Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

Just now, TxRover said:

Don’t have the previous set knocking around somewhere? Unless there was a massive prescription change, the last set is usually good enough for the time until a replacement set can be delivered.

I lost the previous set . This happened about six months ago too 😅

Just now, Smurph said:

I lost the previous set . This happened about six months ago too 😅

Ouch…if the lens on this “broken” set are still good, seeing if there’s a way to fix the frame enough for some use after you get a replacement might be worthwhile. If you lost a set, you aren’t that blind!

I’ve only “lost” a set once for a few minutes…the cat nicked them off the nightstand and hid them in the doorway…I found them by touch…foot touch!😳

On 31/08/2023 at 21:07, The DA said:

I'm taking a month out to do f**k-all other than whatever fancy takes me at 9 am each day.  After that, I might get serious.

Right, six weeks into retirement and I'm a bit disappointed.  You need a plan, some kind of interest that's going to take up most of your time. Aimless fucking about is fun for a wee while but gets a bit boring after a few weeks.

I'm off to do some study. I'm a bit of a renaissance man (read ADHD) but I need a bit more focus to give my retirement some shape.

9 minutes ago, The DA said:

Right, six weeks into retirement and I'm a bit disappointed.  You need a plan, some kind of interest that's going to take up most of your time. Aimless fucking about is fun for a wee while but gets a bit boring after a few weeks.

I'm off to do some study. I'm a bit of a renaissance man (read ADHD) but I need a bit more focus to give my retirement some shape.

I get a bit Iike that even with partial retirement, but I use time off for drinking and watching the telly. They really fill my day and give a sense of achievement. I watched all of I, Claudius over two days this week.

2 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I get a bit Iike that even with partial retirement, but I use time off for drinking and watching the telly. They really fill my day and give a sense of achievement. I watched all of I, Claudius over two days this week.

That's what I need - a sense of purpose.  Might watch the collected works of Mary Millington after that.

38 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

I am in Lanzarote at the moment and the temperature has been unreal for the time of the year,during the day it has not been less than 34c and just now at 9.48pm it is still 29c.

It’s been like that for weeks.  Most of the houses where we live are holiday rentals and only us and one other have air conditioning.

How folk staying over here without air con is beyond me.

5 hours ago, The DA said:

My retirement lasted about five weeks, the longest that I had ever been away from school/work since 1979. Spent most of it either sleeping or lazing around in front of the television. Death was coming fast. Ended up with the choice of divorce or back to work! 
Work was the cheaper/healthier option…

9 hours ago, Smurph said:

I managed to break my glasses last night. A pain which makes navigating through the next week difficult, but not the worst thing that could have happened. I’m wearing my sunglasses in the house.

Just opened my laptop and the screen on that has broken! No idea how that happened, must have bumped my bag or something. It will be an expensive month but I don’t know what to do with myself now. I’m pretty much housebound until I can see again.

Am I going to have to read a book? No, I’ll end up just spending even more time on my phone.

Did you take your broken specs off before looking at the 'broken'  laptop screen? 

10 hours ago, The DA said:

Get a packet of cacti seeds and grow them. 

You will soon get hooked (literally)

I have a few hundred now.

20220709_123503.jpg

12 hours ago, The DA said:

7 hours ago, supermik said:

My retirement lasted about five weeks, the longest that I had ever been away from school/work since 1979. Spent most of it either sleeping or lazing around in front of the television. Death was coming fast. Ended up with the choice of divorce or back to work! 
Work was the cheaper/healthier option…

Hmm, not sure I like the sound of that. I’m four weeks into mine and still at the ‘Woo Hoo! I’m not on holiday! I’m retired, no more work ever’ stage. You’re saying there’s less than two weeks of this euphoria left?

12 hours ago, The DA said:

Maybe we need a retirement thread where those retired can offer advice to others in a similar position or nearing retirement.

My advice would be walking (for exercise), lying about (for bodily relaxation), reading/listening to music (for mental relaxation), scrabble or equivalent (for mental acuity), and drinking wine (no explanation required).

I am 21 months into retirement and feel at times that I’m becoming zombified and that I’d like to be doing something meaningful again but then I remember the stress of working…

14 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Maybe we need a retirement thread where those retired can offer advice to others in a similar position or nearing retirement.

Not a bad idea tbh.

IME the "cliff edge" of Work -> Fuckall is not healthy.

13 hours ago, Smurph said:

I managed to break my glasses last night. A pain which makes navigating through the next week difficult, but not the worst thing that could have happened. I’m wearing my sunglasses in the house.

Just opened my laptop and the screen on that has broken! No idea how that happened, must have bumped my bag or something. It will be an expensive month but I don’t know what to do with myself now. I’m pretty much housebound until I can see again.

Am I going to have to read a book? No, I’ll end up just spending even more time on my phone.

I watched a sad documentary about how blind people get used to new surroundings. 

Touching stuff.