Gigs

pilsner_ffc

21 hours ago, Big Fifer said:

Anyone been to a stand alone gig at Royal Highland Showgrounds before? Obviously just been there for Connect as above but going back on Thursday for Paolo. I'm just gonna drive and have bought the parking ticket but I'm not sure whether it might be better to park at Ingliston P&R or elsewhere? 

Your parking ticket is a waste of money, no-one was checking tickets at The Killers last night, they were just ushering cars in. Maybe the sheer traffic jam numbers drove that decision.

From your username, I'm presuming you're coming over the bridge to get there? Whatever time you're reckoning for the journey, add an hour at least on.

We joined the queue on the M9, just where the Fife traffic filters onto the M9 too. Took us 90 mins from there, pretty frustrating. Missed Johnny Marr because of it, who I really wanted to see.

Getting back out after was ok, actually easier than getting in.

Car park tip - take a couple of minutes after you park to get a good handle on where you are. When you come back, it'll be dark, and cars will be starting to leave, so the nice neat rows won't be there. My What3Words plan failed spectacularly due to the usual lack of Internet issues at a huge event. Took us fucking ages to find our car again last night.

The killers were great last night. Did 5 songs from hot fuss, Jenny, smile like you mean it, somebody told me and all these things. They opened with Mr brightside which was a bold and brilliant move. Took everyone by surprise!

Car parking was the expected disaster with an hour to get out. At least it was dry!

Edited by ford prefect
No I don't have a cat to park...

3 hours ago, ford prefect said:

The killers were great last night. Did 5 songs from hot fuss, Jenny, smile like you mean it, somebody told me and all these things. They opened with Mr brightside which was a bold and brilliant move. Took everyone by surprise!

Car parking was the expected disaster with an hour to get out. At least it was dry!

Whole Of The Moon was a major surprise. 

Nice cover of This Charming Man in the encore too.

EDIT : Coming onstage to Fields Of Fire was braw too.

Edited by Boghead ranter

Going to see The Cult at the Barras.
Not seen them in ages but they're marketing it as "Death Cult" and the set will cover material from Southern Death Cult, Death Cult, Dreamtime and Love. Some of that material hasn't been played in decades so definitely looking forward to hearing stuff like God's Zoo and Moya.

7 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

Your parking ticket is a waste of money, no-one was checking tickets at The Killers last night, they were just ushering cars in. Maybe the sheer traffic jam numbers drove that decision.

From your username, I'm presuming you're coming over the bridge to get there? Whatever time you're reckoning for the journey, add an hour at least on.

We joined the queue on the M9, just where the Fife traffic filters onto the M9 too. Took us 90 mins from there, pretty frustrating. Missed Johnny Marr because of it, who I really wanted to see.

Car park tip - take a couple of minutes after you park to get a good handle on where you are. When you come back, it'll be dark, and cars will be starting to leave, so the nice neat rows won't be there. My What3Words plan failed spectacularly due to the usual lack of Internet issues at a huge event. Took us fucking ages to find our car again last night.

Cheers, I'm based in Glasgow now so will be battering along the M8 to get there. Unfortunately with the last train being 23:45 I think its too much of a risk getting back to Haymarket in time as I'd imagine the show will go on until half 10 at least much like Connect. Think I'm gonna take a stab at Ingliston P&R first as I think the escape route might be a bit quicker from there. 

1 hour ago, Big Fifer said:

Cheers, I'm based in Glasgow now so will be battering along the M8 to get there. Unfortunately with the last train being 23:45 I think its too much of a risk getting back to Haymarket in time as I'd imagine the show will go on until half 10 at least much like Connect. Think I'm gonna take a stab at Ingliston P&R first as I think the escape route might be a bit quicker from there. 

Ah fair enough.

In that case, while we were in the Q last night, traffic news was saying that M8 traffic was slow and heavy from Newbridge right back to Livingston. 

The Killers were absolutely sensational last night. Kicking things off with Mr Brightside really set the tone for the show with hit after hit and barely a breath in between. 

With rumours of an impending hiatus to work on a different style of music it did somewhat feel like a last hurrah, for the time being, with Brandon performing like a man possessed at times and getting emotional during The Whole of the Moon. 

All four founding members being on stage was a nice touch if it is going to be the last we see of the band for a while. 

Given that Mr Brightside was spent, it wasn't missed from the encore with The Man (even managed to grab a couple of TK dollars!), This Charming Man with the also excellent Johnny Marr & When You Were Young providing an excellent send off! 

Roll on the Hot Fuss 20th anniversary tour... 🤞

20230829_190403.jpg

20230829_215813.jpg

20230830_163421.jpg

Two gigs this weekend. 

H

Gelatine's EP Launch show at The Old Hairdressers on Friday with Lloyd's House, Big Girl's Blouse and the Bleeders. Should be a good night of local punk.

And then Hot Mulligan and Spanish Love Songs on Sunday at SWG3. Cannot wait to finally see SLS live.

17 hours ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

Two gigs this weekend. 

H

Gelatine's EP Launch show at The Old Hairdressers on Friday with Lloyd's House, Big Girl's Blouse and the Bleeders. Should be a good night of local punk.

And then Hot Mulligan and Spanish Love Songs on Sunday at SWG3. Cannot wait to finally see SLS live.

SLS are fantastic live - and are playing the Garage in January.

Edited by George Parr

On 30/08/2023 at 07:33, Boghead ranter said:

How??? Took our couch an hour and a half to get out. The roads were too narrow for two coaches to comfortably pass each other. Heard that a van was in the wrong lane and "carved up a car and hit it as they exited" to the main road. Also the 5 random taxis that drove over the field instead of on the road and tried to cut the que didn't help.

