Gigs

pilsner_ffc

On 02/08/2024 at 21:32, AnderooMFC said:

6th time seeing Keane at the O2 Academy Edinburgh Corn Exchange last night. Sounding as good as ever, though the venue was absolutely roasting.

I was there anaw - they sounded great, and not even that loud.

Absolutely f**king roasting hot. 

On 31/07/2024 at 20:50, GrahamJags said:

Future Islands were excellent last night at the Kelvingrove Bandstand. Next up for me is the Friday night of Belle & Sebastian's weekender at SWG3. Them, Camera Obscura, The Joy Hotel and Mary In The Junkyard is some lineup.

I went to the original Bowlie weekend in 1999, and it was a very special festival, the best one I’ve ever attended with some amazing bands playing. It paved the way for All Tomorrow’s Parties, which for the first four or five years was just incredible. So, with Aberdeen playing on Monday, I had a weekender ticket for the Glasgow (Bowlie) Weekender. When I saw the line-up on Monday, I was a bit disappointed with it.

On Friday, I wasn't really a fan of Joy Hotel or Walt Disco, although I still enjoyed Mary in the Junkyard, Camera Obscura, and Belle and Sebastian. I saw Mary in the Junkyard at Dot to Dot festival in Bristol, and they were amazing, but I felt their performance here wasn't at the same level, with the guitar being a bit out of tune. Camera Obscura and Belle and Sebastian were good.

Saturday night had a better line-up, with me being excited to see Callum Easter, The Vaselines, CMAT, BIS, and Belle and Sebastian. The Cords were very young and played some decent music, although a bit samey. I thought Monica Queen was decent. I always like Callum Easter as he does things a bit differently from most artists, and this set was a bit different from what I’ve seen before, but I do like him, and I’m sure playing in Young Fathers will give him a bigger audience. BIS and The Vaselines were enjoyable as usual, although I’ve seen them a few times now. I was disappointed with CMAT as I do like quite a few of their songs, but they just didn't do it for me – maybe it was the rain! Belle and Sebastian were excellent on Saturday night.

SWG3 seemed to have hiked up their prices, and it felt like a bit of a rip-off – I can’t remember it being that expensive for drinks, and the food outlets were a shambles.

I also went to see Pip Blom at The Tunnels on Wednesday, which was an amazing gig. The crowd in Aberdeen was fantastic – something I don’t say very often – and it had the biggest queue for merchandise I’ve ever seen!

Before we go any further - get your slagging in now… I love the band Journey. Have done so since before they were commercial, with Steve Perry, the big hits, and the whole ‘Don’t Stop Believin’ thing. Loved their jazz-rock beginnings, have been with them all the way… had a ticket to see them in Newcastle in November, as I couldn’t make the Hydro gig. Today, they cancelled the entire 11 date UK arena tour, citing ‘reasons beyond the band’s control’…. Aye, the reason being shite ticket sales. You vastly over-estimated your appeal in the UK in 2024. Shouldn’t have booked the Hydros and O2’s… should have booked the Armadillos and so on…

Anyway, refund incoming. I guess then the last time I saw them will now be the last. Glasgow Apollo, 1979.

Life goes on. 😎

8 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Before we go any further - get your slagging in now… I love the band Journey. Have done so since before they were commercial, with Steve Perry, the big hits, and the whole ‘Don’t Stop Believin’ thing. Loved their jazz-rock beginnings, have been with them all the way… had a ticket to see them in Newcastle in November, as I couldn’t make the Hydro gig. Today, they cancelled the entire 11 date UK arena tour, citing ‘reasons beyond the band’s control’…. Aye, the reason being shite ticket sales. You vastly over-estimated your appeal in the UK in 2024. Shouldn’t have booked the Hydros and O2’s… should have booked the Armadillos and so on…

Anyway, refund incoming. I guess then the last time I saw them will now be the last. Glasgow Apollo, 1979.

Life goes on. 😎

Apparently two of the band members are embroiled in a bit of legal drama.and are taking each other to court. I wouldn't be surprised if ticket sales were low as well, but that will have something to do with it.

16 minutes ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

Apparently two of the band members are embroiled in a bit of legal drama.and are taking each other to court. I wouldn't be surprised if ticket sales were low as well, but that will have something to do with it.

I was in the HMV on Argyle St with my mate just over a month ago. He knows a guy who works in there. He told us he’d heard that ticket sales for the Journey Hydro gig were ‘pitiful’. It has to be that. Journey have had a huge renaissance in the USA on this, their 50th anniversary tour. Playing big stadiums. They must have thought they could sell out arenas here. Clearly not, not at about £80 or more a pop.

As an aside, no surprise that Jonathan Cain and Neal Schon are at it again.

I love their music, unapologetically… but I’ll live without seeing them live again. It is what it is, etc.

On 05/08/2024 at 10:57, betting competition said:

I went to the original Bowlie weekend in 1999, and it was a very special festival, the best one I’ve ever attended with some amazing bands playing. It paved the way for All Tomorrow’s Parties, which for the first four or five years was just incredible. So, with Aberdeen playing on Monday, I had a weekender ticket for the Glasgow (Bowlie) Weekender. When I saw the line-up on Monday, I was a bit disappointed with it.

On Friday, I wasn't really a fan of Joy Hotel or Walt Disco, although I still enjoyed Mary in the Junkyard, Camera Obscura, and Belle and Sebastian. I saw Mary in the Junkyard at Dot to Dot festival in Bristol, and they were amazing, but I felt their performance here wasn't at the same level, with the guitar being a bit out of tune. Camera Obscura and Belle and Sebastian were good.

