Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

46 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I've found the quality of butcher meat has dropped everywhere. Used to be a clear difference in quality with supermarkets, but no longer. Campbells sausages in particular are dreadful now.  

The animals just don't seem to try as hard these days.

20 hours ago, BFTD said:

Our neighbours have a Bassett Hound that's the size of a St Bernard. Is this normal? I'd always thought they were fairly wee. Freaks me out when I'm doing the dishes and it's out in the garden, as I think my sense of depth perception has fucked up due to a tumour or something.

I'd take a picture but I don't want @Hedgecutter knowing where I live.

Bassett Hounds should have ears that are the same length as their legs..

56 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I've found the quality of butcher meat has dropped everywhere. Used to be a clear difference in quality with supermarkets, but no longer. Campbells sausages in particular are dreadful now.  

Not in my experience, still superior to supermarket stuff

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

Bassett Hounds should have ears that are the same length as their legs..

Not seen him yet today, but I don't remember them looking proportionally different to what I'd expect from a Bassett.

Apparently it's not that uncommon for them to grow to that size and they're considered a medium/large breed, so I guess I've only seen the wee ones. He's quite a chonky boy too, which probably helps with the overall Dogzilla look.

I'll just try to grab a picture. As DA says, Hedgecutter has detailed files on us already.

28 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Not seen him yet today, but I don't remember them looking proportionally different to what I'd expect from a Bassett.

Apparently it's not that uncommon for them to grow to that size and they're considered a medium/large breed, so I guess I've only seen the wee ones. He's quite a chonky boy too, which probably helps with the overall Dogzilla look.

I'll just try to grab a picture. As DA says, Hedgecutter has detailed files on us already.

Chap i worked with in my first job had a Bassett Hound. He also had twin sons. One day he was giving another employee a lift and mentioned "Hector" who was the Bassett Hound. Andy looked round into the back seat where the twins were and asked "Which one's Hector?".

On 08/04/2024 at 16:03, BFTD said:

Our neighbours have a Bassett Hound that's the size of a St Bernard. Is this normal? I'd always thought they were fairly wee. Freaks me out when I'm doing the dishes and it's out in the garden, as I think my sense of depth perception has fucked up due to a tumour or something.

I'd take a picture but I don't want @Hedgecutter knowing where I live.

We have an enormous Bassett Hound across the road from us.  My other half tells me the horrible winding tar marks along the middle of the pavement are the result of broadband cable installations, but I'm convinced it's the council infilling the trough caused by this lump of canine flab* getting taken out for a walk.

*not a hate crime 

Edited by Hedgecutter

8 hours ago, Derry Alli said:

Happy Thatcher's dead day x.

You're a day late 😞. As long as she's still dead the date is irrelevant I suppose. 

8 hours ago, Wacky said:

Some amount of water comes out the supermarket stuff though. 

I find that's just with the packs of breasts, not if you buy a whole chicken. I only ever buy whole chickens these days, partly for that reason.

4 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

We have an enormous Bassett Hound across the road from us.  My other half tells me the horrible winding tar marks along the middle of the pavement are the result of broadband cable installations, but I'm convinced it's the council infilling the trough caused by this lump of canine flab* getting taken out for a walk.

*not a hate crime 

I'm having a Mandela Effect moment with this - I swear Bassett Hounds were a small breed in the dimension I used to live in. Then again, I could probably count the number of them I've seen in person on one hand.

The owner was out in the garden earlier with their other dog, the breed of which I'd forgotten, but it's a smallish Labrador and it gets dwarfed by Kaiju Droopy. Really hoping he's not on P&B  :shutup

11 hours ago, scottsdad said:

^^^ pining for the "Special Stuff"

hilarybriss.jpg.5786d26c53c4c18fbdad007daca6e2ac.jpg

Mrs Salt and Vinegar just started getting hers... as she's what used to be called a "cradle snatcher" I don't get mine until next year.

Bit of concern though. I heard a phone in yesterday where the right of those with private pensions to also get the state pension came up. Means testing etc. If a head of steam gets behind that idea, there'll be trouble ahead.  

2 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Bit of concern though. I heard a phone in yesterday where the right of those with private pensions to also get the state pension came up. Means testing etc. If a head of steam gets behind that idea, there'll be trouble ahead.  

Don't see how they could make that one fly. If you've been paying your National Insurance as well as into a private scheme then how can they refuse to give it back to you?

1 hour ago, GordonD said:

Don't see how they could make that one fly. If you've been paying your National Insurance as well as into a private scheme then how can they refuse to give it back to you?

Not dealt with politicos much, have ya? Look at what happening to us. There's been yammerings for years about cutting Social Security for people with high income (hey've been doing it by stealth for years too, by taxing pensions, that should sound familiar). So, just wait, any bad idea that generates income is worth considering, and I'd be very surprised if they didn't look at something like you're hearing proposed too.

3 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Not dealt with politicos much, have ya? Look at what happening to us. There's been yammerings for years about cutting Social Security for people with high income (hey've been doing it by stealth for years too, by taxing pensions, that should sound familiar). So, just wait, any bad idea that generates income is worth considering, and I'd be very surprised if they didn't look at something like you're hearing proposed too.

State retirement pension isn't social security. The UK government have been making changes to reduce the burden, but it would take generation, at least to do away with it and none of them think that long term.

3 hours ago, GordonD said:

I wouldn't rule it out. It wasn't that long ago the Greek government was helping themselves to money from citizens' bank accounts and refusing to pay public sector workers.