Got there back of 8am. There was 46 people already, first had been there since 2.30am. Hardcore fans call themselves The Victims and are mental. Think I've got sunburn on my nose from sitting in the sun watching the planes take off all morning. Predictably, one security guard after scanning trying to hold us all back was not gonna work for very long and everyone eventually sprinted. Got barrier, nearly in the middle. Worth it.

Also at Blink on Saturday. Have early entry for that so no need to show up at such crazy hours again.

Paolo was absolutely excellent last night. Nailed it, great cover of Stealers Wheel, his acoustic end to the set was magical, Iron Sky incredible.

That being said, our time was kinda ruined by the folk we were next to. When we saw him in December, we ended up next to absolute bams at the hydro but managed to move away from them after 15-20 minutes. I can't tell if I'm just getting more intolerant at the ripe old age of 30, but do folk just not know how to behave at gigs anymore? We moved after Inhaler after being stuck in front of a batch of bams again, but failed to account for the plethora of Edinburgh Uni Yah's who rocked up about 3 songs in, spent the entire gig bumping into folk including us, spoke through EVERY SINGLE SONG including when Paolo opened Iron Sky just himself. During a bit of quiet during that opening and they shout out "I LOVE THIS SOUND OF SILENCE!", clearly weren't actually there for the gig, constantly taking photos with the flash on in folks face, made weird comments to folk around them including us,  almost wiped out two young lassies in front of them taking photos at stupid times and when one of our pals told them to pack it said "yeah but we never get to see each other all together!!", and just generally being annoying c***s. They left 3 songs before the end having completed their mission of ruining our night. Of course, folk can read that and say "just move" but when you're quite far forward and you're a group of 6ft4 lads, its not quite as easy as that. We tend to "get into position" quite early so folk can't be upset at our height. We move, we become the c***s. 

I don't know if it's covid or whatever but folk in general just seem generally untrained at going to shows these days, and the juxtaposition between that crowd last night and every single sound person at Connect last weekend was stark. Still, Paolo doing some new music next year for anyone interested. 

24 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

. Of course, folk can read that and say "just move" but when you're quite far forward and you're a group of 6ft4 lads, its not quite as easy as that. We tend to "get into position" quite early so folk can't be upset at our height.

As an also 6'4"er, I say f**k 'em, stand where you want.

When short people stop reclining airline seats into my knees, I'll start considering their needs at gigs.

ETA - or when shorties at gigs stop holding their phone above their head taking crappy videos. Thus putting their phone right in my line of sight.

Edited by Boghead ranter

24 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

Paolo was absolutely excellent last night. Nailed it, great cover of Stealers Wheel, his acoustic end to the set was magical, Iron Sky incredible.

That being said, our time was kinda ruined by the folk we were next to. When we saw him in December, we ended up next to absolute bams at the hydro but managed to move away from them after 15-20 minutes. I can't tell if I'm just getting more intolerant at the ripe old age of 30, but do folk just not know how to behave at gigs anymore? We moved after Inhaler after being stuck in front of a batch of bams again, but failed to account for the plethora of Edinburgh Uni Yah's who rocked up about 3 songs in, spent the entire gig bumping into folk including us, spoke through EVERY SINGLE SONG including when Paolo opened Iron Sky just himself. During a bit of quiet during that opening and they shout out "I LOVE THIS SOUND OF SILENCE!", clearly weren't actually there for the gig, constantly taking photos with the flash on in folks face, made weird comments to folk around them including us,  almost wiped out two young lassies in front of them taking photos at stupid times and when one of our pals told them to pack it said "yeah but we never get to see each other all together!!", and just generally being annoying c***s. They left 3 songs before the end having completed their mission of ruining our night. Of course, folk can read that and say "just move" but when you're quite far forward and you're a group of 6ft4 lads, its not quite as easy as that. We tend to "get into position" quite early so folk can't be upset at our height. We move, we become the c***s. 

I don't know if it's covid or whatever but folk in general just seem generally untrained at going to shows these days, and the juxtaposition between that crowd last night and every single sound person at Connect last weekend was stark. Still, Paolo doing some new music next year for anyone interested. 

Definitely seen an uprising of entitled c***s at gigs that think because they've bought a ticket they can act however they want f**k everybody else.

11 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

When short people stop reclining airline seats into my knees, I'll start considering their needs at gigs.

Aye, I think we might have to adopt this position from now on. It's shite, because I swear it wasn't like this a few years ago (or certainly not as extensive). I think there has to be either a post-covid or generational thing, because as I say, the crowd at Connect last week were probably averaging 30 or so and everyone was sound and knew how to behave at a show. The chatting thing is the one that does it for me, if you want to chat the whole way through and catch up with your pals, go to the pub!!

1 hour ago, Big Fifer said:

Firstly, really sorry to read that your night was ruined by these cretins @Big Fifer, but sadly this behaviour does seem to becoming more and more common at gigs and as someone who is a regular gig go'er, I'm actually starting to question if I can be arsed going now. You are right, it seems to be since covid, people just do not care. I've never understood the mentality of people who get absolutely smashed and attend gigs, but I'm now even sure that this behaviour or the behaviour that I am referring too, is alcohol/drug induced, just simply people who don't give a flying f**k who they p off. It's not just youngsters either, woman in their 50's obviously on a day out away from their husbands at Tide Lines Usher Hall were the same, as were 40 something blokes at White Buffalo.....mental. Feel your pain mate, honestly don't know what you can do. 

As someone 6f 4.......maybe shrinking to 6ft 2ish....then I know what you mean about moving, have to say that I'm the same, pick my spot early and do my best to stick to it, maybe people like us are the mugs and are just too considerate 

1 hour ago, Boghead ranter said:

Honestly wish I could be more like this!!!