Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

18 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Dealing with HMRC is a complete nightmare even when you do get through. You spend an hour on hold then get put through to either a complete simpleton or someone who can barely speak English. 

My experience recently was a little different.  I'll get a reduced state pension as my NI contributions for the vast majority of my working life were "contracted out" meaning that I have a superannuation pension and also because I took early retirement. I can mostly remedy that by making additional voluntary NI contributions, which I'll financially benefit from if I live long enough to get my state pension for just under 3 years.  It was all explained quite logically... One years contributions costs £X, each additional year bought gets an extra £Y per week for as long as I receive it.

I'm minded to buy some years, but haven't done anything about it yet as I have until next April (AIUI) to do it.  Anyone else doing it?

(I should maybe have put this in the "Retirement" thread...)

Edited by Salt n Vinegar
Typo

22 hours ago, TxRover said:

Assorted tarts:

Screenshot2024-04-14144906.png.eee1537801b53f6be716078c33ed00cb.png

Lemon > Orange > Strawberry > Blueberry > Passionfruit

P&B is failing badly these days!

Wid, wid, wid, wid, wid.

On 15/04/2024 at 10:45, Salt n Vinegar said:

My experience recently was a little different.  I'll get a reduced state pension as my NI contributions for the vast majority of my working life were "contracted out" meaning that I have a superannuation pension and also because I took early retirement. I can mostly remedy that by making additional voluntary NI contributions, which I'll financially benefit from if I live long enough to get my state pension for just under 3 years.  It was all explained quite logically... One years contributions costs £X, each additional year bought gets an extra £Y per week for as long as I receive it.

I'm minded to buy some years, but haven't done anything about it yet as I have until next April (AIUI) to do it.  Anyone else doing it?

Explain in football terms.

1 minute ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Explain in football terms.

Ok.

Rangers good, Celtic bad.  All other teams ok-ish, except Raith Rovers who are the best of the rest.  That's the big picture.

It therefore logically follows that if my previous matches played (NI contributions) haven't been good enough to give me the outcome I want, I can pay a sum of money to play more matches (buy more NI contributions) to allow me to achieve the necessary points total.

I think that's pretty clear now.

Do PnBers take extreme measures to avoid women in public or just act normally?"

I read the first half of her tweet in a John Inman voice.

26 minutes ago, bennett said:

I think the worst part of that whole thing is the word "cankles".

On 15/04/2024 at 17:45, Salt n Vinegar said:

Slightly different circumstances  for me but similar - I live abroad so needed to make up x number of years contributions to achieve the full state pension.  It's a fairly simple calculation and decision - x amount per week to get an extra year's contribution to get x amount extra state pension.  For me it was a no brainer to pay the extra amounts. The only unknown is death - you may die before you get back what you've paid in but I'm an optimist. 

4 hours ago, 'WellDel said:

Blueberry far out Melon-ing the other four.

I've recently got well into blueberries.

Edited by Girth

1 hour ago, bennett said:

I did exactly what that girl described a few weeks ago. My pace was just ever so slightly quicker than hers and I recognised I was gaining on her slowly. It was a one pavement road and I genuinely thought I could see her getting uncomfortable.

4 hours ago, Girth said:

I

I've recently got well into blueberries.

It's great going into Asda and seeing a pile of them sitting on the shelf with a yellow sticker on them. Got them for 42p a tub the other week and they were still in the fridge days later, absolutely fine.

2 hours ago, velo army said:

I don't think someone's perception of you as a threat should dictate how you behave.

I disagree. It’s just showing consideration for other people. I’ll often cross a road or speed up so I’m not tailing a woman. That’s probably sexist or something but I’d rather be sexist than get pepper sprayed.

6 hours ago, bennett said:

Haven't you read the news lately? 

All men are violent sex offenders now.

Edited by Empty It

6 hours ago, bennett said:

I act normally and they avoid me.

6 hours ago, hk blues said:

Slightly different circumstances  for me but similar - I live abroad so needed to make up x number of years contributions to achieve the full state pension.  It's a fairly simple calculation and decision - x amount per week to get an extra year's contribution to get x amount extra state pension.  For me it was a no brainer to pay the extra amounts. The only unknown is death - you may die before you get back what you've paid in but I'm an optimist. 

Aye, ‘I might die young’ is not the best approach to planning for retirement.

I’m sure you’ll live for a long time, but not long enough to see your team’s new stadium.

7 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Aye, ‘I might die young’ is not the best approach to planning for retirement.

I’m sure you’ll live for a long time, but not long enough to see your team’s new stadium.

The Wandering Jew will be lucky to see it.