they have a problem and look for help themselves you're banging your head off a brick wall. Sad but true.

Had this with my own ma for years. We tried everything and nothing got through (even a couple of rehab attempts) until eventually she woke up one day and basically said "enough is enough" and now it's been 14 years.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:
4 hours ago, Slenderman said:
Fucking bawbag out with a chainsaw doing hedges at 8am...

I'm not sure what the official time for 'making noise' is in the morning.

9 am weekdays and at least 10:30 am at weekends. Anything earlier is the behaviour of a James Hunt. 

We have opposite problem in our street. A neighbour who starts their DIY projects at 9pm... 

Had this with my own ma for years. We tried everything and nothing got through (even a couple of rehab attempts) until eventually she woke up one day and basically said "enough is enough" and now it's been 14 years.
My mum was similar although she could go for several months or the odd year without a drink. Things went quickly down hill after I moved out and started my own family. Got to the stage that I didn't know what state she would be in when popping in with the kids.

Begged her to get help which she never did. Think it was the constant lies that really got to me. Finally gave her an ultimatum, she could either stop drinking or I would never let her see her grand children again. She stopped that same day, got herself to the gp and arranged counselling, she's never looked back since.

I always remember to tell her how proud I am of her every now and then

1 hour ago, Mr. Alli said:

Keep getting 50% off vouchers from UberEats that I never use so as I'm a bit hungover I thought I'd just give Subway an order. Footlong steak and cheese on hearty Italian, toasted, with southwest sauce. An array of crisps, juice and cookie with a side of meatballs. For £9. Delivered. 

Saturday has started well. 

If you can face that you're not hungover.

Edited by Jacksgranda

My Mother was hitting a litre a day of whisky when she was at her worst. Had to come up to look after the pair of them when my Dad got Alzheimer's, and she became wheelchair bound. Been gradually watering down her whisky ever since so she's now on about the equivalent of half a bottle of sherry a day, which she copes with fine. She knows full well what I've been doing, but it's something we don't talk about, or I've become adept at switching the conversation to something else. She didn't really start hitting the whisky in a big way till her Eighties, and I think it coincided with my Dad's slowly developing dementia.

1 hour ago, MuckleMoo said:

I always remember to tell her how proud I am of her every now and then

Aye, I'm the same. It's definitely good to share that sort of thing albeit I've had to rein it in as she's started doing something much, much worse than boozing. She's watching Janey Godley voiceovers.

Alcoholics are impossible to deal with. Until and unless they admit they have a problem and look for help themselves you're banging your head off a brick wall. Sad but true.
Some people don't drink, some  people can drink and some people can't drink. Until you start drinking yourself you don't know which of the latter two categories you fall into.

As someone who has been on both sides of this situation what Jacksgranda says is, sadly, very true.
Seen too many people fucked up/died/ institutionalised/locked up.

Could easily have been dead myself by now if I hadn’t got help.

6 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Aye, I'm the same. It's definitely good to share that sort of thing albeit I've had to rein it in as she's started doing something much, much worse than boozing. She's watching Janey Godley voiceovers.

Alcoholics are notorious for replacing one addiction with another...

Headline - The Problem

Attached Picture - The CauseScreenshot_20200712-142700.thumb.jpg.61be962ae431568963e4d8f43d52d925.jpg

I didn't read the article but if she has anything to do with it then it's a bit of a farce considering she has been using ripped off BBC footage for the last 100+ days and doubt she has paid for the rights to it. 

VILE FOOTBALL TROLL etc.etc.

I was in a boozer today, it wasn't that enjoyable so I walked 6 miles before I got into another boozer. "We are not taking bookings apart from Friday and Saturday" obviously was a massive lie. City centre to Hilltown, onto Stobbie, back into City centre then down the Ferry. 

Think I'm going to go sober until this shit is sorted. 

On 11/07/2020 at 19:39, PWL said:

9 am weekdays and at least 10:30 am at weekends. Anything earlier is the behaviour of a James Hunt. 

We have opposite problem in our street. A neighbour who starts their DIY projects at 9pm... 

I'm sure the official times you can get a warning for making too much noise are from 2300 - 0700.

On 12/07/2020 at 12:52, Empty It said:

Watched a few documentaries on the rise of ISIS and it's amazing how much it's almost entirely Americas fault, what a toxic nation.

If you're interested in U.S. involvement in the middle East / Afghanistan / since the end of WW2 and the long-term effects of same, have a watch of a couple of Adam Curtis' documentaries.

1. Bitter Lake

2. Hypernormalisation

Both were available on iPlayer last time I watched them. Alternatively YouTube.

I've just gone to read the gas meter which is outside the house. I've lifted the lid to the box and there is a large amount of spider web.

Sitting quite the thing in the middle of this is quite frankly the most incredibly large spider I have ever seen (big patterned abdomen and visible fangs) I'm sure it looked at me with a "mate, just shut the lid and walk away look" which I immediately did.

I'm not normally bothered by spiders but I think the gas company will be providing estimates from here on in.

I'm not ashamed to admit I shat it.

I've just gone to read the gas meter which is outside the house. I've lifted the lid to the box and there is a large amount of spider web.

Sitting quite the thing in the middle of this is quite frankly the most incredibly large spider I have ever seen (big patterned abdomen and visible fangs) I'm sure it looked at me with a "mate, just shut the lid and walk away look" which I immediately did.

I'm not normally bothered by spiders but I think the gas company will be providing estimates from here on in.

I'm not ashamed to admit I shat it.
Nae pics = tiddler.