Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

4 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

My mum and dad went to Salerno which is near Naples for a holiday a few years back. They said Salerno itself was lovely but other than Mt Vesuvius, thought Naples itself was a little disappointing, and was a bit of (literally) a dump, as when they visited Naples, some dispute had been going on for a while with the local council or whomever over refuse collection, and the streets of Naples were covered with piles of rubbish and bags of stinking garbage.

Camorra made millions, or even billions, from refuse contracts in Naples. Dumping it on the street or at the regular council tip made for decent profit margins.

Naples is genuinely one of the worst cities I have ever been to, it is a hovel of a place.  It reeks (as has been discussed, the rubbish situation is disgusting to say the least), you're constantly on the watch for child pickpockets, inner-city trains are worse than anywhere else I have been to in Italy and I always got the feeling that you were pretty unwelcome there.  

It has been ten years since I've been though, so it could have changed considerably, but I doubt it.

My favourite place in Italy is Elba, where Napoleon was exiled to.  Maybe a 90 minute drive from Pisa, and just over an hour on the ferry.  Spent a week working there, was amazing, didn't want to leave!

I'll take her to Venice and then break up with her.

Why are the flights there so cheap? I was checking to see the price for flying out on the 25th August which was £80 and to see if flights were likely to go up in price closer to the time i did a check for late January and you can fly there for £44!

1 minute ago, throbber said:

Why are the flights there so cheap? I was checking to see the price for flying out on the 25th August which was £80 and to see if flights were likely to go up in price closer to the time i did a check for late January and you can fly there for £44!

It's always more expensive in the summer, best to book early if you can. 

3 minutes ago, throbber said:

Is that to put her in the hold?

The Camorra also used to agree contracts to dispose of toxic waste from all over Italy and then just dump it at the side of the road or in landfill rather than disposing of it properly.  Great bunch of lads.

12 minutes ago, Kool Keith said:

I've always fancied going to Naples quite like an edgier atmosphere for a short time at least. 

Same. Can't be bothered with touristy pish. I'd always wanted to visit The Bronx since I was 14. 

5 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

Same. Can't be bothered with touristy pish. I'd always wanted to visit The Bronx since I was 14. 

There's parts of Berlin that fit that quite nicely and a lot cheaper to do. A lot of people from the gentrified parts of NYC have moved there. 

2 minutes ago, Kool Keith said:

There's parts of Berlin that fit that quite nicely and a lot cheaper to do. A lot of people from the gentrified parts of NYC have moved there. 

They're bigger fans of UK underground hip hop over there than they are in the UK. Massive scene.