Unpopular opinions.

23 minutes ago, Jamaldo said:

Having children looks like an utterly horrendous experience and anyone who says it's rewarding and that they enjoy it is almost certainly lying.

Maybe if concentrating on the negatives.

The gains outweigh the negatives by a distance and a depth. Rewarding is one word, sure. I'd go further and say deeply meaningful, perhaps the most meaningful thing most of us can do.

The adjective 'enjoy' though could only really be used as the definitive metric by someone who has never had kids and defines prospects in their life based on how enjoyable those prospects are.

Edited by banana

Graffiti "artists" are just vandals. Tags are pish, this isn't downtown New York. And those morons who got run over by a train in Central London should have known better than to spray paint on a busy railway line. 

And while I'm on the subject Banksy is an overrated cnut. 

9 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Graffiti "artists" are just vandals. Tags are pish, this isn't downtown New York. And those morons who got run over by a train in Central London should have known better than to spray paint on a busy railway line. 

Proper graffiti art can be excellent.  Everything else is rubbish.  I've seen some 'North Stand Boys' stuff around Inverness lately (the wannabe Caley Thistle hardmen who are actually wee boys who listen to Oasis).  Making your town look ugly is a really good way to support you team....

Edited by Highland Capital

2 hours ago, throbber said:

Scottish people complain far too much about England at the World Cup.

Not sure how this can be quantified really since no other country in the world will be subjected to blanket coverage of another countries progress in the same way we are.

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Not sure how this can be quantified really since no other country in the world will be subjected to blanket coverage of another countries progress in the same way we are.

I'm sure Comrade Throbber meant that we should stop complaining and take direct action. We've got to get up off our arses and stop just talking about it. We could sit around here all day talking, passing resolutions, making clever speeches. It's not going to shift one English commentator!

Don’t get me wrong I want to see them humped out but World Cup fever is on and the majority of people who are watching ItV and BBC are English and want to hear about England.

Someone (possibly you) was complaining about the footage of fans celebrating in front of big screens up and down the country. There are few things that are more enjoyable in life than a piss up on a lovely summers day whilst watching your team play at the World Cup!
That wasnt me

9 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Banksy  is shite and his preachy, 6th form political stance is downright embarrassing.

The whole Banksy v Robbo thing a few years ago was just tedious pish...

2 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I'm sure Comrade Throbber meant that we should stop complaining and take direct action. We've got to get up off our arses and stop just talking about it. We could sit around here all day talking, passing resolutions, making clever speeches. It's not going to shift one English commentator!

Absolutely brother (or sister) BigFatTabbyDave , we have to form an emergency committee immediately for urgent, priority debate. All those in favour?

Edited by NewBornBairn

Yes I do, I just think too many people are too readily annoyed about it all and pick petty things to complain about.
I get annoyed when people question my right to be annoyed. I need to balance out the joy in my life with a few bits and pieces to get really crabbit and petty about.

On the recommendation of someone here, I've found listening to the radio stream to be far less partisan than the TV audio normally is.

Plus, you get interruptions from a cricket match that's already being broadcast on another station, during which one of the football teams will inevitably score. What's not to like?  <_<

This is fair enough, people are still going overboard with the complaints about the English though like they do at every World Cup. The hysteria from Scotland if we were at the World Cup would be the exact same.
It wouldn't though. I don't think we'd ever think ourselves contenders like the English media think England are. We'd go on and on about reaching the tournament and that part doesn't bother me in the slightest with regards to the English media. It's the fact they go on as if they are anything other than an average side. They way they reacted to beating Panama you'd think they'd just crushed a top side. They beat a poor Panama side with only one goal coming from open play ffs.

To read certain pundits then slate how bad Panama were shows their complete lack of respect towards their opponents (the same way they did with Iceland before they were knocked out by them). It's the arrogance of the media and pundits that pisses me off. I've no issue with the side or Southgate.

5 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

It wouldn't though. I don't think we'd ever think ourselves contenders like the English media think England are. We'd go on and on about reaching the tournament and that part doesn't bother me in the slightest with regards to the English media. It's the fact they go on as if they are anything other than an average side. They way they reacted to beating Panama you'd think they'd just crushed a top side. They beat a poor Panama side with only one goal coming from open play ffs.

To read certain pundits then slate how bad Panama were shows their complete lack of respect towards their opponents (the same way they did with Iceland before they were knocked out by them). It's the arrogance of the media and pundits that pisses me off. I've no issue with the side or Southgate.

7 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Before my time but weren't we a half decent side back then? We're a mediocre side now and England are average. Neither of us will be winning a World Cup any time soon.

The team was living off the success of 77. In the home internationals we got beat by the English and drew with the Welsh & NI. We were spectacularly average over those three games (fantastic Willie Donachie OG though) but somehow still managed to let the media convince us we were going to do really well.

I genuinely think the kick in the balls 78 gave us had an impact on the Devolution vote the next year.