Saturday night had a better line-up, with me being excited to see Callum Easter, The Vaselines, CMAT, BIS, and Belle and Sebastian. The Cords were very young and played some decent music, although a bit samey. I thought Monica Queen was decent. I always like Callum Easter as he does things a bit differently from most artists, and this set was a bit different from what I’ve seen before, but I do like him, and I’m sure playing in Young Fathers will give him a bigger audience. BIS and The Vaselines were enjoyable as usual, although I’ve seen them a few times now. I was disappointed with CMAT as I do like quite a few of their songs, but they just didn't do it for me – maybe it was the rain! Belle and Sebastian were excellent on Saturday night.

SWG3 seemed to have hiked up their prices, and it felt like a bit of a rip-off – I can’t remember it being that expensive for drinks, and the food outlets were a shambles.

I also went to see Pip Blom at The Tunnels on Wednesday, which was an amazing gig. The crowd in Aberdeen was fantastic – something I don’t say very often – and it had the biggest queue for merchandise I’ve ever seen!

The Cords? Are they the two young lassies playing jangly C86 stuff? I saw them in Dundee a few months ago. Like you say, decent but all the songs sounded the same.

Pip Blom blew the roof off Beat Generator last week. An amazing gig. The support act, Vanity Fairy, was hilarious. I really wasn't expecting that. 

35 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

The Cords? Are they the two young lassies playing jangly C86 stuff? I saw them in Dundee a few months ago. Like you say, decent but all the songs sounded the same.

Pip Blom blew the roof off Beat Generator last week. An amazing gig. The support act, Vanity Fairy, was hilarious. I really wasn't expecting that. 

Yes, I think so. For 16 and 18-year-olds, they certainly have a lot of musical talent: https://www.greenocktelegraph.co.uk/news/24493138.cords-join-belle-sebastian-glasgow-weekender/

Vanity Fair was very funny in Aberdeen, even though her music really wasn't my cup of tea.

Edited by betting competition

Finally got to see The Kimberly Steaks tonight at The Bungalow in Paisley. They are as brilliant live as they are on record. Glaswegian punk perfection.

Cracking supporting bill of Bad Year, Low Level Monk and Exotic Animals. Stellar night for £7.

20240807_220504.jpg

Friend's band just announced a support for September. If you are free on the 12th / like bands with female singers / like beer-fuelled good time rock n roll / know the headliner then Slyder Smith & The Oblivion Kids are playing Malone's in Glasgow. Tickets are £8 in advance and really what else could you be doing on a Thursday night?
...and if you are tempted, come down earlier and check our PowderKeg :)

I was in Halifax on Friday to see Korn, supported by Loathe. I never thought I would visit Halifax for a gig but the venue was really nice and well organised. Hopefully next year they get another band I like to play as I would be happy to visit again.

IMG_20240809_181407.thumb.jpg.ae45719d72dfff67f943cc2cb7fbfadd.jpgIMG_20240809_195736.thumb.jpg.e542abe70cacb9b66e9fd82b6da4aa86.jpgIMG_20240809_212426.thumb.jpg.851119fe74e210c8d2a2f63a531478c1.jpg

On 12/08/2024 at 11:03, NorthernLights said:

I was in Halifax on Friday to see Korn, supported by Loathe. I never thought I would visit Halifax for a gig but the venue was really nice and well organised. Hopefully next year they get another band I like to play as I would be happy to visit again.

IMG_20240809_181407.thumb.jpg.ae45719d72dfff67f943cc2cb7fbfadd.jpgIMG_20240809_195736.thumb.jpg.e542abe70cacb9b66e9fd82b6da4aa86.jpgIMG_20240809_212426.thumb.jpg.851119fe74e210c8d2a2f63a531478c1.jpg

Always wanted to go to The Piece Hall for a gig!

1 hour ago, doulikefish said:

Ac/DC croke park Dublin what a night. 

Not long in from it, absolutely belting show, a million miles and hour for their whole show

One thing ive noticed and thats at acdc, foos and springsteen last year, is you can barely hear the lead singers now over the instruments, 

Was also at AC/DC in Dublin. Incredible show, my wife's all time favourite and top of the bucket list band so glad we could make it happen for her before they inevitably call it a day. Got a good spot in the front of pitch standing, crowd were well up for it as well as the band.

If they can put on a show like that now, I'd have loved to have seen them even 15-20 years ago.

20240817_204809.thumb.jpg.8ded3bd64e6a7cce903faf8a18eb95e8.jpg

On 20/08/2024 at 08:59, Ex Machina said:

Was also at AC/DC in Dublin. Incredible show, my wife's all time favourite and top of the bucket list band so glad we could make it happen for her before they inevitably call it a day. Got a good spot in the front of pitch standing, crowd were well up for it as well as the band.

If they can put on a show like that now, I'd have loved to have seen them even 15-20 years ago.

20240817_204809.thumb.jpg.8ded3bd64e6a7cce903faf8a18eb95e8.jpg

First saw them in 1979 with Bon Scott at Glasgow Apollo. Now that was a show. Seen them every tour since but not this one. Really thought they'd have done Hampden again. 

Unsigned band I like (Jeanice Lee) just been added to the lineup for Rockinburgh 2024. On the 28th of September at La Belle Angele, and doors are at 2pm. Never been to the venue, never heard of it before, anyone any experience?

I was at Wythenshawe Park in Manchester on Saturday for New Order supported by Johnny Marr, Roisin Murphy (from Moloko) and Nadine Shah - really good night and very well run.

Johnny Marr was on top form - seemed to be really taken with playing a gig so local to where he grew up and brought on his childhood friend Billy Duffy from The Cult, who grew up on Wythenshawe Road, to play guitar on How Soon Is Now. New Order were maybe a touch rusty but still brilliant and Roisin Murphy is as mad as a box of frogs.